Author Topic: What Type Of Joystick Should I Get???  (Read 1262 times)

Offline herrhav0k

• Zinc Member
What Type Of Joystick Should I Get???
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2007, 07:52:45 AM »
What exactly is a rocker rudder? I can't stand most twist rudders, especially the one on this ST290 Pro I have right now, and I am actually doing a lot better using ASD on the keyboard for rudder inputs.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2007, 08:23:59 AM »
Originally posted by herrhav0k
What exactly is a rocker rudder? I can't stand most twist rudders, especially the one on this ST290 Pro I have right now, and I am actually doing a lot better using ASD on the keyboard for rudder inputs.

Its a rocker switch at the back of the throttle (operated with the fingers that grab around the throttle). It can be moved in both directions and is self centering if you let go of it.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2007, 10:26:13 AM »
Originally posted by 1K3
Guys, what is so special about CH.  I've seen and touched a CH yoke and joystick.  The Yoke and Joystick feels too light and too cheap to be called industrial-made.  I think my Microsoft Force Feedback 2 (i don't use feedback mode btw) has better internal components (optical sensors, not potentiometers to keep better track of the joystick) and it is heavier so it stays indefinitely on the table.

The fact that my Ch stick, throttle and pedals still works flawlessly after 11 years makes it special to me.

Offline KrYp

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.muscularstangracing.com
Thanks Everyone!
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2007, 12:21:23 PM »
Wow! Thanks to everyone for helping out! I really appericate it. I guess I need to do some more research and narrow down the selection. To also help I should mention I'm in a wheelchair. I've got Duchenne Muscular Dystorphy, my strength isn't that of a normal person so it limits my ability to use certain joysticks.

Dichotomy: Thanks for the info but that is well out of my price range.

Bad31st: Thanks, again i'm not sure if the "twist" motion will be something I can sustain for extended length of play and i'm not sure if that's best for me. I'll stay away from logitech lol.

Schatzi: Wow thanks for the in-depth response. Again I'm not sure if the twist type joystick would work for me. Do you think one that does the twist and rocker rudder together would be a better choice for me? I could see in the future upgrading to the X45 or X52, not the CH though, to exspensive. Yeah I was planning on buying brand new anyways.

Again thanks to everyone for the help. Hopefully it narrows down my selection but my phsyical condition will be the deciding factor in which type I get. I'm mianly looking for something that handles every aspect of the game and uses it to it's full potiental. Thanks again everyone. Sincerely, Adam

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Re: Thanks Everyone!
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2007, 01:04:31 PM »
Originally posted by KrYp

Schatzi: Wow thanks for the in-depth response. Again I'm not sure if the twist type joystick would work for me. Do you think one that does the twist and rocker rudder together would be a better choice for me? I could see in the future upgrading to the X45 or X52, not the CH though, to exspensive. Yeah I was planning on buying brand new anyways.

Kryp,

the best option would probably be to go to a local media/computer parts store where they actually *display* Joysticks they sell. Go there and take a few in your hand... to see what suits you best. Maybe you have a friend/neighbour (or his kids) that have a Joystick you can test and see what fits your special needs.

Otherwise, if you do not know which rudder type you can get along with better, a stick that offers both might well be a good choice. My boyfriend had the Thrustmaster Afterburner II (which offers both options) for almost a year. He did have durability issues especially with the hatswitch and some buttons towards the end. But Id say (he payed about 50 EUR, youll have to check the Web and see what prices you can get - depends a little on your location) for the price its something you can certainly try. Both the twisty and rocker switch are lightly operable, as well as the springs.

Im not very familiar with your medical condition, but reduced strenght could place a problem in both cases actually. To use a rocker rudder switch, youll basically only have the fingertips to push the switch... but on the other hand a twisty will force you to hold your wrist at rather unatural positions for some lengths of time... that will certainly need some strenght in the lower arms. In your case, id suggest you try looking for a stick that has rather loose springs and is lighter to operate. Probably only trying out will tell which suits you better.

Due to its pretty stiff springs and the very small ROM of the rocker, i wouldnt recommend a X45 in your case.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2007, 02:12:21 PM »
Get a EVO twisty $38 at best buy. I also have a game pad $20 that i bought for throt and extra buttons. Been playing for almost 3 years and i really dont see the need to spend $150 when the EVO feels so good. Also my gunnery is better than the average rabbit..

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2007, 02:25:49 PM »
Originally posted by aztec
The fact that my Ch stick, throttle and pedals still works flawlessly after 11 years makes it special to me.

The joystick still works after 11 years despite that they only use springs and potentiometers??????

