Author Topic: Smoke  (Read 808 times)

Offline Gtoraii

• Zinc Member
Smoke
« on: August 27, 2001, 02:28:00 PM »
Just a thought, but shouldn’t the planes smoke as you start them? You watch videos of these planes starting up and they belch out a cloud of white smoke and continue to smoke until the plane it running on all its cylinders.  

Wouldn't it been immersive to have the plane belch out white smoke and obscure your view for a second as it started up?

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Smoke
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2001, 02:32:00 PM »
First of all, no engine has the exhaust running straight into your front canopy. Therefore you would not have you vision obscurred at all... you would be able to barely see it, if at all.

Secondly, it will probably come when HTC has time to concentrate on the miniscule and useless....

Until then, just imagine it.
-SW

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Smoke
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2001, 02:40:00 PM »
several of the planes in our planeset were 'known polluters' too - you could see them miles away from the exhaust.  :)

Offline Gtoraii

• Zinc Member
Smoke
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2001, 02:43:00 PM »
SWulfe
 Ok maybe it wouldn't come up and obscure the view totally but you sure as hell could see it. I also wouldn't say its "useless" Immersion makes a game more enjoyable. I am not going to wine how I want it I am asking what others think. If HTC wants to do it I am sure it wouldn't take a huge amount of time. They also seem to put other "useless" things in like engine start up noises, and giant squid.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Smoke
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2001, 02:47:00 PM »
Yes, it would take a lot of time.

You can't just put together a graphic and say "It's DONE!"

You have to define the point at which it starts and which it will end. You have to define when it turns on and when it cuts off. You have to define if it will get darker and larger over a period of time or stay the same. And much much more.

You have to do the position of it for each aircraft or per exhaust port per aircraft.

That sounds like a lot of work for something that would become like the head bobbing in the cockpit. 1 month down the road, no one notices it.

It'll get here when they want to add the miniscule and useless.
-SW

Offline Gtoraii

• Zinc Member
Smoke
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2001, 02:53:00 PM »
SWulfe  
 Granted it may take some time, I am not saying " ADD IT NOW WAAAHHH!!!" I am saying wouldn't it be neat? Whould you like to see it? whould it add to the feel of the flight sim for you? The answer for all above for me is YES it would.

Would I rather see a new planes sure. As long as it's from the good old U.S of A.    :D

[ 08-27-2001: Message edited by: Gtoraii ]

Offline minus

• Nickel Member
Smoke
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2001, 02:53:00 PM »
SW  damit  is it question on world whta you cant asnver ??? and take a decision ?  :D

you must be that freak Bush junior  :D

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Smoke
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2001, 02:54:00 PM »
I want to see it. I'm telling you, it WILL get here when it gets here.

So asking if people want it is a moot point, HTC will add it... when is another topic.
-SW

Offline Betown

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.ecomm-net.co.uk
Smoke
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2001, 03:11:00 PM »
Well, just for the record I think it's a really good Idea. Immersion is a good thing to have and really makes the game more intresting. It gives you the "Wow" effect which is always nice. Swulf,  I am sure you did not intend to do so, but your post did come accross as if you where bashing his idea. (at least that is how I read it)
But no harm done!

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Smoke
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2001, 04:10:00 PM »
I agree

I'd love to see the exhaust/heat wave~effect from the jet engines on the Arado and such.  And contrails...I mean planes like the Lancaster and B-17 put out an impressive amount of smoke, plus contrails at higher alts.  Forget the icons, you'd see em by that!

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
Smoke
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2001, 04:38:00 PM »
Gtoraii....

Someone should have told ya that wulf likes to crap on other peoples posts.

I think it's a legit suggestion...probably won't ever happen, but I for one would like to see it :)

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Smoke
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2001, 04:57:00 PM »
Rude, you find out a way to break 40K in the pony? You seem to be riding a really high horse today.
-SW

Offline Gtoraii

• Zinc Member
Smoke
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2001, 01:10:00 PM »
mrfish
 What were the known poluters?

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Smoke
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2001, 02:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gtoraii:
mrfish
 What were the known poluters?

F4 Phantom comes to mind, different era.  :)