Author Topic: Sears Wishbook  (Read 754 times)

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Sears Wishbook
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2006, 09:40:06 AM »
Originally posted by Rolex
I averted my eyes at the womens' underwear section.

Me too... over and over again.

Offline ChickenHawk

• Silver Member
Re: Sears Wishbook
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2006, 11:16:07 AM »
Originally posted by FiLtH

Verti-Bird

My absolute favorite toy when I was a kid.  I have a new one I found in KB-Toys a few years ago, though it's not called a Verti-Bird anymore.  It's great watching my kids have as much fun with it as I did.

Keep your eyes peeled, you can still find them from time to time.
Do not attribute to malice what can be easily explained by incompetence, fear, ignorance or stupidity, because there are millions more garden variety idiots walking around in the world than there are blackhearted Machiavellis.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
Sears Wishbook
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2006, 11:57:29 AM »
I remember one GI JOE figure I think it was called Mike Powers. He was GI JOE's answer to the bionic man. Except he had one bionic leg and one regular leg. I always pictured him hopping at top speed while his normal leg dragged behind him.

Ahh yes..the ladies section. I knew once I lost interest in the back of the book, and found the front more interesting, my life was changing.

Rip..I remember that story. :)

~AoM~

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Sears Wishbook
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2006, 12:16:58 PM »
One of my earliest child hood memories about Christmas inviolved Sears.

They were a downtown store, before strip malls were invented, and like the rest of downtown decorated to the max. The streets had all kinds of decorations, trees and garlands all over the place. Sears moved their regular display at the front window and put in a Christmas one. It had all kinds of moving figures and at least 2 electric trains going all the time. They ahd BB guns and bicycles prominently displayed either in the center or to one side while the girls toys were to the other side. Inside the store, they had a small wing that was deicated to nothing but toys. There was a huge 6 to 8 track train set that they put up every year and I spent hours watching them go by wishing I could play with them.

Sigh, Christmas no longer has that fresh excitement for me any more but watching the Grandkids that morning is priceless.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
Sears Wishbook
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2006, 07:23:03 PM »
Toys 'R' Us sends out the holiday catalog around the last week of October I believe is when he got it.  When I was a kid we had to circle the whooole friggin picture for our parents, now these kids have little boxes they can just check:mad:
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Sears Wishbook
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2006, 07:34:26 PM »
Originally posted by john9001
sears was bought by kmart.

Yea I know. Stopped in Kmark to pick up a couple pair of pants for work and noticed they now sell Craftsman tools now too.

But their demise started years and years ago.
Its been at least 25 years since sears was any good and its only gottn worse since
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Sears Wishbook
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2006, 07:38:55 PM »
Here ya go

1979 Sears Wishbook

And on EBay now for  $24 you can own  the

1972 Sears Christmas Wishbook

Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
Sears Wishbook
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2006, 08:29:16 PM »
1963 was a bad year. We were dirt poor. Went to bed hungry many nights... School provided milk and cookies, sometimes.  At home if you had a Peanut Butter and Jelly Sammich you ate half and hid the rest under yer pillow...later at night I'd split the sammich into thirds between my Sister and Lil Brother... they ate their whole sammich earlier.  I was the older Brother..Had to take care of them.

So poor I had to jump neighbors fences and snatch empty pop bottles 5am dam near every morning to gather enough money to help keep the electricity on.  Learned to out run dogs then. 5 cents a big bottle, a penny for a small bottle.

That Year I had my wagon repainted, for Christmas, my lil Brother was still young so we went to the Fire Deptment to beg for milk for him. They gave milk and at that time I always wanted to be a Fireman...Heros.  My Sister just had tubes put in her ears then.. She could finally hear again.

Dad was laid off from Libby Glass and we suffered.  Christmas Dinner was Corned Beef and Hash, diced canned peaches and we had candles lit to save electricity. It was very cold.

It wasn't my Dads fault nor my Moms. It was the economy, Prez Kennedy dead, Cold War fears...

I swore when I was young if I ever became a Father and had a Family I would do everything to give them a better life than what I had endured.

Now that I am a Father I push education hard... My children don't always understand YET...except for the oldest now... She had a Presidential and Congressional appointment to USMA (West Point) turned it down at the last minute to attend OU now she's at Baylor Medical in Houston.  My youngest Daughter is into Journalism and at 18 has her first News article posted in the Tulsa World newspaper.  My Son wants to attend the USAF Academy...he's still 8 Years old...subject to change when lil girls become interesting..LOL.

I'm just a Proud Father.  I just buried my Father at Arlington Natl Cem in October..this is the 1st Christmas without him...now I'm rambling on..

I just want to say to all..take time to love all of those around you that care and make a difference in your life, and those that you have made a difference in their lives. AOL Keyword: LOVE   LOL

Merry Christmas to All,

Mac & Family

Yes Virginia...

I shot down Shane in a Yak.

:D
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 08:34:51 PM by AWMac »

Offline FBBone

• Nickel Member
Re: Sears Wishbook
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2006, 10:45:02 PM »
Originally posted by FiLtH

Verti-Bird

Man, now I know you're old!!!!  That was my all time favorite toy as a kid!

Originally posted by ChickenHawk

Keep your eyes peeled, you can still find them from time to time.

Tower Hobbies generally has a reasonable facsimile of 'em around this time of year.

P.S.  Sears still has a wishbook, my three kids had hours of fun marking one up this year, good times :)

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
Sears Wishbook
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2006, 12:47:06 AM »
wishbook was ok ... but we drooled over the spring edition w/ swimsuits

you know the yellow pages double for TP when needed while walking 5 miles in sub zero temps in bare feet home from school.
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
Sears Wishbook
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2006, 10:21:31 PM »
I wanted to check in because my dad reminded me about the verti bird while we were perusing the Discovery Store at the airport.  

The first one is here

The second is here

AJust in case you guys want to re live your childhood or if you want to see your kids get as excited as you were.

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
Sears Wishbook
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2007, 03:32:17 AM »
Vertibird simulator for Windows

So it's a flightsim of a...flightsim.

Cool!!!!!
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline stantond

• Nickel Member
Sears Wishbook
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2007, 08:22:27 AM »
I remember the vertibird.  Mine lasted about two days before the rotating cable seized.  Was fun while it lasted.  While the vertibird simulator looks cool, it is nothing compared to http://www.realflight.com/.  The helicopters there are a hoot (no guns tho).

Put me down as one more with a fascination for the Sears Catalog ladies underwear section.

Regards,

Malta

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
Sears Wishbook
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2007, 08:13:57 PM »
That game is too hard, were they really that damn fast?

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
Sears Wishbook
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2007, 09:48:34 PM »
Originally posted by stantond

Sears Catalog ladies underwear section.

ahh, the memories. :D