Author Topic: Kill or assist?  (Read 488 times)

Offline Black Jack

• Copper Member
Kill or assist?
« on: December 15, 2006, 12:26:33 PM »
How does it work to get an assist or to get the kill when you shoot down somebody. Sometimes it happened that i damage a con to the point it's smoking black and white. So gaz and oil, but then somebody comes along and shoots a few bullets and the kill goes to him and i got an assist. Another time i was close to this con and shot a few burst but don't think i hit him at all. The guy had to ditch and i got a kill. I did not even see any sparks on his plane when i shot. I'm confused, is there some kind of "bubble" around a plane and that is how it's decided. What about the size of caliber that you shoot with? Thanks

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Kill or assist?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 12:54:02 PM »
Its based on who does the most actual damage. Also you have to remember someone else may have pinged that bogey considerably before you ever saw him.

While once and a while the damage system may seem unfair, most of the time its pretty good.

Offline porkfrog

• Nickel Member
Kill or assist?
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 01:55:49 PM »
There is no "bubble" so to speak. I believe back in the Air Warrior days it was a "bubble", but now it's modeled for actual skin of the aircraft.

<>
-JoLLY
Pigs On The Wing

Offline MotorOil1

• Copper Member
Kill or assist?
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 03:56:17 PM »
If you bounce a couple rounds off a guy, no one else touches him and ten minutes later the guy runs out of fuel and ends up ditching - you get the kill provided you're still on the same sotrie.
MoterOil
-=Most Wanted=-
"These are detestable murderers and scumbags. They detest our freedoms, they detest our society, they detest our liberties." - General Hillier July 14, 2005, on Osama bin Laden and his ilk

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Kill or assist?
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 07:45:02 PM »
Yesterday I peppered a Focke-Wulf with my machine guns for about a minute, resulting in no visible damage.  But then another P-38 zoomed down and hit the FW-190 with cannon, turning the Kraut into a wingless ball of fire.  It gave me the kill.  I was suprised; although I felt I deserved the kill, as I had initially outmaneuvered the foe and had gotten a lot more hits than the other 38, he was the one who actually made the airplane go down.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Re: Kill or assist?
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 11:04:47 PM »
Originally posted by Black Jack
What about the size of caliber that you shoot with? Thanks
Yes, different ammo types have a different potential for doing damage, but velocity of impact also effects how much damage a round does.  

As noted already, the player who does the most amount of damage gets awarded the kill.  There is also a proximity kill or "proxy" that is awarded to the closest enemy within 1800 yards of someone who crashes, bails, disconnects, or is captured if no one alive had damaged them.

Offline Black Jack

• Copper Member
Kill or assist?
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 11:10:07 PM »
Thanks Murdr, that explains the "impossible" kills sometimes. It happened that i saw a con take off, went after it, did not shoot anything and he augered. I got a kill for just being there. Now with the amount of times that i die in engagement, i would need a dozen of those "proxy" kills per night. :lol :aok

Black70

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Kill or assist?
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 03:11:16 AM »
Where our current system really fails is crediting the kill of GVs. Countless times  I have strafed enemy GV´s with no apparent effect, they were still moving & shooting. Yet when a friendly tank finally killed this GV, I got the kill. It seems that the pure amount of lead put on a target is all what counts when determining who gets the kill.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline DustyR

• Copper Member
Kill or assist?
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 06:02:49 AM »
I experienced the same thing, where I strafed a GV and he got a couple of rounds up at me as I pulled up.  A short time later bingo feul and into the ground I went.  He got credit for the kill.  Gotta love it.:noid
Coal Country WV -- Home of the free ** because of the brave.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Kill or assist?
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2006, 06:16:03 AM »
Originally posted by DustyR
I experienced the same thing, where I strafed a GV and he got a couple of rounds up at me as I pulled up.  A short time later bingo feul and into the ground I went.  He got credit for the kill.  Gotta love it.:noid

He was the only one to hit you. You died. He got the kill. I see no problem with that.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Kill or assist?
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2006, 11:06:20 AM »
Two nights ago I along with 2 or 3 others were chasing some bombers.  I never got closer than 2K and never fired a shot but somehow got credited for an assist.

Sometimes there's just no explanation but for the most part the current system works.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.