Author Topic: Dealing with a pesty player  (Read 1000 times)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Dealing with a pesty player
« on: December 05, 2006, 09:55:44 AM »
Those of you who practice and train in the TA are well aware that some of our teenagers can be pests at times. Sometimes they break the rules or violate the basic ROE. Other times, one will just do something to be intentionally annoying. There are several ways of dealing with this to encourage better behavior.

In this instance, a young fellow thought it would be funny to give me about a dozen rapid-fire check-6 calls, just to bust horns. I figured the best way to deal with this was not to get annoyed, but to reverse the situation and hand out some light-hearted revenge. The kid was comical, but he also behaved himself for the balance of his stay. Scolding, yelling at, muting or even ejecting a pesty kid is often not the most productive way to respond. Sometimes just a little payback is sufficient to make your point.

This young fellow had me laughing out loud at times. Here's the film.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 10:32:03 AM »
"Im going to shoot you for every time you check6ed me"
"Oh crap!"

:lol
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 10:39:29 AM »
I could could write a whole essay on, "The Psychology of the AH squeaker", but I won't. ;)

Zazen
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline FBplmmr

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 05:30:35 PM »
"how about we just call you "owned" """   lol:rofl

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 05:43:01 PM »
LOL, good one Widewing, you handled that well.  I like his final reply to "I'm going to shoot you for each time you check-6ed me."  :)

Gunner
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 06:48:09 PM »
:) funny.

I guess we should point out that there was a light hearted dialogue going on the whole time.  If one should have a more serious disagreement with another player in the TA, bring it to the attention of a trainer and let them deal with it ;)

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 10:01:44 PM »
Nah, what you do is convince them to land on a hanger and...

film

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 03:59:58 AM »
Originally posted by Murdr
Nah, what you do is convince them to land on a hanger and...

film

:rofl
21 is only half the truth.

Offline jasta11

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 05:17:58 PM »
how about you just ignore the little bugger?

it's how the parents of old raised their kids, and they turned out just fine

-j11

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 06:02:55 PM »
Originally posted by jasta11
how about you just ignore the little bugger?

it's how the parents of old raised their kids, and they turned out just fine

-j11

Sorry, disruptive behavior in the TA is squelched ASAP by the method best suited to the issue. We're not in the child rearing business, we're not in the babysitting business, we're in the training business. We absolutely do not ignore troublesome players. If it's a mild prank, that's fine. No harm done. But if it's habitual behavior, we find something else for them to do with their time until they are ready to follow the posted rules. Players who are there to learn or practice should not be subjected to rude or bad behavior of one or two players.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
      • http://www.71sqn.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 06:50:48 PM »
What I loved most was

"Haha Too good!" (who would say that to a TRAINER!)

Less than two minutes later

"Ahhh STOP PICKING ON ME!"

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Oh and by the way, Im busy choosing which one to go in my Signiture, 'How about we just call you Owned" or "Im going to shoot you for every time you Checked6 me. Oh crap!"

Help me decide!
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 12:00:14 PM »
Very good gentleman.  :D

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2006, 12:26:31 PM »
Widewing...any way of cleaning up the choppy voice chat?

Offline vizwhiz

• Zinc Member
Flea Circus
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2006, 03:03:15 PM »
Widewing,
The other night I joined up with you and asked about a guy in the MA who was warping really bad.  It didn't seem to happen all the time, but only when someone was on top of him, or when he was flying over the field and the ack was up.  He jumped all over, but always in the same area, left, right, up, down.   It wasn't just like he was flying along and disappeared, reappearing a little further down the line (like you would expect).
It appeared to be intentional...jump left, jump right, etc.

You gave me some instructions about talking to him using .200.  Could you please repeat your instructions again?

Also, I guess I could film while flying behind him and could send it to someone for review, correct?

Are there programs out there that does that, or is it something to do with his network connection that he would manipulate?

Thanks.
If I'm a "zinc" member, then I should be called "The GALVANIZER"!

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Re: Flea Circus
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2006, 05:34:21 PM »
Originally posted by vizwhiz
Widewing,
The other night I joined up with you and asked about a guy in the MA who was warping really bad.  It didn't seem to happen all the time, but only when someone was on top of him, or when he was flying over the field and the ack was up.  He jumped all over, but always in the same area, left, right, up, down.   It wasn't just like he was flying along and disappeared, reappearing a little further down the line (like you would expect).
It appeared to be intentional...jump left, jump right, etc.

You gave me some instructions about talking to him using .200.  Could you please repeat your instructions again?

Also, I guess I could film while flying behind him and could send it to someone for review, correct?

You can send private text messages to any player online by simply tuning a radio to their user name.

For example:  .radio 3 vizwhiz    
(don't forget the dot)

This would allow someone to send you private text messages via radio 3.

As to anything felt to be suspicious as you described; film it and e-mail the film to HTC. DO NOT post it or discuss it on the forums.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing