Author Topic: AH FM v. "Real life"  (Read 442 times)

Offline Gooss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com
AH FM v. "Real life"
« on: December 22, 2006, 08:21:45 PM »
Today, I read an Internet article about the F4U.  It mentioned that it was the first fighter to fly over 400 mph in level flight.

I've never "flown" a Hog over 400 mph in level flight in AH.

What am I missing?

HONK!
Gooss
CHICKS DIG GULLWINGS
flying and dying since Tour 19

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
AH FM v. "Real life"
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 08:26:20 PM »
You donīt take the Hog high enough. In AH2, F4U-1 will cross the 400mph line at about 12k and reaches maximum speed at about 20k.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
AH FM v. "Real life"
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 08:55:22 PM »
XP38 also claims to be the first plane to exceed 400mph

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
AH FM v. "Real life"
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 09:37:54 PM »
I'd like to know how the Spixteen, which has a max level speed of ~350mph on the deck, can exceed 450 after a shallow dive of only about 2000 feet and retain that airspeed indefinitely after being in a stall in a  full nose-up attitude. :furious
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline RAPIER

• Copper Member
Spixteen
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 09:41:50 PM »
I have seen them 16s do some amazing things as well, especially related to the speed some of them seem to keep at, against planes the "book" says are much faster.

storch

AH FM v. "Real life"
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 09:47:55 PM »
no the corsair was the first production to design to exceed 400mph in level flight but it did so without armament and self sealing tanks IIRC.

storch

Re: Spixteen
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 09:49:31 PM »
Originally posted by RAPIER
I have seen them 16s do some amazing things as well, especially related to the speed some of them seem to keep at, against planes the "book" says are much faster.
I agree it's amazing to watch them lose both wings and lawn dart as the 110 driver gets accused of cheating.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
AH FM v. "Real life"
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 10:37:09 PM »
And the 16 certainly likes to lose it's wings.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
AH FM v. "Real life"
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 11:25:51 PM »
Originally posted by Raptor
XP38 also claims to be the first plane to exceed 400mph

It was.... Almost 2 years before the XF4U did it too.. A fact Vought elected to ignore in their advertising of the time. This myth persists to today.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
AH FM v. "Real life"
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2006, 07:51:05 AM »
Originally posted by Saxman
I'd like to know how the Spixteen, which has a max level speed of ~350mph on the deck, can exceed 450 after a shallow dive of only about 2000 feet and retain that airspeed indefinitely after being in a stall in a  full nose-up attitude. :furious

And so would I. ... Have used the 16 alot and not done anything like this with the exception of 450, after long near verticle dive.  It shakes itself apart man.