Author Topic: The Flawed Updated AH  (Read 2936 times)

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
The Flawed Updated AH
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2006, 10:34:54 AM »
Originally posted by B@tfinkV
fair point, i just think WE ALL brought these restrictions on ourself.

The problem in self blame is there is no collective self to blame.  When social enginering one has to consider human nature.  The perk point bonus will encourage folks to switch sides if they have any propensity to do so.  The gang bangers will go for the higher numbers anyway and folks like me, who would perfer to fly in the early and midwar arenas won't do so nearly as much since they rarely have critical mass.  Every carrot should be used to bring folks in to these arenas lest they languish like the ava arena.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Re: The Flawed Updated AH
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2006, 10:36:52 AM »
Originally posted by rabbidrabbit
You don't need eny restrictions with low numbers when you have perk point bonus to encourage the same thing.  A carrot is much more effective than a stick when you don't have authority.

With all due respect, carrot doesn't do anything, or there'd be no ENY restriction in the first place.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
The Flawed Updated AH
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2006, 10:52:42 AM »
Originally posted by RTGorkle
Also, anyone know how I can get rid of the stinking "RT" on the front of my Forum handle?

Put an air freshener next to it, then it wouldn't stink.
I believe an email to support @ hitechcreations dot com would be required there.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Wurger

• Copper Member
The Flawed Updated AH
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2006, 11:05:08 AM »
I agree that in the low numbered EW and MW arenas, the ENY balancer can cause some problems.  Take last night in EW - there were around 25 nits and 25 rooks on and they were primarily concetrated and having a great fight in the A1/A43 area, but because there were only 9 bish, the ENY would not let either the rooks or the nits take any plane greater than 10.  So in this case, some players from both rook and nit would have to switch and be unable to participate in the good fight because the arena needs balance.

Because of the low numbers and large amount of bases in the EW and MW arenas, I don't think we really need to worry about "balancing" as anyone looking for a good fight will do that on their own.  If the don't, they will get pretty bored as there will not be anyone to fight!

With the advent to these new arenas, I used to automatically switch to the lowest numbered side when I logged in.  However, many times that would mean that I would not be able to find any fights as they would be going on between the two countries with the most numbers.  Now, I log in, look to see where the fight is and then switch to the lowest numbered side that is in the fight.

So please remove the ENY limiter unless there are over 100 players in the arena!
Bazi
The Flying Circus

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
some good thoughts so far
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2006, 11:05:37 AM »
I personally donn't have a problem with eny in late war, just the early and mid war, those are the ones that are useless with the current small selection of planes.
Wow, donn't get me started on the country switching!:O  I think that's one of the most aggravating things here! I'm surprised no one has figured out the way to use the numbers against the successful country/field capture leader yet. :) I do know how to use it against them, but unfortunately can never get the amount of people to join me that would screw the leader. Personally i think if you switch countries, your there for 30 days, no exceptions. That would stop a lot of the spies and cv thiefs in the game.

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
The Flawed Updated AH
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2006, 11:10:53 AM »
ENY sucks bad when you're the one being pwn'd by it. When it's the other country getting pwn'd and having to fly D3A's, it's music to my ears. Batfink is exactly right, this facet of the game was forced on HT. Look at slapshot's siggy, HT himself spells it out....

HiTech : And please do not tell me AH is war, because it is not, it is a War game. And games are ment to be fun and fair. While war is not ment to be either fair or fun.

I complain constantly on 200 in the MW because the rooks always have at least a 2 to 1 numbers advantage. Of course, I can only speak for the times I log on. But consistenly rooks have numbers. When I bring up the fact that some of them could switch to even it out and help to reduce their ENY punnishment, I usually end up getting a good text beating from the "We're the 1337'est country!, We pwn all Bish and nit. We r teh best eva!" crowd. I have been told in the MW, as Bish are down to three fields and are outnumbered 4 to 1, that it's better when the Bish are down. Of course, this is the same tool that will auger as soon as he gets icon on you.

Anyway, my point is that HTC didn't design this game to be war, as so many of the MW rooks have tried to make as an excuse for their milkrunning, non-fighting tactics. They create this wonderful addiction to be somewhat fair and entertaining for everyone. As it has been said by a very wise man, quote:
Originally Posted by Hubsonfire
If people won't play the game without a huge numerical imbalance in their favor, and will instead log off, I say, "good". Better odds for everyone else.

We need ENY more than we ever have. If anything HT needs to drop the Barbie's Horse Adventure limits, and make it punitive.

my $.02
Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin. - Tim Vine.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
The Flawed Updated AH
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2006, 11:17:57 AM »
For all you ENY whiners.

As a "I fly for just one side chess piece loyal dweeb."  let me give ya some advise.

