Author Topic: Russian Mp3 Sites?  (Read 520 times)

Offline Choocha

• Copper Member
Russian Mp3 Sites?
« on: December 04, 2006, 06:19:01 PM »
Anybody seen some of these .ru sites selling mp3's?  I mean, like 5 cents per song.

Amazing, if you don't know what I mean I'd rather not provide a link so I don't appear to be promoting them.

Question, if you are in the USA or say in the EU- is it illegal to do business with such sites?

Just a question.

Offline dmf

• Gold Member
Russian Mp3 Sites?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 07:37:32 PM »
Not until Lars complains about it

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
Russian Mp3 Sites?
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 08:14:45 PM »
They have no permission under US copyright law to sell the songs.  Not sure what the legal basis is for downloading from them, and who is legally responsible for "importing" the illegal songs.  But yes, it is illegal.  

Here's a link when I researched it a few years ago.  Not sure what site you're using, but this provides a starting point.  I never downloaded from them once I figured out it was illegal... plus I didn't want to give my credit card #'s to a Russian site that already seems to have little respect for the law.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AllOfMP3.com

Offline dmf

• Gold Member
Russian Mp3 Sites?
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 05:49:42 PM »
Respect for the law or not would you give your credit card # to anybody selling illegal music?

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
Russian Mp3 Sites?
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 06:32:09 PM »
I wouldnt

I just download it
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline FBplmmr

• Silver Member
Russian Mp3 Sites?
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 05:29:44 AM »
if you "borrow" something from the internet, be sure to put it back when you are done.:cool:

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
Russian Mp3 Sites?
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 04:58:15 PM »
Allof MP3 lets you pick what you want it encoded in, what bitrate you want it encoded in and charges by bandwidth used. No DRM to limit how useful a song is.

The RIAA doesn't have control of it yet so they say it's illegal. AllofMP3 says they are legal by Russian law.

Interesting twist now is that the for the Russian Federation to get into the World Trade Organization the U.S. is saying that the MP3 site must be shut down. Must be a lot of RIAA money buying U.S. representatives to have an MP3 site be the most important issue to gain entrance into the WTO.

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Russian Mp3 Sites?
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 05:03:19 PM »
Hoping Boroda might share his opinion on this subject and share his experiences with us on a certain flight sim hosted in Russia a few years back. :)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Russian Mp3 Sites?
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 06:45:42 PM »
Copyright infringement is copyriht infringement regardless of the location it is derived from.  If you want to change the law, then discuss it with your representatives.

To answer the original question; yes, it is illegal.

That said, this thread really has no business on our board.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com