Author Topic: Im looking for a trainer  (Read 1072 times)

Offline Major Biggles

• Gold Member
      • 71 Squadron Website
Im looking for a trainer
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2006, 10:35:58 PM »
Originally posted by Nomak
So you really have no need for a trainer then.  

What exactly are you looking for?  Not trying to be rude.  I am just trying to understand whats going on here.

Dave

i don't need a trainer, more someone like yourself who can really help me fine tune my skills and teach me advanced ACM. i have pretty much everything down, but i still can't beat vent, although i'd like to think i'm getting a bit closer :), and i heard you were one of the best, so i thought it would be a great opportunity to spend an hour with you getting a few tips here and there, as well as any help and training you could give me :)

71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Member DFC

Offline Wadke

• Nickel Member
Im looking for a trainer
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2006, 11:12:13 PM »
F6Fs :noid

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Im looking for a trainer
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2006, 01:11:54 AM »
2. learn advanced ACM

I dont really know that there is such a thing as "advanced" ACM. If you look at all the clips available i'd guess less then 1% have anything really unique. Mostly its fairly easily repeatable stuff....its timing, execution and view of the con that make the biggest difference.

3. teach me to think ahead instead of reacting to what the other guy does

All the really good sticks are reactive pilots. They kill the guys who are thinking "ahead". The ability to adjust on the fly to subtle changes in position is what seperates the really good sticks from the rest of us.

4. how to force over shoots

Overshoots are a combination of "proper" ACM and reactive flying. Techncially its not possible to "force" an overshoot. You actually invite an overshoot and the attacking player either accepts or rejects it. The better your oponent the harder it is to create. In the end any guns solution pressed to it maximum generates a strong possibility of an overshoot (not 100%)...if the attack is successful the player flies thru the wreckage...if not then an overshoot occurs. The higher the differential E state the greater potential for an overshoot. In a perfect endgame the attacker has worn the bogie down to the point he cant manuever enough to avoid a tracking shot but the attacker is slow enough to comfortable maintain proper positioning behind the target.

5. judging opponents E status

Never a sure thing but you can get pretty good....1st key is knowing your E state....then watching the con thru the merge. The harder he pulls the more E he burns. I think more in terms of being positive or negative E then trying to guess bogies E state. Its pretty easy to tell if he has more E then you or not...

6. gauging when opponent has a firing angle and when he doesnt

If you see holes in your plane he has a firing angle. I'm probably one of the hardest guys to hit and damage. If you look at any of my clips you'll often see/hear rounds land with little or no damage. This comes from flying alot of 'target drone" as a trainer. The key is actually seeing the guy shooting...you'll get a feel for the angles that work. This is really the interaction of 2, 3 & 5 to "create" #4.

If you position yourself correctly (in a negative E situation) and then react correctly to his moves and judge his E state and firing position correctly you create a situation where he cant convert his setup to a successful shot and his "miss" creates your overshoot.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Im looking for a trainer
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2006, 03:54:50 AM »
I am literally without a monitor right now bro.

You do not need a monitor.
Ill call you on the phone and let you know when you need to turn ;).

meddog, you can just come by the training arena and check if a Trainer is online and available. If you prefer to schedule a fixed date, its best to use our online form on the trainer homepage: http://www.netaces.org/trainers/requestform/requestform.html
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
Im looking for a trainer
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2006, 05:29:26 PM »
Originally posted by Schatzi
You do not need a monitor.
Ill call you on the phone and let you know when you need to turn ;).

I don't care who you are Thats funny right thar!  :rofl :rofl

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline CHECKERS

• Silver Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/1502/index.html
Im looking for a trainer
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2006, 08:02:30 AM »
P51 D :cool:
Originally posted by Panman
God the BK's are some some ugly mo-fo's. Please no more pictures, I'm going blind Bet your mothers don't even love ya cause u'all sooooooooo F******* ulgy.

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Im looking for a trainer
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2006, 08:13:59 AM »
If you "React" correctly there is no need to think ahead.  The guns soulition will come all by itself.

Then again.... What do I know :(

Dave ;)

This is a really interesting discussion point...and I think the answer depends partly on "learning style" and partly on skill level.

Recently read a fascinating article about the neurologic basis of "grand master" level experts. For the true expert (like you, Nomak) past experience and learning get bundled into larger chunks of information...so it seems very instinctual. For less experienced folks, each individual step has to be processed.

For example, think about the high yoyo. For a true novice, each stick movement needs to be processed..."roll slightly, pull back, reach peak, roll, nose down". With time, those steps get combined into a single chunk of data...the "yoyo maneuver." At this intermediate stage, the pilot sees the sitaution develop, and more or less says "time for a yoyo." Its one piece of information, a single maneuver instead of steps. That makes it much faster to run, and more effective.

The expert just knows what to do. There isnt even a single thought...except maybe "Oh, no you dont" or [cue Vader} "I have you now..."

I've been intrigued with how learning theory applies to ah...will probably put together a post this week.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Nomak

• Silver Member
Im looking for a trainer
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2006, 06:31:54 PM »
Originally posted by Major Biggles
i don't need a trainer, more someone like yourself who can really help me fine tune my skills and teach me advanced ACM. i have pretty much everything down, but i still can't beat vent, although i'd like to think i'm getting a bit closer :), and i heard you were one of the best, so i thought it would be a great opportunity to spend an hour with you getting a few tips here and there, as well as any help and training you could give me :)

I appoligize.  I had a couple to many Jack n'cokes the other night and was a bit arguementative.  

I wont lie..... the better a player is the harder it is to help them improve.  All I can say is I will do my best to help you.

My new Samsung has arrived ;-)

I probably wont be up and around till after Christmas.  I will shoot you a PM and we can get together.

Dave
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 06:48:16 PM by Nomak »

Offline MAVRK327

• Zinc Member
      • http://327th.com
Re: Im looking for a trainer
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2006, 02:05:17 PM »
Originally posted by meddog
Im looking for a trainer to help teach me the following:
1. fly the P51 and F6F
2. learn advanced ACM
reply to #6.
If you hear pings somethings wrong!!!:rofl :lol :O

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Re: Im looking for a trainer
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2006, 02:52:31 PM »
Originally posted by meddog
Im looking for a trainer to help teach me the following:
1. fly the P51 and F6F
2. learn advanced ACM

Just throwing in a differing opinion here.  I disagree somewhat on the reacting point.  I had a guy come in the TA months ago with a very solid grasp of ACM, and dueled around with him for quite awhile.  I kept getting his 6 after several merges.  When he asked I explained why.  What it came down to was that at some point I *knew* exactly where his position would be 1/2 to a full turn ahead of time, and guided my plane to create a position to exploit what I *knew* was comming.  That is planning ahead, and creating a position rather than following your opponent around.

To be able to make the most of that, you need to be able to know various methods of forcing an overshoot.  If you are practiced at that, then you *know* what the positioning of an overshoot looks like from start to finish.

If you *know* what the positioning looks like throughout an overshooting attempt (say a standard evasive reversal), then you can use that knowlege on the fly.  When you do that you're getting into what I define as advanced ACM.  

So it works like this.  You know what the angles and positioning look like during an overshoot.  At some point in a fight you realise that "hey! if I guide my plane over here, that would be pretty close to the same position as in the middle of that overshoot maneuver I know".  So instead of trying to "out turn" or get a "nose on" angle, you maneuver to "create" a position that you know from experience will lead to your advantage.

So in my mind 2,3, & 4 are prerequisite to each other.

Just so you know, we've stopped taking scheduled training sessions until after the new year, due to the busy holiday schedule.  But if you catch one of us in the TA before hand, just get our attention, we may be able to fit in a pick-up session if we are not busy helping others at the time.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Im looking for a trainer
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2006, 02:57:14 PM »
Originally posted by Simaril
The expert just knows what to do. There isnt even a single thought...except maybe "Oh, no you dont" or [cue Vader} "I have you now..."

I've been intrigued with how learning theory applies to ah...will probably put together a post this week.

Very true.  In fact until I started as a trainer in AW, I never gave a thought to what I was doing...I just *knew* where I need to guide my plane to next for a given scenerio.

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Im looking for a trainer
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2006, 04:27:43 AM »
Not to be argumentative but does anyone actually think that all the Military Air Forces of the World DONT teach their pilots Basic Flight Skills and Advanced Comabt Maneuvers? Hasn't anyone ever heard of Red Flag or Top Gun? Does anyone who flies here and have any interest in dogfighting not know the reason why those schools were started.

If you're not sure why it's because the dogfighting skills our American Pilots went down the tubes about the same time some rocket scientist decided Air to Air Missles were it and guns in jets wouldn't be needed anymore.

Do you honestly think it was because they were taught to react to a situation iso set up the situation to their advantage? I hate to say it but you really believe that then you are only playing checkers in a chess game and plan on taking off more than the guy playing chess.

Hope this helps.

Offline Ball

• Silver Member
Re: Re: Im looking for a trainer
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2006, 11:23:07 AM »
Originally posted by Murdr
I *knew* exactly where his position would be 1/2 to a full turn ahead of time, and guided my plane to create a position to exploit what I *knew* was comming.  That is planning ahead, and creating a position rather than following your opponent around.

I agree with you 110% in that post, people underestimate the importance of anticipation in this game.

The guy could do the most unbelieveable bit of flying in order to try and lose you, but if you anticipate it - it won't matter because you are still going to kill him.

Works the same on the defensive, if you know where your opponents are and what they are going to do, then you can start to react to their attacks before they commence them.

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Im looking for a trainer
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2006, 12:26:04 PM »
Originally posted by DamnedRen
Not to be argumentative but does anyone actually think that all the Military Air Forces of the World DONT teach their pilots Basic Flight Skills and Advanced Comabt Maneuvers? Hasn't anyone ever heard of Red Flag or Top Gun? Does anyone who flies here and have any interest in dogfighting not know the reason why those schools were started.

Ren,

I think you misunderstood the entire point of the post. Re-read it....

Expert knowledge DOES come through intensive learning and training. For most of the history of air combat, though, the traiining available was rudimentary. Pilots like Gabreski and Rickenbacker and Bong took the rudiments they WERE taught, added their own skills (like race car driving or hunting) -- and learned veeerrry well from their experiences.

After all, the odds of survival were WORST for pilots who only had the training to fall back on.

All this shows that guys like Murdr can very possibly learn their way instinctually.

For the majority, for guys like me, training is indispensable.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline T99LMG

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Training
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2006, 02:53:31 PM »
I could help you with training with the ponie, and I could teach you ACM. I know I am a jounier member, but i caught on quick. PM me whenever you want. If you want to train, PM me before you go and meet me in a H2H arena.

:aok