Author Topic: Why is the P-38 so underestamated in Aces High  (Read 6583 times)

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
Why is the P-38 so underestamated in Aces High
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2006, 05:02:51 PM »
Originally posted by Monty405
its the best at looking awesom.

I concur. Wholeheartedly.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline TexInVa

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2006, 05:08:24 PM »
I tangled with a p-38 in my spit9. He did a damn good job of making me work for the kill, and it was the ground that did him in, not (wholly) me. He told me that the secret to turn- fighting in a p-38 was to keep either a quarter or eighth tanks of gas in the wings. I think he said he upped with 75% fuel, then burned each wing off individually to the desired level, then just switched to the main tank and left it there.

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2006, 05:12:04 PM »
Benny, I would say that quite a few of the bad points that you mention in your post about the P-38, are shared by many other planes in this game. For example, a spit is a great turner, and is fast, But it isn't the fastest plane in the game. Nor, is it considered the absolute best turner. But, It has a good mix of those qualities. I believe that is true of the P-38, as well. When you're in the game, you need to talk to somebody who flies the 38 regularly, like Ack-Ack, and watch them.

Besides, in RL, you would'nt hear a complaint from Richard Bong or Thomas McGuire, or Larry "Scrappy" Blumer.

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2006, 05:37:25 PM »
I fear no 38 co alt co E and i don't care how good the pilot is. Its a shame but the 38 is a Flynn target for me. I flew it last week and couldn't get over what a pos it is. If you don't have a advantage in a 38 your dead. Its does hold e well but go below 300 mph its a slug. Basically to be good in a 38 you need alt and more alt. Like ack-ack sorry but its tru, great pilot but to use the 38 you need to be 20k.

Case closed and if anyone would like to prove me wrong i will be on all night for some DA fun.

You pick the ride

ki 84 and 67
all spits including spit 1
nikki
la5 and 7
all f4u's
all 109's
Hurri 1 and 2
i would be ok with the 190a5 but that need some testing
yak for sure

co alt co e 10k i would be willing to do a A20

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2006, 05:59:43 PM »
Originally posted by FX1
I fear no 38 co alt co E and i don't care how good the pilot is. Its a shame but the 38 is a Flynn target for me. I flew it last week and couldn't get over what a pos it is. If you don't have a advantage in a 38 your dead. Its does hold e well but go below 300 mph its a slug. Basically to be good in a 38 you need alt and more alt. Like ack-ack sorry but its tru, great pilot but to use the 38 you need to be 20k.

Case closed and if anyone would like to prove me wrong i will be on all night for some DA fun.

You pick the ride

ki 84 and 67
all spits including spit 1
nikki
la5 and 7
all f4u's
all 109's
Hurri 1 and 2
i would be ok with the 190a5 but that need some testing
yak for sure

co alt co e 10k i would be willing to do a A20

ok

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2006, 06:06:50 PM »
Need a chest thumping emoticon, lolz.

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2006, 06:13:47 PM »
Just got po'ed at the 38 last week. Felt like a newb in it and thought to myself its a shame that the 38 is modelled like it is.

I am not a history aviation guy but the 38 must have had some strong points.

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2006, 06:14:47 PM »
It has many strong points.  It's just not as nimble as the Spixteen, and you'll get killed every time trying to fly it the same way.

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2006, 06:15:58 PM »
Posted by Stang
"Need a chest thumping emoticon, lolz."

I like that one.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline pluck

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2006, 06:16:09 PM »
to think that i've been flying it at 8k and below into hordes with the rest of the 80th.  sheesh, i always wondered what i was doing wrong.
-Vast
NOSEART
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2006, 06:17:41 PM »
Monty405 - "its the best at looking awesom."

I was ok with pretty much everything in this thread until I got to that!  Dang near choked on my grilled cheese sandwich!  Have you not seen the Corsairs?????  How could anything even dare to compare with, let alone exceed a plane like the F4U???

My personal opinion regarding the 38, is that it is blamed for performance issues which are really the fault of the pilot.  Few people in this game actually stick with a plane long enough to learn its strengths and weaknesses, and how to capitolize on the plane the other guy is flying.