MAN UP AND GROW A PAIR !

I made my choice now I live with it. I don't do it for king ,country, and glory. I do it  because thats what my squad does and I like flying with them. No amount of eny will keep me from flying with my squad and having fun .

If your squad doesn't allow side jumping and you can't have fun with them.
The best solution for you might be bail from the squad.
Either:
 Find one you have more fun flying with regardless of conditions.
OR
 Find one that jumps sides or doesn't care what side you for.
OR
Lone wolf it a bit.

Eny is there for a good reason .
Whatever side of it I happen to be on I'm still glad it's there.

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline acetnt367th

• Copper Member
The Flawed Updated AH
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2006, 11:19:44 AM »
When side ratio gets too one sided, offer a free 262 to people who switch :-)

Offline Wurger

• Copper Member
Re: some good thoughts so far
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2006, 11:22:24 AM »
Originally posted by wrongwayric
Wow, donn't get me started on the country switching!:O  I think that's one of the most aggravating things here! I'm surprised no one has figured out the way to use the numbers against the successful country/field capture leader yet. :) I do know how to use it against them, but unfortunately can never get the amount of people to join me that would screw the leader. Personally i think if you switch countries, your there for 30 days, no exceptions. That would stop a lot of the spies and cv thiefs in the game.

When I was in a squad, I would stay with one country for the sole purpose of flying with squadies.  However, I have never had any loyalty to an assigned chess piece and my only concern is finding a good fight - I could care less about base capture and CV's, etc - but that is just my opinion and of course is my right.  I would wager that many of the people that switch countries often feel the same way.  In fact, I would submit that those that you are complaining about (spies and CV thiefs) are the ones who care the most about their assigned chess piece and do not switch often at all.  So just because someone switches countries to the lower numbered sides does not mean they are evil as you would imply...
Bazi
The Flying Circus

Offline Kuhn

• Silver Member
      • Canvasman
The Flawed Updated AH
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2006, 11:38:31 AM »
Whats so bad about flying an older ride in a hoard anyway. Gotta use team work when ya'all up in a Hurri 1. :D
325th Checkertails

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
playing the game or rolling furball?
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2006, 11:53:48 AM »
Some play the game to fulfill the actual parameters that it was designed for, which is to overcome and conquer bases, and eventually the country, thus winning the war/game.
By jumping sides, and no effort to capture or kill anything in the game, you are the furballer/horde people that are the ones i complain about. You have no serious interest in the overall game play, just want to log kills.
I enjoy seeing my kill's go up and my stats getting better also, but i play to capture and overcome the map, not just to up with no purpose in mind and no end goal other than my stats.
1 dimensional thinking, log kills.
3 dimensional thinking, base capture, win war/game, check stats.
I guess this is a debate that could go on forever, as we both pay to play as we like.  
It's "rock em sock em robots" V.S. "risk"!:lol

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
The Flawed Updated AH
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2006, 12:21:10 PM »
Some play the game to fulfill the actual parameters that it was designed for, which is to overcome and conquer bases, and eventually the country, thus winning the war/game.

This is a false assumption.

The game was designed to have fun at different types of combat. Conquering bases is just a means to promote combat and hence fun. But by no means is it more or less justified than going out and just mixing it up.

HiTech

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: The Flawed Updated AH
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2006, 12:28:24 PM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
With all due respect, carrot doesn't do anything, or there'd be no ENY restriction in the first place.

You are transposing a response to one situation on another.  My point is that you need enough people to make ENY have a point.  With too few in the arena mere queing theory makes it a excercise in frustration.  This is why I'm advocating doing whatever possible to increase the numbers in the EW and MW arenas by not inflicting pain on those few present.  You don't want people just going somewhere else because they are pissed about eny limiter that flips back and forth when a few people come and go every few mins.  You need critical mass to make it viable and the APPLE (Arrogance Produces Profit Losing Enterprise) approach will do little to build that mass.

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
The Flawed Updated AH
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2006, 01:08:11 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
This is a false assumption.

The game was designed to have fun at different types of combat. Conquering bases is just a means to promote combat and hence fun. But by no means is it more or less justified than going out and just mixing it up.

HiTech

Now that's a Sig if I ever saw one!

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
The Flawed Updated AH
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2006, 01:18:42 PM »
Rabbit, if you can find a way to lure people into an arena while retaining 1:3:9 odds with no penalties, restrictions, or balancing mechanisms, you're a pretty smart guy.

Whether it's 1:3:9 or 100:300:900, the low numbered side is getting the shaft. I don't see any benefit in trying to screw them over more, or the high numbers side any less. There is no reason whatsoever to rationalize lopsided country populations, no matter how large or small.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech