Author Topic: Contest! WW2 Christmas story  (Read 194 times)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
Contest! WW2 Christmas story
« on: November 30, 2006, 07:06:20 AM »
Hello all.
With the upcoming Christmas, my brother reminded me that I had promised him a good christmas story (he is the editor of a magazine's christmas edition).
So, my dear forum, I ask for help. I am looking for a WW2 (or WWI for that sake) christmas story.
I have two in my head, and probably on my HD, but can't find them. One is about allied POWs in Austria, who "aquired" a grand piano over Christmas. and the second one is about a German-promoted truce at Christmas in  the trenches of France in WWI.
So, if you either know of these, or have a link to something else, please promote it.
It'll do us all good anyway ;)
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline bsdaddict

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 08:50:56 AM »
the only one that comes to mind is the xmas truce thing.  I thought the movie "A Midnight Clear" was a true account, but it sounds like it actually happened in WW1, not WW2...

http://www.answers.com/topic/christmas-truce

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_truce
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 08:53:02 AM by bsdaddict »

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 09:11:19 AM »

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 09:12:56 AM »
Hey Angus,
Was gonna take my oldest son to Flags of our Fathers on Tuesday...check 4 local multi-plex theaters, not ONE of them was showing it anymore. :(  When is this movie due for DVD release?

Offline Ball

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 01:12:46 PM »
My grandfather claimed to have a FW-200 condor drop gifts over their convoy in the atlantic one christmas, never seen or heard anything to back this up though - may have just been a nice story for his grandchildren :)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 03:30:58 PM »
bsdaddict : Thank you for the input!!!! This is the one I was looking for.
And Straffo, - I'll see that film, so Thanks as well. (Up here we frequently see French films ;))
Furbie, - I'd rather think that yer granddad made this a sweet one for you kids.

And more?
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 03:34:12 PM »
Oh, and Rip, - sad to hear of Flags being buffered out for some silly stuff. Well it's not on in Europe yet, so there is always the posiblility to:
1: Fly there
2: Wait for the DVD
3: Wait for the encore when Flags takes the Oscars ;)

Offline Ball

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 03:36:52 PM »
Originally posted by Angus

3: Wait for the encore when Flags takes the Oscars ;)

i know it will not be winning the "attractive extra's award" :D

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 03:59:04 PM »
Of course. I don't do stuff that give me sore muscles (provided by the USMC) up to my earlobes without an Oscar.
So....an oscar please.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 03:59:05 PM »
Of course. I don't do stuff that give me sore muscles (provided by the USMC) up to my earlobes without an Oscar.
So....an oscar please.