I for one thought the F4U really lacked after the first few months I played the game.  I was wrong of course.  I stuck with it because it's always been my favorite, and now I seldom fly anything else.  There are not any planes in the set that give me problems, but rather pilots that give me problems, and it doesn't really seem to matter what plane they fly.

The 38, like the f4U and others, is GOOD at lots of things, even if it isn't the best.  It's not really BAD at much either.  Fly it enough, learn it inside and out, and you will be dangerous in it.

I remember a pilot named "Pellik" that was phenomenal in the 38.  In a good fight, I could last as long as 10-15 seconds against him.  I'm sure he concentrated on the strengths of the 38, and preyed on the weaknesses of his opponents, and didn't spend too much time dwelling on the things the 38 "should have been better at" whether in this game or in RL.  There are others like him in this game, that excel at flying certain planes.

I'm guessing that if you stick with the 38 for 6 months or so, and fly it and little else, and supplement that with some time in the DA with some of the better sticks, you'll start turning heads.  It's a painful start for sure, but it will be worth it if you really like the 38.  Most people in this game don't fly any plane enough to really get more than maybe 50% of its abilities to show.  Especially with the difficult planes, they fly them for a bit and then give up and go back to the easier planes.  The easier planes are flown often enough for folks to get fairly good in them.  This leads to some of the easier planes being labeled as "uber".

One danger not often addressed with learning a plane in detail, and also developing a high level of SA regarding your opponents, is that you will likely be accused of UFO flying, and possibly even cheating.  Then they'll start with the "that plane is so over-modelled " whines.  How could someone fly that plane so well, when they couldn't get it to fly like that???

Bummer eh?

PS.  I for one truly stink in the 38!
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2006, 06:19:52 PM »
Originally posted by Stang
It has many strong points.  It's just not as nimble as the Spixteen, and you'll get killed every time trying to fly it the same way.

Tru its not my ride our style.

Stang your one of the 10 guys flynn in the game at this point do you ever fly a 38?

Offline Dr1337

• Zinc Member
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2006, 06:23:00 PM »
ok I have posted this film before, and for some reason my name was deleated ..i ithink its because when that guy kept making new names and trolling. Anyway, this is me and Creton. I think we can agree Creton is THE BEST K4 pilot in this game and he certainly is Top5 overall as far as all around pilots go. Now I dont remember the particulars of this film but i know its 38 vs 109k4. I would get in more detail but im at work and cant really watch this at the moment.  If i recall we had something like 4 fights and we split them 2 to 2. I dont know if they are all on this film.

FX1 i know youre pretty good but you would prolly conceed that creton is better in a 109. Im just posting this to show you that a well flown 38 can hold its own when flown correctly. Its a HARD plane to fly. Its not a spit...you cant throw it around like one. You need to be smooth and cordinated.
http://members.cox.net/fyreice/creton.ahf

Offline pluck

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2006, 06:38:54 PM »
creton is always a fun guy to fight.  a good point about the 38 is that you need to be clear in your mind about what you are trying to do, then do it without making mistakes.  when flying it to the limit, as with any plane, but even more so at times with the 38, you need to be in complete control.  it does not fly like good turning planes, but can still be affective....but when you screw up that tends to be it.  roll is terrible, climb is very good.  turning is good at mid range speeds.  gentle stall can be an asset, and i always have a blast throwing in around at stall speeds.

on thing i've noticed in fighting creton, is that when i've had shots on him, he works on showing me the slimmest profile possible, even in rolling scissor fights.  it is one thing that i've tried (i repeat tried) to take away from the few fights i've had with him, as it is invaluable skill for the 38.  not always possible, but i am always thinking about what i have exposed.  errr ya.
-Vast
NOSEART
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2006, 07:05:34 PM »
Originally posted by FX1
Tru its not my ride our style.

Stang your one of the 10 guys flynn in the game at this point do you ever fly a 38?

The question you should ask yourself is do you ever fly the P-38?  Sounds like you rarely do but yet comment on it like you're an expert.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song