Author Topic: What is the best controller  (Read 1346 times)

Offline LtTalon

• Zinc Member
What is the best controller
« on: January 03, 2007, 03:23:28 PM »
I have been given the perfect gift (for me). I was told to pick out the most ideal controller I would like to have and it would be purchased for me. I am not comfortable with purchasing a controller over the Internet. I don't want to buy something only to find that it fails me at a critical moment. Most of you know I need all the help I can get. So I am asking you for advice. Help me make this a great decision?

Thanks
LtTalon

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 03:28:13 PM »
I currently have a X-45 Saitek, soon i hope to replace that with the X-52.  Thats what I would recommend.

Offline nexus69

• Copper Member
      • http://www.708th.com
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 03:49:59 PM »
X-52 from Saitek

BTW do not forget about the pedals!!! everyone needs pedals! :)

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 03:50:44 PM »
MSSPP2!:aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline lambo31

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 03:51:50 PM »
X52 from bestbuy with the extra warrenty option.

Lambo
Ingame ID: Lambo

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 03:55:47 PM »
CH products sticks.

http://www.chproducts.com/retail_flash/index.html

be mindful the "fighterstick pro" is not better than the fighterstick, it is actually a scaled back version.

if you do get a stick there, also, there are no twisty sticks, so you will need the pro pedals. and also a throttle...

total direct from them:  $449.85

thats a nice offer from whoever is buying these.
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 04:15:30 PM »
Originally posted by nexus69
X-52 from Saitek

BTW do not forget about the pedals!!! everyone needs pedals! :)

definitly the pedals.  I have CH usb pedals with my x-45, works great.  when they die I'll get the saitek pedals..

Offline Brenjen

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 04:20:29 PM »
I use the CH fighter stick, an X-52 throttle & CH peds. I love the X-52 throttle, but the X-52 stick, though great when I first got it, it picked up some stick drift & began to stutter. By stutter I mean the twisty would hang & release & hang & release several times a second like rubbing a freshly washed hand on a rubber ball. It felt like the rubber O-ring was dry or something, so I took it apart & used white lithium grease on the parts I could see that moved & it didn't help at all. I took the stick apart again to see if I could remedy it, thought I might have had it & when I put the stick back together the fine wires that are soldered to the tiny circuit board broke loose & were so small I couldn't get them to stay soldered.

It wouldn't have been that big of a deal to leave it with that little stutter but it made it very difficult to make small corrections & my aim suffered. And I'm sort of a perfection freak with my equipment, one little thing wrong & I fix it or destroy it trying.

I don't know about the CH throttle, I've never used one but the X-52 throttle is an excellent addition the the CH stick.

Offline Warspawn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 04:52:00 PM »
I went from the old X36, then to the X52, then back to the X45 Saitek's.  I liked the X52, but it felt a bit 'soft' to me.  The X45 felt a little more comfortable to me since that one uses a pretty beefy spring system that responds better to deliberate inputs.

They aren't being made any more as far as I know, but there's many of them still for sale in warehouses accross the globe.

I hated the twisty stick when I had it.  Much more used to a rocker switch to control rudders than a twist stick.  I'm looking forward to getting the Saitek pedals...maybe I'll groundloop my Corsair a bit less with toebrakes easy to use rather than diving for the keyboard as my plane starts that little move...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 05:01:16 PM by Warspawn »
Purple haze all in my brain
Lately things just don't seem the same
Actin' funny, but I don't know why

'Scuse me while I kiss the sky                 
                                                 --J. Hendrix

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 05:02:28 PM »
Originally posted by Brenjen
I use the CH fighter stick, an X-52 throttle & CH peds.
thought I was the only one...

even though i recommended the ch throttle, i personally use an x45 throttle. only reason? the rotary trim knobs. if CH made one like thrustmasters with the trim knobs, I'd get it.

I didn't recommend that setup to the gentleman because it would involve buying 2 sticks, along with the pedals (although overall cheaper)
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 05:02:43 PM »
There is only one controller ... CH
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline kamilyun

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 05:03:24 PM »
Originally posted by Warspawn
I went from the old X36, then to the X52, then back to the X45 Saitek's.  I liked the X52, but it felt a bit 'soft' to me.  The X45 felt a little more comfortable to me since the uses a pretty beefy spring system that responds better to deliberate inputs.

They aren't being made any more as far as I know, but there's many of them still for sale in warehouses accross the globe.

I hated the twisty stick when I had it.  Much more used to a rocker switch to control rudders than a twist stick.  I'm looking forward to getting the Saitek pedals...maybe I'll groundloop my Corsair a bit less with toebrakes easy to use rather than diving for the keyboard as my plane starts that little move...

IMHO...X45!!!  I hate twisty sticks, too.

I was able to procure a used X45 and saved my old one for parts.

I also have CH pedals and a stick, but don't think either of these will see use anytime soon.  The X45 is my favorite by far.  Think I'm going to buy all the used ones on Ebay :D

Offline Dace

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 05:49:20 PM »
Originally posted by SkyRock
MSSPP2!:aok

or MSSFFB2

Offline icemaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 05:52:22 PM »
Dont let anyone lead you astray if you have the duckets CH PRODUCTS are the only choice they will be the last best control set you ever have to buy.
Army of Das Muppets     
Member DFC Furballers INC. If you cant piss with big dogs go run with the pack

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 05:56:44 PM »
CH Products is the way to go. I am still using the analog CH pedals I bought in '97 - no stutters, spikes or weirdness. I wish I still had my CH Fighterstick.

asw
asw
Latrine Attendant, 1st class
semper in excretio, solum profundum variat