Author Topic: Did HTC stop watering the "Map Tree"  (Read 986 times)

Offline Atoon

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Did HTC stop watering the "Map Tree"
« on: November 26, 2006, 09:24:48 PM »
I've been hearing alot of people complain about stale maps, and I must say I agree, we have what? - 3 maps in rotation now- maybe 4????

This brings a question to my mind- "who makes the maps?" I remember back in the day HTC made maps, and they were all we ever had to use. Then a few people asked for the map-maker program and several months later we were playin on a couple new maps made by players. Since then the ONLY new maps I recall, were made by players. Now it seems ONLY players make maps, and apparently not many ("none") do anymore.

Does HTC still make maps?
Does HTC reward players that make acceptable/playable maps?
Is there any new maps coming?
What happened to all the old maps we used to play on?

For COD's sake man- THROW US A BONE!!!!
Thanx for addressing the signature issue FAIRLY, I am morally aloud to patronize your business again. I am Anton & Uknome, Current game-ID Anton1.   *-Brown Nosers STINK!-*

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 09:56:02 PM »
*throws*

See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 04:06:44 AM »
Atoon, making a map for the Main Arenas is incredibly complicated. You need to get the field placing even, you need to get the strat working correct. you need to please buffers, base takers, furballers, GVers, mission flyers, lonewolfs, providing possible fight opportunities for everyone.

Like HT has said in the past: HTC are very busy finnishing the last touches of combat tour. Want them to go mapmaking *instead*?

Yes, HT accepts custom maps for the MA. As long as they fit their criterias for the Main Arena. If you plan on making one, its best to browse the board, there are multiple threads on maps that were in the making before the changes, where HT chimed in and stated what he required of them. Its also recommended, that once you have an idea outlined, to check back with them by email (before you go through the laborous process of building the map and not have it accepted because of layout/objects).

Check the Terrain Forum for help if needed. Denholm made a guide on how to use the Terrain Editor (if you need that).

PS: BTW, we have at least two new MA maps since the change: Stall and Beta2.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline SkyChimp03

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 04:14:40 AM »
Originally posted by Schatzi
Atoon, making a map for the Main Arenas is incredibly complicated. You need to get the field placing even, you need to get the strat working correct. you need to please buffers, base takers, furballers, GVers, mission flyers, lonewolfs, providing possible fight opportunities for everyone.

Like HT has said in the past: HTC are very busy finnishing the last touches of combat tour. Want them to go mapmaking *instead*?

Yes, HT accepts custom maps for the MA. As long as they fit their criterias for the Main Arena. If you plan on making one, its best to browse the board, there are multiple threads on maps that were in the making before the changes, where HT chimed in and stated what he required of them. Its also recommended, that once you have an idea outlined, to check back with them by email (before you go through the laborous process of building the map and not have it accepted because of layout/objects).

Check the Terrain Forum for help if needed. Denholm made a guide on how to use the Terrain Editor (if you need that).

PS: BTW, we have at least two new MA maps since the change: Stall and Beta2.

Not really just takes forever <- should know i've made 2 ma maps one snow (not accepted) and another i deleted cause of elv...:cry Just takes awhile to get use to

Offline Laurie

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 06:58:50 AM »
clifra jones  has nearly finished a REALLY nice one, speak to him, or ayebe he could put a pic up here,, three main islands with soem rel nice islands in midle, and they're not just owned by one country, see the pic and you'll see what i mean.

<>

Offline Atoon

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 09:47:42 AM »
I wish I had time to learn how to make maps, but I prolly still rather play instead:p

I'm still curious about all the old maps like Trinty & Mindinao, and I know there were others, I just can't think of them- Cant they be re-constructed or updated to work again?

I def. want HTC working on CT, but current maps are quite stale, It really sucks to have this big "Race for Reset" and only have 3 maps in rotation.
Thanx for addressing the signature issue FAIRLY, I am morally aloud to patronize your business again. I am Anton & Uknome, Current game-ID Anton1.   *-Brown Nosers STINK!-*

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
      • http://rogerdee.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 11:01:10 AM »
making a map once you understnad how to is not hard.