For some reason I'm still not convinced.  I need reasons on why i should buy CH joysticks.  Would i lreally last that long?

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2007, 02:50:23 PM »
Originally posted by 1K3
The joystick still works after 11 years despite that they only use springs and potentiometers??????

For some reason I'm still not convinced.  I need reasons on why i should buy CH joysticks.  Would i lreally last that long?

I got 2 complete gameport CH HOTAS setups ( CH Fighter Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pedals ( 1 pro 1 regular ))  

1 set is around 11 years old,  the other set is dated 97 so it is 9 or 10 years old, they both work wonderful without  any problems, I use the batch file made from CH-Hangar forum to program in winXP.......works great ( thank you horn for the link )

the only thing to ever happen was a spring popped off on my oldest Fighter Stick, when I opened it up I crimped the wire connectors to make them fit more securely and in doing so it eleviated all the minor spikes I would have from time to time ( this was like 4 yrs ago I did this ).

The thing I love about the analog gameport models is the built in memory, where once programmed it stays even if you unplug it for months on end.

I have went thru 4 computers and still use the same joystick/HOTAS setup......  never changed a spring, never changed a potentiometer, did add some rubberbands and experimented with stronger springs before, but ended up going back to original configuration!!!!  now my CH combat stick, I changed 2 potentiometers and fixed 2 wires that had become pinched, but it still works good as well,  and I bought it in '96  ( the Jane's Combat Stick version )

THEY LAST...........that's that
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 02:53:55 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2007, 03:24:27 PM »
Originally posted by 1K3 I need reasons on why i should buy CH joysticks.  Would i lreally last that long?

1K3,
You don't need me to tell you that you do and believe whatever you like.  No problem there.  As a guy who rips CH stuff apart on a daily basis doing all sorts of mods, I can personally tell you that the pots, switches and gimbals used in these things are second to none.  I am still using CH hardware from almost 15 years ago.  I bought my first FighterStick/Pro Throttle/Pro Pedals and used them for over ten years before I replaced them with new USB versions.  I have since modded the old versions and am using them again for other projects.  This stuff lasts forever.

The second reason CH controllers are second to none is the programmable software (Control Manager) that comes with all their stuff.  There is almost nothing that cannot be programmed with CM.  There is not a manufacturer out there that provides anything nearly as powerful as CM.
The Hay Street Boys

Offline Hofy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2007, 03:42:48 PM »
Originally posted by 1K3

I still have my CH Flightstick that I bought in 1992 for Red Baron and Aces of the Pacific.  I still play these sims today with that stick on a 486 I got for free.

Offline Bad31st

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2007, 05:14:01 PM »
Hey KrYp,

I saw this thread and thought you might be interested....

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2007, 06:34:48 PM »
Getting convinced yet?

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2007, 11:43:11 PM »
I just went to best buy today to test CH products.  I'm convinced rthat their HOTAS are second-to-none.  I am still having doubts about the CH rudders and CH sticks.  I've had bad experience with joysticks that uses springs and potentiometers, such as excessive drifting.  I wonder if that kind of problem will show up if i buy CH stick+pedals.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 11:51:47 PM by 1K3 »

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2007, 12:06:55 AM »
Originally posted by 1K3
I've had bad experience with joysticks that uses springs and potentiometers, such as excessive drifting.  I wonder if that kind of problem will show up if i buy CH stick+pedals.

http://www.provantage.com

http://www.securemart.com

http://www.newegg.com

check these website/webstores out for a good price........search for CH Products  

as far as excessive drifting, my view is it would not be a problem..........but it is all in how you handle your equipment and take care of it............don't treat it like ya ballglove and throw it in the closet, treat it like a model or prized  trophy when putting it away when not using it ;)

things seem to last longer when you go about it in that way.......
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline KrYp

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.muscularstangracing.com
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2007, 12:42:43 PM »
Schatzi I probably should go a try some out but I'm tempted to just buy one know. I mean as long as I get one that supports both versions twist and rocker rudder I should be fine. Is the thrustmaster afterburner & thrustmaster afterburner II similar. I'm getting different info on ebay and just online. Some say the first afterburner has both and other sites say it has both twist and rocker rudder. Couldn't find the afterburner II on ebay other then a company that had used ones that where tested and supposedly work and I'm not sure if I should even bother at all. Yeah the rocker rudder seems to be what would work prefectly. I think the main thing is my wrist and hand would just get sore and tired if I had to use a twist type for a while. OK i'll stay away from the X45. Thanks again for the detailed response I really appericate the help. Sincerely, Adam