Author Topic: I CAN FLY, I CAN FLY, I CAN FLY, but...  (Read 480 times)

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
I CAN FLY, I CAN FLY, I CAN FLY, but...
« on: May 22, 2000, 02:31:00 PM »
Well after being grounded for 4 weeks I was finally able to fly!  Good thing to because I was close to closing my account. <sigh of relief>

Anyway, now my joystick is spiking, mostly in the pitch. So much so I can't really fly a fighter, but workable in a bomber. Nash suggested I clean my pots. I told him my toilet had nothing to do with how well I fly, though some might argue that.   He went on to explain the pots in my joystick might need cleaning and the disks inside it might need to be wiped clean.  

Apart from that what else could cause spiking?

Win 95
Pent II 300
64 RAM
CH Combat Stick
CH Rudder Pedals
CH GC3 Game card
SB Live Value card
Viper 770 ultra
directx 7.0a or something like that

Latest drivers in everything.

Thanks in advance.  
------------------------
daddog
332nd Flying Mongrels
Snapshots
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2000, 06:45:00 PM »
 Try upping or lowering the CH gamecard setting to see if that helps.  From [start] go to [run] and launch the CH program GC3MENU.EXE
 Select "V" for setting the Value. Move your stick around a moment and then pull it all the way down to the bottom right and check the X and Y reading under Joystick A. It should be about 225-245. Raise your CH gamecard value (or lower it) to get the value for Joystick A's x and y axis to 225-245. This may take a few tries. And I think you should recalibrate your stick under the JCenter menu choice in between a few of these tries. when you are done the program will prompt you to save the setting in your autoexec.bat file. Do it. It doesn't rquire a reboot.
 I am set for 17 and my value is about 232 and the stick is smooth.

-Westy

p.s. When you're finished recalibrate in windows and then AH too. It's redundant but it works and the stick being analog it will need recalibrating every now and then. But it's alot less when I do it this way.

[This message has been edited by Westy (edited 05-22-2000).]

Offline indian

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2000, 11:50:00 PM »
I have much the same set up but I use the beta CHdriver from the CH web site its much better.

------------------
Tommy (INDIAN) Toon
  1st Aces High Trainer Corps.
Home of The Allied Fighter Wing A.F.W.
A.F.W. Homepage

Offline daddog

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2000, 08:04:00 AM »
Indian, maybe I should try that beta driver. Where is it? I looked all over there site.

Westy, I go to the CH game card manual adjust.  Following your directions I bring my card down to 13 which is just about right going by the numbers you gave me. I choose "yes" to change the autoexec.bat.  It asks me "which disk"? I choose "C". Then it says "An autoexec.bat was found on C. Is this the boot disk you want to modify"? I choose "yes". I then press "ESC" to exit.  Problem is every time I go back to check the new settings it is back to 15.   Does not save the the lower setting.

[This message has been edited by daddog (edited 05-23-2000).]
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2000, 08:33:00 AM »
 Odd     Try editing your autoexec.bat with notepad and set the number in thier to 13 manually. Save your autoexec to a floppy first just in case of an error. That should do it for you.
  BTW. last night my stick was WAY off, could get reply when pulling the stick back towards me.  It took four times to calibrate it in the CH program and then twice in Windows. I like analog stuff but sometimes it is a PITA.
 Indian is what you're refering to this?

ftp://ftp.chproducts.com/pub/BetaSoftware/CHJoy98.exe

Is that for Win98 only or can Win95 users benefit too? And how is it different than the old CH utility?  I 've never used it as I've not had much of any problem and I'd hate to induce one now. Buty I am real curious. Have any screen shots on what the difference is??
 Thanks  

-Westy

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2000, 03:05:00 PM »
Here's a completely different idea that you may not have tried.  If you have the option, uncheck "poll with interupts" under properties of your gameport in device manager.

This fixes the problem for some people.

Also, do you have dx7 or 7a.  7.0 caused a lot of spikes for me (and many others) that dx7a fixed.  If you want to check your version, just run dxdiag and see what the DX version number is.  If it ends in .0700 that is 7.0.  7a ends with .0716 I think.

There is a small 250k patch to go from 7 to 7a at www.microsoft.com/directx

Good Luck!

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline daddog

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2000, 05:29:00 PM »
Bloom, I have installed 7a twice.   Also have tried it with the poll on and off.  

Westy, thanks for all your ideas.  Tried them but it still spikes so much in the pitch I can't even
think about flying a fighter.  I am not much into the buffs... so I am not flying at all. With the
spikes I crash 1/2 the time on take off.    I calibrated it manually and it lowerd it to 13 which
was just about right, but still spikes.

I took apart my CH Combat stick and put in the new pots. I did notice a small improvement whe
the new pots but still not flyable. Still spikes.    

Did the whole works again and installed the CH card first so it would have first choice in
address. Calibrates fine, but spikes in the pitch to no end.  

Right now I have a USB CH Combat Stick on order. Should get it by Wed of next week.  If that
does not do it....  Really at a loss here.

I can't believe all this is from a simple reformat.

332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure