Author Topic: Im looking for a trainer  (Read 1073 times)

Offline meddog

• Copper Member
Im looking for a trainer
« on: December 19, 2006, 05:48:23 PM »
Im looking for a trainer to help teach me the following:
1. fly the P51 and F6F
2. learn advanced ACM
3. teach me to think ahead instead of reacting to what the other guy does
4. how to force over shoots
5. judging opponents E status
6. gauging when opponent has a firing angle and when he doesnt
Yes I know I suck, other wise youuuuu would be dead so stop bragging.

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
Im looking for a trainer
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 05:51:36 PM »
Hi Medd,

<--not a triainer obviously , but I would spend some time with you i the DA or TA flying the ponies and F6F's. I sukk in em but maybe we can work on em at the same time a lil bit.
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Re: Im looking for a trainer
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 06:54:58 PM »
Originally posted by meddog
Im looking for a trainer to help teach me the following:
1. fly the P51 and F6F
2. learn advanced ACM
3. teach me to think ahead instead of reacting to what the other guy does
4. how to force over shoots
5. judging opponents E status
6. gauging when opponent has a firing angle and when he doesnt

Points three, five, and six cannot be taught.  They come only with time and experience.  I've been flying aerial combat simulators for about seven years in all, and I still am often unable to accurately judge the energy state of an opponent.  Unfortunately, I am exceptionally good at gauging exactly when the opponent has a firing solution.

Offline Nomak

• Silver Member
Im looking for a trainer
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 07:00:04 PM »
Yes ......they can be taught.  That, however does not mean that the student will "Learn" the lesson.

Just FWIW..... point 3 is exactly what you  should be doing.  maybe you are just apporaching it the wrong way.  I am and always have been a reactive pilot.

Dave

Offline Major Biggles

• Gold Member
      • 71 Squadron Website
Re: Re: Im looking for a trainer
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 07:02:16 PM »
Originally posted by Benny Moore
Points three, five, and six cannot be taught.  They come only with time and experience.  I've been flying aerial combat simulators for about seven years in all, and I still am often unable to accurately judge the energy state of an opponent.  Unfortunately, I am exceptionally good at gauging exactly when the opponent has a firing solution.

wrong again benny...

they come with experience to a degree, yes, but that doesn't mean that that experience can't be gained faster with the right tips and teaching.

meddog, i would be very happy to help you train, although unfortunately i leave for the holidays tomorrow and am not back until after new years. when are you available? i might be able to find time for a session before the 21st :)

if not i'll catch you in 2007 some time :)

71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Member DFC

Offline Major Biggles

• Gold Member
      • 71 Squadron Website
Im looking for a trainer
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 07:03:47 PM »
Originally posted by Nomak
Yes ......they can be taught.  That, however does not mean that the student will "Learn" the lesson.

Just FWIW..... point 3 is exactly what you  should be doing.  maybe you are just apporaching it the wrong way.  I am and always have been a reactive pilot.

Dave

yes, but you should be thinking ahead of yourself in order to react to him and gain a gun solution more easily ;)

71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Member DFC

Offline Nomak

• Silver Member
Im looking for a trainer
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 07:06:42 PM »
If you "React" correctly there is no need to think ahead.  The guns soulition will come all by itself.

Then again.... What do I know :(

Dave ;)

Offline Major Biggles

• Gold Member
      • 71 Squadron Website
Im looking for a trainer
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 07:12:30 PM »
If you "React" correctly there is no need to think ahead.  The guns soulition will come all by itself.

Dave ;)

:D :p ya big dweeb :lol

i'd call what you're talking about thinking ahead, but i guess you're right, it's reacting to his energy state and plane of motion and maneuvering for a shot...

71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Member DFC

Offline shooter1cac

• Zinc Member
      • http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/3707/sapplf6.jpg
Im looking for a trainer
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 07:13:15 PM »
"teach me to think ahead instead of reacting to what the other guy does"

That's easy.
Think aggressive. Always be looking to get on his 6 or get your own gun solution. After you get into this mentality the "being 2 steps ahead" mentality comes naturally.
Will you always win?
Of course not...but being in the fighter pilot state of mind is the first step. Even your DEFENSIVE moves should be to gain you the advantage and get the firing solution you so desire...be it forcing the over shoot or giving him/her a bad angle so that you can get the reverse and get the shot off.
A lot of my kills come from getting a reverse on the bad guy and getting a quick shot.
Also look for the tell-tale telegraph signals...if he's extending a little bit did he drop a wing ever so slightly? Or if you have the bounce did he wobble in a certain direction? These can help you get that split second advantage of already moving in the direction that he's going to be heading when he makes his move. Your vets in here aint gonna give you those...but some folks do..so keep a sharp eye out.

Offline Major Biggles

• Gold Member
      • 71 Squadron Website
Im looking for a trainer
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 07:14:59 PM »
btw, is there any time tomorrow that you might be able to join me in the TA for 30 mins or so for a rumble? airvent has been doing a lot of training with me, and i jump at the chance to go a few rounds with any uber ace i can find :)

any chance you could be online around 7pm est? i can push a bit later if you can't make 7, but t starts getting quite late :)

thanks mak

71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Member DFC

Offline Nomak

• Silver Member
Im looking for a trainer
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 07:32:11 PM »
Originally posted by Major Biggles
btw, is there any time tomorrow that you might be able to join me in the TA for 30 mins or so for a rumble? airvent has been doing a lot of training with me, and i jump at the chance to go a few rounds with any uber ace i can find :)

any chance you could be online around 7pm est? i can push a bit later if you can't make 7, but t starts getting quite late :)

thanks mak

I am literally without a monitor right now bro.  On my wifes machine right now.  I orderd a 19" widescreen Samsung from Newegg about 3 days ago.  I posted about it in Hardware and Software actually.  Hopefully it will be here tomorrow, although I am not going to hold my breath.  I got the cheap shipping.

You are working with Airvent (who will always be Bovidae to me) who is to be totally honest on about the same skill platform that I am.  When Bovi and myself duel we almost always go 50/50.  I doubt I will offer anything new or exciting over what he does.  Just FWIW.

I will be happy to DA with you...... I need my new monitor first though.  I will look you up for sure after the first of the year.

Dave

Offline TW9

• Silver Member
      • http://www.tedwilliams.com
Im looking for a trainer
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 07:41:35 PM »

Dave ;)

Im with Nomak on this.. Ive always been taught that being reactionary rather than guessing or thinking ahead was better.. ive actually have film of me and batfink discussing this on film.. he was wondering why i kept beating him on the merge.. and thought i was guessing right.. i told him no i was reacting to what he was doing and taking action.. if u guess or think ahead of what u think the opponent is doing its kind of like 50/50.. what if u guess wrong? So i never try to think what the other player is doing and just worry about what im doing and react to what he does..

Found the film from finks perspective>>> FILM
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 07:58:21 PM by TW9 »
Quote from: sax
The community lacks personality , thank #@# for TW9 or
there would'nt even be anyone --------- left .
Quote from: Krusty
Edit2: BAN the ass-hat. That's not skuzzy, that's a tard named TW9

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
Im looking for a trainer
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 09:02:16 PM »
I doubt I will offer anything new or exciting over what he does.  Just FWIW.
You're way better at teaching. I've seen you once explaining stuff in a sentence I couldn't get into words in a year.

Offline Major Biggles

• Gold Member
      • 71 Squadron Website
Im looking for a trainer
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 09:16:22 PM »
Originally posted by 2bighorn
You're way better at teaching. I've seen you once explaining stuff in a sentence I couldn't get into words in a year.

my arse!

you taught me how to kill on the merge and win a slow scissors, and how to use the throttle effectively in about an hour, and then spent a few more hours perfecting it with me. i haven't learned anything that fast EVER

i would definitely value some stick time with nomak though...

perhaps in the new year :)

71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Member DFC

Offline Nomak

• Silver Member
Im looking for a trainer
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006, 09:45:44 PM »
Originally posted by Major Biggles
my arse!

you taught me how to kill on the merge and win a slow scissors, and how to use the throttle effectively in about an hour, and then spent a few more hours perfecting it with me. i haven't learned anything that fast EVER

i would definitely value some stick time with nomak though...

perhaps in the new year :)

So you really have no need for a trainer then.  

What exactly are you looking for?  Not trying to be rude.  I am just trying to understand whats going on here.

Dave