Author Topic: Wingless Ace  (Read 917 times)

Offline Sasarasa

• Zinc Member
Wingless Ace
« on: January 05, 2007, 06:42:42 PM »
Been searching for the right section to post it. If it's not the right one, feel fre to move it.

Last night entered in a 2 vs 2 combat, we were on a Bf-109 and a C-205 (me), and the other guys were flying f-4u. In the middle of the fight my partner tells me: I ripped his wing of, and he's still flying!.
Not only that guy keeps flying, also was able to shoot me down and safely land his plane. It was impressive.

The pilot was CpMorgan.

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
Wingless Ace
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 06:52:01 PM »
If you have film send it to HTC. Either a bug or the big "C" word!:noid
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Major Biggles

• Gold Member
      • 71 Squadron Website
Wingless Ace
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 07:00:55 PM »
probably lost a wingtip, or just an aileron. i know morgan, he aint no cheat, he's a great guy.

71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Member DFC

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
Wingless Ace
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 07:05:01 PM »
^^ what he said.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Wingless Ace
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 07:05:13 PM »
Originally posted by SuperDud

Not necessarily. He may have only lost a half wing. And with luck & skill you can actually land in most planes.

I remember being called a cheap cheater in a similar situation. While flying an Il-2, an Ostwind smashed my right wing. I was to far away from airfield, but with flaps and lots of rudder I was luckily able to ditch my plane in a forest aisle. After I came back w/ new plane and killed that Ostwind, the other guy accused me of pulling the plug (=intentional disco to prevent getting him a kill - which wouldn´t even work that way) :D
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 07:08:41 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Wingless Ace
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 07:23:00 PM »
he more than likely was missing just 1/2 the wing,  me and Schatzi got into a 2 vs 2 battle with Boozer and another Rook, they were in P51s Schatzi in her Hurri and me in an F4U-1, I lost 1/2 a wing  and was able to still fly and get Boozer's wingy but Boozer eventually worked me over using maneuvers that played to the weak side of my plane ( the missing  1/2 wing ) as long as I turned with my good wing on the outside of the turn, I was able to manage it, but each time I went in the direction of where the 1/2 wing was on the outside of the turning direction, it made it difficult to recover or level back out quickly........

and of course the ability to use flaps still helped as well........

Think Schatzi has that film some where.......

edit: geez, I must type real slow, Lusche  had not posted yet when I started to reply.....heh
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 07:32:05 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
Wingless Ace
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 07:23:25 PM »
I did that with an FM2 only this morning...

Lost half a wing in collision and was able to limp to the runway.

Offline CpMorgan

• Zinc Member
Here's the report
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 08:07:57 PM »
I really didn't want to post this myself at first because of all the potental flac it would cause. So when I saw Sasarasa in the TA today, I asked him to go ahead and post this fight here so there was an "outside observer view" to what happened. I was in a F4U-1 over A1 in the Orange arena late last night having fun with Sas and GETSUM fitin over the GV area. They had come over A1 to CAP the field I was comming up from. ENY had negated the F4U-1A I was flyin so I grabbed a F4U-1 from another base. I met them at alt over A1 and was fitin both. I got some good hits on both AC and the FW190 was smokin pretty good. Then I got hit from the FW and took off 1/2 of my left wing. With a LOT of rudder and flaps, I was able to upright the craft and level off some. Sas flew in front of me and I took him out, BANG, without having to deflect any. It was a pure snapshot. I'm fitin like blazes just to keep the AC up when the FW comes in to finish me. I let off a little rudder and my AC goes really sideways and the FW overshoots. I get another ping off him and he flys into the ACK, POOF gone. Now I got 2 kills and I'm just trying to stay in the air. Lucky I was over my own base, cause I don't think I coulda went very far in the condition I was in. I limped around to the runway and belly landed in. End of story. Broke a sweat, pumped a LOT of adrenelin, had LOADS of fun. Thanks Sasarasa and GETSUN for a good fite. to both of you guys.  :aok

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
Re: Here's the report
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 08:13:35 PM »
Originally posted by CpMorgan
I really didn't want to post this myself at first because of all the potental flac it would cause. So when I saw Sasarasa in the TA today, I asked him to go ahead and post this fight here so there was an "outside observer view" to what happened. I was in a F4U-1 over A1 in the Orange arena late last night having fun with Sas and GETSUM fitin over the GV area. They had come over A1 to CAP the field I was comming up from. ENY had negated the F4U-1A I was flyin so I grabbed a F4U-1 from another base. I met them at alt over A1 and was fitin both. I got some good hits on both AC and the FW190 was smokin pretty good. Then I got hit from the FW and took off 1/2 of my left wing. With a LOT of rudder and flaps, I was able to upright the craft and level off some. Sas flew in front of me and I took him out, BANG, without having to deflect any. It was a pure snapshot. I'm fitin like blazes just to keep the AC up when the FW comes in to finish me. I let off a little rudder and my AC goes really sideways and the FW overshoots. I get another ping off him and he flys into the ACK, POOF gone. Now I got 2 kills and I'm just trying to stay in the air. Lucky I was over my own base, cause I don't think I coulda went very far in the condition I was in. I limped around to the runway and belly landed in. End of story. Broke a sweat, pumped a LOT of adrenelin, had LOADS of fun. Thanks Sasarasa and GETSUN for a good fite. to both of you guys.  :aok

:huh.... Please tell me you fly Knights... Cause I dont wanna meet you with a complete aircraft otherwise

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Wingless Ace
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 10:32:19 PM »
Originally posted by SuperDud

:rofl
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Sasarasa

• Zinc Member
Re: Here's the report
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 02:55:38 AM »
Originally posted by CpMorgan

Nice flying Morgan!:aok
Wish I'd be luckier next time. :D

Offline Trikky

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Wingless Ace
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2007, 02:59:38 AM »
Anyone know why some planes carry on flying without a wingtip and others dont? Is it representative of something or just arbitrary?

Eg the Pink 51 flys faster without a wingtip, almost worth knocking them both off on a hangar when you spawn. Spits and F4U's can still manoeuver enough to shoot C47s down, while with others its almost certain death.

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Wingless Ace
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2007, 03:33:36 AM »
The determining factor in the game is probably wingloading.  In reality, it would be a number of factors (wingloading, liftloading, and some other things which I don't understand) which would determine how much of a wing an airplane can lose and still fly.  Obviously, the more G's one pulls missing a half a wing, the better that half a wing needs to be.

I actually was out-turned in a 360 degree turn the other day by a La-7 the wing of which I had blown half off in my P-38.  While I'm sure a better P-38 pilot could have avoided it (and I did let up on him for a bit, thinking he was crippled), it's still, er, interesting that a La-7 can pull enough G's with one and a half wings to do a 360 degree turn tight enough and fast enough to put lead into another actively maneuvering aircraft, one flown by a well-above average pilot.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 03:38:03 AM by Benny Moore »

Offline eilif

• Silver Member
Wingless Ace
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 03:36:21 AM »
Its probably is more related to a game play element than a physics reality.

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Wingless Ace
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2007, 03:49:34 AM »
There have been many accounts, complete with pictures, of fighters missing half of a wing and landing.  From the Lockheed P-38 and the Republic P-47 to the McDonnell Douglas F/A-18 and F-15, quite a few aircraft have managed to do this.  In the case of the latter, the airplane was missing all but two feet of the wing.  On the other hand, actively maneuvering in aerial combat has not been, as far as I know, successfully performed under such circumstances.  My guess is that it was all the pilots could do to keep their ships flying straight and level.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 03:51:48 AM by Benny Moore »