Author Topic: Control question  (Read 469 times)

Offline Anduril

• Zinc Member
Control question
« on: January 10, 2007, 09:24:21 PM »
I've just started playing Aces High and I was wondering why my plane (any plane) seems to be not as nimble as other planes. I have a hard time turning and doing simple things, but only some of the time.

Offline Damionte

• Copper Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/cthunder16
Control question
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 09:38:05 PM »
Really just practice. Or you have the stall limiter on still, or a combination of the two.
Drackson

Allied Commander: AvA / Campaign Series: North Africa / Italy

Offline Anduril

• Zinc Member
Control question
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 09:40:07 PM »
Well I've played games like this in the past and have no trouble flying the plane but when I engage another plane it seems that plane is ridiculously agile when I can barely turn.

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Control question
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 09:43:42 PM »
Try keeping a little more speed up your sleeve. Keeping you ship near its "corner speed" will help you lots. The trick is not to bleed it all away with hard on-the-stall-buzzer turns. Seems counter-intuitive, but just relax your turns a little and you should become more agile.
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline FBplmmr

• Silver Member
Control question
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 09:43:45 PM »
the "stall limiter" will prevent you from riding the edge of stalls/spins

bombs/full tanks will add weight and reduce maneouverablilty(sp)

if you dont have enough "E" (or too much)you will be severely limited .

other folks will give you more info

I was in several fights onight and couldnt figure out why I was soooooobad .. turned out I had 2000 lbs of bombs still loaded ..doh

the  hellcat is a great plane but doesnt loop or turn very well with 2 1000  lb  bombs loaded lol

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Control question
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 09:46:20 PM »
Originally posted by Damionte
you have the stall limiter on still,

sounds like it

bring up clipboard, click on preferences , then click on flight preferences, then uncheck the stall limiter enabled box.....should cure your inability to perform tight / high G turns
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Coshy

• Nickel Member
Control question
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 10:14:03 PM »
I experienced the same sensation. It seemed like it took FOREVER to make any kind of directional change.

Part of it is probably things that have already been mentioned, but another part may be your perception. Previous to AH2 I had been flying a space sim (X3 The reunion, great game btw) and the ships there turned alot faster than the ones here. I just had to adjust how I expected them to perform. It just takes some time.
Currently flying as "Ruger"

Offline Anduril

• Zinc Member
Control question
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 11:52:20 PM »
Well I got my first kills tonight. Two whole kills. Though both of them were straight on....

Flying the plane still feels slow. I guess I have to get used to it.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Control question
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 01:04:32 AM »
First lets eliminate the obvious:

1.  Is your gear up? (Key G)
2.  Are your flaps up? (Keys Q down & W up)
3.  Are you overloaded with bombs/rockets/drop tanks?
4.  Are you at full throttle/full RPM? (verify throttle mapping in set-up... Keys +/- for RPM)
5.  Is your stall limiter enabled? (disable it in set-up)

Now a few other questions:

Are you just taking off?
Are you trying to climb to the enemy?

If so you're too slow to manouver.  Keep speed at a minimum of 200 in virtually any plane and preferably higher to engage.

Are you mis-matched?  Are you trying to turn fight a NIK, Hurri, A6M etc with a 190, P-51D, etc?  Don't turn fight with a B'n'Z plane and be careful B'n'Zing with a turn fighter.  Know your plane and your enemy's plane and exploit your strengths against his weaknesses.

Beyond that many other things can come into play; fuel load, gun package (weight), use of rudder, flaps, throttle, etc.

As long as you've got the first 5 covered you're on your way.  The rest just takes flight time and practice.

Hope that helps.

Have fun with it, I bet those first two kills felt pretty good.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Control question
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 04:14:15 AM »
I guesss the first question to ask is what other games have you flown in the past? It's sometimes hard to compare the flight characteristics of the planes in this game to many others.

Speed also plays an important role in maneuverability. Too slow means slow to roll and turn. Many new folks to the game have a tendency to fly much slower when they first begin. As time progresses so does their speed
(read energy management).

I'd suggest you drop in and visit any of the trainers in the Training Arena (TA). We can help you sort out any problems you might be experiencing.

Welcome to AH2!!!

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Re: Control question
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 07:27:04 AM »
Originally posted by Anduril
I have a hard time turning and doing simple things, but only some of the time.

What kind of joystick are you using? Have you calibrated it in WinXP? Have you tried (or do you know about) any of the joystick adjustments available to you in AH?

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Control question
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 07:55:54 AM »
Anduril, what simulators have you used in the past, and for how long?