Getting one to main arena standards  is
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

it does what it says on the tin

Offline BugsBunny

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 11:21:14 AM »

Well. . . .  yes.  That is who we pay isn't it?  I can wait a few more weeks for CT :lol

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 11:32:44 AM »
2 (two) weeks :aok
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 02:07:04 PM »
Originally posted by BugsBunny
Well. . . .  yes.  That is who we pay isn't it?  I can wait a few more weeks for CT :lol

Oh. Then of course HT and crew have to immediatly drop CT and start working on maps. My bad. ;)
21 is only half the truth.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 02:47:34 PM »
I know for a fact that there are maps submitted and waiting approval.

But, keep in mind that Skuzzy has a ton of things to do. He handles phone, email and BBS support questions, CT maps, server problems/setups, baby sits those who need it in the BBS, and if I'm not mistaken he also has his hands in writing the terrain editor itself. And that's only what I can think off off the top of my head.

Now considering all of that, he has to do 'his thing' with any map submitted before it gets into any of the MAs to be sure it doesn't crash the server.

Time is NOT Skuzzy's friend.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline BugsBunny

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 03:04:54 PM »
Oh. Then of course HT and crew have to immediatly drop CT and start working on maps. My bad. ;)

Not immediatly Schatz, although that would not be a bad idea either.  All I hear is cant do that cause they are working on CT.  How long are we going to use the CT excuse? They had time to redo the F4Us didn't they?  In anycase, the easyest thing to do would be to put the big maps back into the rotation.  Also, if I recall, HT said in the past that they would not accept any small maps.  So the players developed big maps for free of charge to HTC for wich HTC charged us a fee to use.  Then, they removed them from the rotation.  
When do you think we are going to see them back?  Does the completion of CT have anything to do with when we will see new maps?  Not really.  HT will wait until the players create some maps for free for them.
Maybe you as a representative of the company can explain it better?  Do you think after the completion of CT in 2 weeks, HT will allocate resources in the developing of new maps?

Offline SINNER

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 03:18:34 PM »
Originally posted by SkyChimp03
Not really just takes forever <- should know i've made 2 ma maps one snow (not accepted) and another i deleted cause of elv...:cry Just takes awhile to get use to

:cry

So I take it this is too complicated for anyone to actually do one then? We have forums and tools and guidelines etc, where people discuss, and plan and ..... what?

Still 3 or 4 maps in the rotation. So all the map making discussions are just academic?

I'm so confused

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2006, 03:26:13 PM »
When one submits a new map to HTC, even though it is fully functional in H2H, it has to be rebuilt at HTC to work on multiplayer servers. The common MA maps are not that time consuming, but there are also special event maps which are customized and require a lot more of Skuzzy's time.

Like mentioned above, They simply have their hands full now. Be patient and u will eventually get some new maps.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2006, 03:28:35 PM »
Originally posted by Laurie
clifra jones  has nearly finished a REALLY nice one, speak to him, or ayebe he could put a pic up here,, three main islands with soem rel nice islands in midle, and they're not just owned by one country, see the pic and you'll see what i mean.

<>

Latest pics are here http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=189876

Since this post I have bases in, Vehicle spawns, 2 of 3 countries CVs. Need to finish CVs, roads and trains, tweek the tile placements and make a better clipboard map (SkyChimp, I'll take yu up on that offer).

Like people have said, it is very time consuming. The TE is very unforgiving in a lot of ways. In many instances you have to create something, close the TE, the re-open it in order to work on what you just created. Though a lot of folks had written some good info about the TE, documentation on how to do things is sparse.

Doing elevations is hard. The TE just doesn't cut it for this. There are 3rd party tools like Terragen and World Maker but I when back to using a PaintShop greyscale drawing.

The deal is patients for now. We need the time to make them, test them and for HTC to approve them.