Author Topic: Resolution vs. Bad Connection  (Read 499 times)

vfGHOSTY

Resolution vs. Bad Connection
« on: February 21, 2001, 07:31:00 PM »
Does Resolution has any effect on connection quality? I dont have very good Internet connection, so may you please sudgest apropriate resolution: like 800x600x16?

Thanks

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2001, 07:03:00 AM »
Normaly there is no link between connect quality and resolution

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2001, 07:17:00 AM »
Ghosty have you tried both routes; Normal Main Arena and Alternative Route (It says its closed but try it anyway).

If you want to "Ping" them the addresses are:
beta.hitechcreations.com 216.91.192.19 and alt.hitechcreations.com 206.149.40.141

[This message has been edited by Staga (edited 02-22-2001).]

vfGHOSTY

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2001, 10:50:00 AM »
Thanx Staga and thank you Straffo. Well the ping is better for main arena (not the alt route). But I think u missed my question. I am not to improve my connection - opposite - not to screw up of what i already have. Let me plz explain:

Like in Fighter Ace - higher resolution means greater detail quality. Its like seeing a dot from 1000 yards or seeing a shape of a plane. From a shape of a plane I am more or less able to tell the angle that nmy is going regarding to me. If i see only a dot then, well... i see only a dot. In case if my resolution set to higher level i am able to see more stuff - which often means i have to receive much more info from a server (etc. craters, smoke, fire, chutes, moving parts of surrounding planes and such). As another example someone dropped gear and i see it from 500 ft - thats a lot of info - so no wonder when a lot of ppl start to warp in a furbal.

To conclude I can say that optimal performance regarding connection for Fighter Ace was at 640X480 - since that hide a lot of cool features but also cut down ammount of info needed to receive.

Thank you again very much for your replyes and any other suggestions u may have for me
:-)

[This message has been edited by vfGHOSTY (edited 02-24-2001).]

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2001, 01:47:00 PM »
Aces High sends the same amount of information, regardless of what resolution you have set on your computer.

However,..your resolution and video card can have an impact on your network connection.  Remeber, you have one CPU (well,..typical systems have 1 CPU), and this one CPU is responsible for a lot of work for an online game/sim such as AH.
If you have a software based modem, your CPU is even further tied up.

If you are running a 3D video card accellerator, the amount of time the CPU spends generating the information needed by the video card is always the same, regardless of the resolution you have your video card set at.
But, if you set the resolution low enough that the video card can complete its frame draws faster than the CPU can get the informtion to it, then the CPU becomes tied up producing the continuous stream of frames needed.
This can cause problems with network connections, particularly with software based modems, as those modems need real time work to be done and cannot wait for the CPU to become free from video chores.

If you have your resolution high enough that the video card cannot generate the frames as fast as the CPU can send them, then the CPU has more time for other things to be done.

The best of all worlds occurs when the video card and the CPU are working seamlessly, that is to say, neither is waiting on the other.  This mode allows the smoothest network game play possible.

This just touches on a few of the many variables that can effect online game play.  I will have a more substantial write-up when my benchmark site is up.

------------------
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
President, AppLink Corp.
http://www.applink.net
skuzzy@applink.net
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline chaunc

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2001, 03:57:00 PM »
I ahve DSL with network card

P-III / 733mhz / 256 megs

ati all in wonder 16 meg video

When i fly off line i can be in 1024/768 no problem.  video is smooth and framerate is fine.

When I am connected I can still get smooth video if I fly AH in offline mode.  But as soon as I go to online mode my video gets chunky, even though my framerate can be in the 40/50's.

I have checked for IRQ problems and drivers // all newest and no conflicts.

This game worked fine with 56k modem in 1024/768 video.  net card is 10/100mb base t

any help would be appreciated...btw how do i get rid of those annoying green flashing lights in bottom right corner of screen when im connected.

Thanks ..chaunc