Author Topic: Single engine flight in the P-38  (Read 682 times)

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Single engine flight in the P-38
« on: January 03, 2007, 02:58:26 AM »
I'm trying to learn how to properly fly the P-38 on one engine.  Generally, when I lose an engine in combat I have no problems keeping the airplane in the air, provided that the attacker does not finish me off.  However, I've been practicing losing an engine on takeoff, and I can't seem to keep her flying.  The Pilot's Manual says that the minimum safe speed for one engine is 160 M.P.H.  I'm in a very lightly loaded P-38, and I can't hold my altitude even from 200 M.P.H.

The ball is centered, I am using no flaps, and my power is at fifty four inches (I should not have to use War Emergency Power; in fact, I should be able to throttle back and still maintain altitude).  I am not buffeting or trying to climb; my angle of attack is as low as possible.  I can keep flying for minutes at a time but eventually I start going down.  There is a crosswind, but that should not affect my ability to maintain speed and altitude.

Here is a film.  What am I doing wrong?  [Link]
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 03:01:24 AM by Benny Moore »

Offline Balsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 06:33:05 AM »
combat trim or manual trim?

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 07:27:19 AM »
It's manual, trimmed to the center.  I always trim it there at the beginning of every flight so I do not have to become reacquainted with the feel of the stall with different trim settings (something you don't have to deal with in a real airplane, since the stick's actual center never moves with trim).  It shouldn't matter, however, as the trim doesn't affect the position of your elevator if you're holding the airplane at the same pitch.

Offline Old Sport

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 11:07:33 AM »
Hi Benny,

At Zeno's the video for P-38 emergency procedure shows complete shutdown and feather for single engine flight, not just pulling the engine back to idle. So it appears that in your film you are flying with power differential, not single engined flight, and I think your idling engine is acting like a big brake.

I just tried the J, Military power only (no WEP) shut down the starboard engine on TO at 100 kts, took off without any major trouble and continued climbout at about 1000 fpm.

Yippee single engine T/O, climbout

Best Regards
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 11:21:09 AM by Old Sport »

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 12:08:37 PM »
Wow - I don't know what to say.  I haven't been this embarrassed concerning the P-38 since five years ago when I wondered why the P-38 could never reach four hundred miles per hour indicated in level flight.  Wow - the P-38 fanatic, the Lightning zealot, forgot to feather his propeller.  I've only read the proceedure in the Pilots Manual, what, a dozen times?  Thanks, Old Sport, I would not have figured that out in a thousand years of staring at "ENGINE FAILURE DURING TAKE-OFF."  I, um ... I think I'm going to cry into my pillow now.

Offline Old Sport

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 12:56:56 PM »
Glad to help :aok

[Gave me a chance to actually use my Yippee skin in single engine flight for training purposes!]
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 01:07:03 PM by Old Sport »

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 01:12:32 PM »
Can you really feather a prop in this game?
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 01:25:33 PM »
I think most multi engined AC can.

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 01:25:35 PM »
"Can you really feather a prop in this game?"

Pretty close to!

Just set engine RPM to the minimum. This puts the blade into a very course pitch almost like a feathered prop.

Try flying any aircraft. Then stop the engine and let it glide on Auto speed. After it has settled, reduce the RPM setting to minimum and watch the glide angle dramatically improve as the dead prop drag is reduced.
Just remember it is the RPM setting not the Throttle!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 01:28:34 PM by Blagard »

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 01:32:52 PM »
In fact, one of the two P-38 manuals I have - I don't recall which - suggests this very thing for simulating single engine landings.  Since feathering requires shutting down the engine, pilots simulating single engine landings would simply pull the throttle and propeller lever all the way back.  If they needed to go around, then, they could throw the propeller and throttle up.  If it was feathered, they'd have to unfeather and then start the engine.

Old Sport, check your private messages please.  I sent you one before your last post.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 01:35:37 PM by Benny Moore »

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 04:26:36 PM »
Originally posted by Blagard
"Can you really feather a prop in this game?"

Pretty close to!

Just set engine RPM to the minimum. This puts the blade into a very course pitch almost like a feathered prop.

Try flying any aircraft. Then stop the engine and let it glide on Auto speed. After it has settled, reduce the RPM setting to minimum and watch the glide angle dramatically improve as the dead prop drag is reduced.
Just remember it is the RPM setting not the Throttle!

I think if the engine quicks during flight from damage AH puts the prop in to feather, but there is no feather prop selection on any of the instrument.  If you reduce the prop in flight that is not the same as a feathered prop and you would have to carry a lot of power on an engine to over come the induced drage of a non-feathered prop.  I have 30 years of multi engine time, some of it not in turbines.  my experience is if you can't feather the prop, you going down fast, in some light twins  even if you can feather the prop, you still going down just not as fast.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 07:03:11 PM »
Traveller,

It really does not matter that much if the feather controls are there or not.

If you tried what I said you would understand that the low RPM setting on a stopped engine in AH are "pretty close" to what I would expect from a feathered prop. Even damaged engines do not show feathered props but the reduced drag is modelled. and thats what dropping the RPM on a stopped engine seems to do as well. - Just try it.

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2007, 06:37:05 AM »
I have a problem.  I cannot change R.P.M. on one engine without the same occurring on the other engine.  I only have one throttle axis, so I have to use the "Select Engine 1" and "Select Engine 2" keys.  I also have to use the "Increase RPM" and "Decrease RPM" keys.  For some reason, when I select one engine, my throttle axis works only for that engine but the R.P.M. key works for both engines.

Offline DustyR

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 06:52:24 AM »
] I have to use the "Select Engine 1" and "Select Engine 2" keys. I also have to use the "Increase RPM" and "Decrease RPM" keys
I have experience the same control, put without ill effect, the 38 fly very nicely on one engine.  A bit of a hand full on take off with only one, but never the less got it air born.:huh :noid
Coal Country WV -- Home of the free ** because of the brave.

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2007, 08:16:15 AM »
I don't understand.  How are you able to take off without reducing R.P.M. on the bad engine?