Author Topic: Re Landing again  (Read 400 times)

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Re Landing again
« on: December 14, 2006, 04:55:53 AM »
And

If you crash land on the base but are still alive in the plane do you still get your points? if your shot someone down and if not how do you get your points?

Thoses ariels on the base are they the Radar? can they be destroyed by Bombs or Rockets? and how long will they stay dpown for?  

And? And? And? etc
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline Kya

• Zinc Member
Re: Re Landing again
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 05:21:21 AM »
Originally posted by Yarbles
And

If you crash land on the base but are still alive in the plane do you still get your points? if your shot someone down and if not how do you get your points?

Thoses ariels on the base are they the Radar? can they be destroyed by Bombs or Rockets? and how long will they stay dpown for?  

And? And? And? etc

If you land on the runway (wheels or not) you'll get full credit. If you're off the runway, even if only by 1 foot (lame imo) you'll receive a ditch and get partial credit.

The radio tower on the field is the radar. It can be destroyed with guns, bombs, rockets. The length of time depends on how intact the radar strat is.

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Re Landing again
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 05:24:14 AM »
Thanks Kya could you give me a few tips on how best to land.

Problems I have are how to lose speed and how to keep the nose up just as the wheels touch down.
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"

Offline Kya

• Zinc Member
Re Landing again
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 05:29:49 AM »
Sure,

I often come in pretty hot. Quickest way for me to slow down enough to drop flaps and gear, (provided you still have the parts!) is to input some "cross-control". Basically kick rudder in one direction and put your nose down in the other. This will cause you to slide in the air and lose enough speed to drop flaps and then gear. Which is when you'll really start slowing down. Flaps will also keep your nose up.

Of course, it's often quicker to belly land. Just make sure you're under 200mph when you touch down.

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Re Landing again
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 05:43:22 AM »
Thanks,

So I guess there is no real disadvantage to Belly landing?
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline Kya

• Zinc Member
Re Landing again
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 05:59:33 AM »
Unless you're using the re-arm pad, no.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Re Landing again
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 06:07:16 AM »
Yes and no Yarbles. Belly landing is not a problem in itself, but it can have some disadvantage... if you dont make it on the runway for any reason, you have no way of correcting it. Also, most special events are 1 live and require you to land and rearm instead of landing and getting a new plane. Also, if you are a little too fast, a belly landing has higher risk of blowing you up.

As for Landing: Anywhere you get a "landed sucessfully" message, you get full points for the sortie. When youre in a plane and on an airfield, you can land successfully anywhere on concrete... damage is not taken into account. You can always test where you get what OFFLINE.

For Vehicle bases and Vehicle landing, things are a little more complicated. Safest spot to get a landed successfully on is between the hangars on VBase. If you are damaged and there are enemy vehicles close, you do not get a landed succesfully. Also, you can land vehicles at the spawn points (yellow arrows on map), again provided you have no damage and there are no enemy vehicles around.

Points: You always get points, no matter the outcome of your sortie. But if you do not land successfully, you only get fractions of the points... check the help page on Scoring and Perk points for the listed multipliers.

The radar tower needs 250 pounds to destroy (strafing with cannon, rockets or bombs) and has a default down time of 2 hours. How long it actually stays down depends on the state of the radar factory and player supplies. Check the help file on Strategic targets for more detail info.

Landing: Practice in planes that are easy to land first. Hurri Mk2, FM2 and P38 are my usual recommendations. Make sure you know where the speed indicator and climb rate indicator in those planes are, as you need them to monitor your approach.

Drop down to about 1000 feet above ground, line up on the runway from far out. (Icon range is a good starting point, it gives you enough time for adjustments and corrections).
Reduce your throttle to slow down (throttle idle at first!), as soon as you are able to, lower gear and full flaps.
If you notice that you are way too fast (over 200), you can sideslip as mentioned above (use full rudder to one side and keep the plane level with aileron input) or make a series of highG hard turns.
You want your speed to be about 120-150 mph approaching the runway. Do not point your nose down at the runway... if you aim for it, youll hit it - usually pretty hard :). Aim for the far end of the runway instead.
On finals, youll need to use your throttle to control descent rate and your Elevators to control speed. That means: If you put your nose down, you will increase speed. Keep the nose high (flaps help you with that) and adjust your throttle to control sink rate - that takes a little practice, but it sounds a lot more complicated then it really is. Usually it is enough to hold the nose high and be throttle 0.
Your sink rate at touchdown should be no more then 1000 feet per min. On the gauge that means the needle needs to be between 0 and -1. Touchdown speed at 90-100 mph.
Right before the wheels hit the ground, throttle up a little bit (=flare).
Let the plane roll for a while, slowly pull back to 1/2 on your stick to lock the tailwheel (like on takeoff), then apply wheelbrakes.

Do not worry if you miss the runway on the first landings. Thats not a problem, as you can always taxi back on concrete when youre down. The most important thing is to get the plane down without prop or gear damage.

If you catch me online, holler my way, i can show you a landing or two and help you with yours.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re Landing again
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 09:10:47 AM »
Originally posted by Schatzi
For Vehicle bases and Vehicle landing, things are a little more complicated. Safest spot to get a landed successfully on is between the hangars on VBase. If you are damaged and there are enemy vehicles close, you do not get a landed succesfully.

Actually you always get a land successfully as long as you're on concrete at a VB or Port, regardless of damage or enemy proximity.  At ports you don't actually even have to be on concrete to get a land sucessfully but you do at VB's.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
Re Landing again
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2006, 12:26:58 PM »
Yarbles

Schatzi has the best advice posted here so follow it!
Until you learn how to land straight, forget about side slips and other fancy ways of losing height/speed

Personally All my landing approachs start with getting the speed down to 150 then keeping it in the 120 -150 range (Yeah I'm a Spit dweeb!). As soon as I get the speed below 150 I drop in all the flap and gear down.
Your engine should be on idle with normal rev settings. i.e. simply throttled all the way back.

If you think you are going to be short simply add some power and raise  nose to keep the speed the same. Get rid of the power when you can.

If you think you are too high, two ways to deal with it.
One if you are far enough out, do some nose low S turns with the engine still on idle. i.e. weave a path forward instead of flying straight.
Two if you are too high and not out far enough. Abort the apporach, open the throttle to a medium setting lift flaps and gear and fly around to start a new approach lower.

Speed if very important to watch. If you can maintain lets say 120 knots in a Spit you will be well on your way to smooth landings.

The last bit flaring out is the finsh. I try to fly as near the runway, without
actually touching it, as I can. Use the corners of the view to help feel if you are sinking or climbing as you will not (in a Spit) be able to see ahead!

Eventually the stall horn will start to sound and the aircraft will not stay in the air much more and you will have landed!

A way to see how to control rate of descent is to type in the command .speed 120 (This sets the trim speed in autoclimb) throttle back apply the autoclimb trim and watch the aircraft settle into a beautifull 120 knot descent. Leave the stick alone now as you Drop gear and flap and watch how the trim compensates by dropping the nose even lower. Now the fun starts. If you open the throttle a bit you will see your glide angle get flatter to maintain 120, now close the throttle again and the glide steepens. This is what you are going to learn to do manually when making a landing approach! Best approach speed varies from plane to plane. But I think speed is the key, keep it steady until you have to flare when you can forget about speed as you no longer want it!

On aircraft with mutiple flap settings you can also adjust rate of descent with flaps, but I would not worry about this until you master it in one setting like full down

Regards
Blagard
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 12:36:01 PM by Blagard »