Author Topic: Am I the only real Life Glider pilot in Aces High?  (Read 399 times)

Offline GrinBird

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.aasvk.dk
Am I the only real Life Glider pilot in Aces High?
« on: November 24, 2006, 09:00:09 AM »

Through AcesHigh I found my inner pilot. I became a real life pilot in my Soaring Club in Denmark, where soaring in gliders is one of the cheapest ways to become a pilot.
It seems to me that Soaring is kind of forgotten in USA in spite of the fact that most of the states has some of the best soaring weather in the world.

I made a Google search on the words soaring club texas glider - and among other things i found this cool little video

There are also several good Soaringsimulators if you wanna try it on the computer first. I use Condor

Soaring is best during summer, but I really can recommend Soaring if you wanna be a real life Pilot, without spending a fortune.

Best regards
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 09:47:05 AM by GrinBird »

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 09:40:22 AM »
nope.

(nice aeroplane)

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 09:44:03 AM »
Soaring sounds great.  Be one with the natural forces of nature, like sailing, hang gliding, windsurfing, and surfing.  

But ultimately comes the temptation, noise, and efficiency of engine-powered mobility.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 10:11:39 AM »
Originally posted by Halo
Soaring sounds great.  Be one with the natural forces of nature, like sailing, hang gliding, windsurfing, and surfing.  

But ultimately comes the temptation, noise, and efficiency of engine-powered mobility.

Or the temptation to use one of them emergency parachutes ;) :aok
Current ID: Romanov

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

'I AM DID NOTHING WRONG' - Famous last forum words by legoman

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 11:52:53 AM »
Who says you are real???? You're just a fig newton of Laz's imagination..........
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline crowMAW

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 02:55:34 PM »
Nope...got my PPL-G as well.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 04:32:40 PM »
I was a glider pilot in the past ,but wife and kids killed my budget :)

I'm seriously thinking on getting Condor but I've already to few time to play AH  (and it's the only game I play) so ...

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 05:27:30 PM »
gliding is amazing, and ive almost done more of it than powered flight, not that ive done alot of either. I have been every time in the one you have pictured, with the brakes on the wings just like that! there is something magical about the only noise you can hear being the air rushing through the vent in the front of the canopy, and that the only thing holding you in the air is heat.

i performed my very first loop the loop in a glider, and it was right over my house :) the gliding club is 2 miles from me but as always time and money dont allow frequent trips.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline LLv34 Jarsci

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 05:53:10 PM »
I got my glider pilots licence in back in 1998. Only thing I remember well is that one misty day we found a rc aeroplane hanging from the tree...

And the lone HOT girl on my course "happened" to wander into my trailer where I was sleeping. Bad thing because I had just started dating my recent wife/GF/whatever and I said bugger off (well...I didnīt but I didnīt do anything while She was lying on top of me.... )

Can you guess how many times I have thought that what if.........???

DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN............grrr..

PS.

I got my PPL at 2001 and havent flown gliders since.
And because I am an ATC officer I see planes daily.... You dont hang around your  workshop after worktime very much (that why I got only 85 hrs logged in 5 yrs...)

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 06:57:53 PM »
Nope, you're not alone. Although I haven't had my butt strapped into a real fibre-glass pickle fork since the middle nineties :(.

asw
asw
Latrine Attendant, 1st class
semper in excretio, solum profundum variat

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 07:14:46 PM »
I have flown in a glider, but never got a liscense.  I like the cooling comfort of a fan up front.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 07:38:17 PM »
Reynolds is currently taking lessons...

See this thread

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Reynolds

• Gold Member
      • http://flyingknights.csmsites.com
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 10:00:57 PM »
lol widewing! You REMEMBER ME!!!! YAY!!! lol. Yeah, im training in gliders at the moment myself, got 6.5 hours as of last week.

Offline Casca

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 10:40:39 PM »
CFIG since 1986
I'm Casca and I approved this message.