Author Topic: Monitor changes colors...may be the devil...  (Read 611 times)

TheWobble

Monitor changes colors...may be the devil...
« on: December 21, 2000, 01:14:00 PM »
I have a 17 inch gateway vivitron monitor, but for some reason if i move the cord too much it changes colors (green tint, blue tint..etc) as far as i can tell the problemed are is that little bulge near the connector that attaches to the vid card, if I touch it ther even very little it will freak out.  Anyone know how i could fix this? Im not afraid to dig in but im not going to if i dont know what to look for.

Cavatwork

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2000, 03:43:00 AM »
Had the same thing before, you gotta cut out the bad section of cable and reconnect your vid plug.
I removed that object in the cable as that was where the bad section was and it worked perfectly again.

TheWobble

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2000, 04:18:00 AM »
really!, cool will I need any special tools or anything like that?

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2000, 07:15:00 AM »
There may be a metal ring or sleave over the monitor cable near the end.  This is a ferrite ring, and it is there to help decrease electormagnetic interference I believe.  I would reccomend that you put that back on to the shortened cable.

I don't know about tools.  I imagine you woulnd need some kind of a crimper, but I've never done that.

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs  http://www.flyingpigs.com

"A pig is a jolly companion, Boar, sow, barrow, or gilt --
A pig is a pal, who'll boost your morale, Though mountains may topple and tilt.
When they've blackballed, bamboozled, and burned you, When they've turned on you, Tory and Whig,
Though you may be thrown over by Tabby and Rover, You'll never go wrong with a pig, a pig,
You'll never go wrong with a pig!" -- Thomas Pynchon, "Gravity's Rainbow"

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2000, 08:52:00 AM »
If your computer is still in warranty, you will get a new monitor. Just tell tech support that you get green/yellow tint when the cable is moved.

btw, Gateway SUCKS.

-Tac-
Ex-Gateway Technician

TheWobble

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2000, 10:44:00 AM »
The computer is not a Gateway, I built it myself  however thwe monitor is a gateway monitor that I have had for about 3 years, I tink a warrenty is out of the question.

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2000, 01:52:00 PM »
All i did to fix mine was remove the bad section of wiring, first narrow it down of course by trial and error moving the wires, then cut the offending section out and solder and sleeve the wires back together.

TheWobble

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2000, 06:31:00 PM »
isnt there like a big wad of wires there, i.e. a whole lot of small ones?

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2000, 08:17:00 PM »
Err yup  
but dont worry they are all colour coded just match the colours together and all will be fine, it may not look pretty when your done cos you will never get them cables to pack back inside that cable sleeve but who cares tape em up and stuff it outa sight  
At least your monitor will work ok again.

TheWobble

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2000, 09:09:00 AM »
Well, here goes Im gonna do it in a few miniutes, so if yall dont hear from me in a while its BECAUSE I CANT SEE!