Author Topic: JG52 Bf109-G14  (Read 1388 times)

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
JG52 Bf109-G14
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2007, 11:28:55 PM »
wouldnt the spinner have some residue from the cannon blasting away?
Karma, it follows you every where you go...

++The Blue Knights++

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
JG52 Bf109-G14
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2007, 11:33:17 PM »
Originally posted by killnu
wouldnt the spinner have some residue from the cannon blasting away?

I guess the crew chief left a clean spot...

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
JG52 Bf109-G14
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2007, 10:48:53 AM »
Just what do you gentlemen think would be visable on a item that is rotating at over 1200 rpm?  And how long would it stay there without being flung off?  What smoke would "stick" when its rotating and being subjected to high longitudual speed and airflow as well?  That some heavy duty smoke, hope it doesn't slow the plane too much when it runs into it.

I think the gunsmoke on the wings are overdone on alot of skins, but people expect to see that smoke there.
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
JG52 Bf109-G14
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2007, 01:07:46 PM »
yea, good point...planes flying over 300mph...should never be dirt on them...plane gets cleaned every flight.

++The Blue Knights++

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
JG52 Bf109-G14
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2007, 06:26:13 PM »
Look, I will handle all sarcasm on this thread thank you.  :p

I been doing some digging.  I finally found a photo, in lieu of paintings and models, of this plane in Aircraft of the Luftwaffe Fighter Aces Vol 2.  It is actually a I/JG53 aircraft.  Also the nose is without residue (thats dirt) in it's stopped state.  There is overspray on the props from painting the nose.  Although whomever took the picture could have asked all the suckups to move out of the way.  It also has some streaks of a grey color on the fusalage... interesting.

Now, I also  found a G2 with a white nose that has gun smoke residue (slight) around the nose cannon.  I stand corrected in my statement above. :eek:

So, I will see what I can do about the nose.  I expect that any smoke shown will be impossible to see when its rotating.  :aok
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
JG52 Bf109-G14
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2007, 08:08:31 PM »
Originally posted by Fencer51
Look, I will handle all sarcasm on this thread thank you.  :p

Sorry.  Didn't mean for it to be a dig on your work or effort.  I was actually making the first suggestion in all sincerity.  The other posts were meant to be humorous replies to some of the other replies...

My actual plane gets bugs on the spinner all the time.  And there are some nicks in the paint where the screws get removed for inspections and the like.  I just thought the spinner looked a little "pristine" versus the rest of the plane, which looks like it has a realistic level of weathering/dirt.

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
JG52 Bf109-G14
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2007, 09:43:16 PM »
I was being sarcastic...not digging at work, god only knows he has more talent than I ever dream of having...it was a suggestion in sarcastic form.:aok

++The Blue Knights++

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
JG52 Bf109-G14
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2007, 01:52:15 PM »
Hey Fencer, about the grey colors on the fuselage and the white G-2 nose:

maybe the white is just wearing away? The white color often was temporary for the winter season, and even if it wasn't the white distemper white-wash, it would still be a temporary paint of coat. The grey on the fuselage might be a bleed-through of the colors underneath.

Wild guess, but because the nose IS the first thing into the wind, maybe the G2's discoloration is an old paint color showing through as well?

For the most part, earlier in the war (from the beginning into the middle era) the 109s were well cleaned by ground crews. Compare photos of 109s to photos of 110s. 109s have very little exhaust staining (for the most part) but the lesser 110 squadrons have huge black smears stretching far across them, starting from the exhaust points. Same engines, just less preferential treatment by ground crews.

I'd think most basic gun residue stains were cleaned off after a sortie. A quick wipedown I imagine, but can only guess. FYI they do the same with F-16s today because the residue is highly corrosive and can damage the skin of the aircraft.