Author Topic: Frame rates  (Read 407 times)

Travis

Frame rates
« on: December 27, 2000, 02:42:00 PM »
Seen some other posts along these lines.  Anyone suggest a frame rate for sitting on a runway (varies a little with plane etc. i know), for the following setup.  Tried every bios / 3d tweak i can think of. Getting 25-28 fps.
32 bit colour (OK, color then!); 19" monitor; TNT2 (is this the bottleneck?); P3 850;256MB RAM; onboard sound; no other progs running.

Any confirmation gratefully appreciated.

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Frame rates
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2000, 02:47:00 PM »
The TNT2 is the bottleneck.  (Either that or your hard drive is incrediblely slow/fragmented.  Try a defrag if you don't mind the 2 or 3 hours it can take to do it.  You will probably pick up a frame or two.)  What driver version are you using, and on what type of TNT2 card?

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

Travis

Frame rates
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2000, 12:46:00 PM »
many thanks for taking the trouble to respond. Using the latest Nvidia reference drivers - it's the creative version of the card.  I'll ghet hold of something a little beefier to try!

Cheers
Travis

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
Frame rates
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2000, 02:13:00 PM »
Damn....I have a TNT2 card in my system also.  Its an HP system with a PIII running at 733mhz.  I guess I wont know how it runs 1.05 until I can get my prettythang back to Houston and download the bastige.  Stuck in Albuquerque for the next 5 days or so....then its back to Dallas on the 3rd of Jan.  Hopefully be back to try out 1.05 by the 4th.  

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
Frame rates
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2000, 05:26:00 PM »
Well I'm running about 30fps normally, but when I'm at the fleet it runs about 13fps...when the fleet ack is up its 9fps.

I'm runnning a Celeron 500, Windows ME, Voodoo 3 2000 (16 meg) Direct x 7.0a, and all the latest drivers I could find.

In 1.04 my framrate was solid at 32fps unless int the smoke.

Any thoughts on how I could tweak it so I can enjoy the naval warfare??

[This message has been edited by skernsk (edited 12-29-2000).]

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Frame rates
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2000, 09:23:00 PM »
Try patch three.  Picked the framerate up a bit for me, and solved the freezes I was having in the CV ack.

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs  http://www.flyingpigs.com

"A pig is a jolly companion, Boar, sow, barrow, or gilt --
A pig is a pal, who'll boost your morale, Though mountains may topple and tilt.
When they've blackballed, bamboozled, and burned you, When they've turned on you, Tory and Whig,
Though you may be thrown over by Tabby and Rover, You'll never go wrong with a pig, a pig,
You'll never go wrong with a pig!" -- Thomas Pynchon, "Gravity's Rainbow"