Author Topic: What Type Of Joystick Should I Get???  (Read 1260 times)

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
What Type Of Joystick Should I Get???
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2007, 01:41:58 PM »
the x45 is stiff, but the x52 does NOT have the rocker rudder....

personally i find the rocker rudder uncomfortable to use, as it is an awkward position when the throttle is maxed...

TIP for all who use that....

try "inverting" the throttle axis in AH... when the throttle is in the "up" position it is full throttle then, and you can reach the rocker and stuff better. takes only a few flights to get used to it.

as for worrying about a twisty stick KrYp... you don;t hold it twisted all the time, and it is usually a quite short throw (only turns about 1/4 to the right and 1/4 to the left)

most are quite soft, and easy to manipulate.

as for what brand... please stay away from logitech if you are buying online. if you were to go to a best buy, and get the service plan, you can go back in 2 months when it breaks and get a new one. they truly are terrible for reliability.
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline KrYp

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.muscularstangracing.com
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2007, 03:51:15 PM »
Hey Mustaine. Yeah I think I'm going to get one that has both the twisty and the rocker rudder so I can mess around with both ways and see what works best. That's a great tip, I can see how that would be a problem if it wasn't inverted. Oh ok, see I was thinking you would be constantly twisting and holding it twisted for long extended amounts of time. If it's just every now and then that's ok. I still think i'll get one with both though just to see what I like. Yeah I've heard that a lot about the logictech. I've got one of there wireless mouses and haven't had any problems with it but I'll listen to people who've had bad experience's with their joysticks. Thanks for the info Mustaine:aok. Your name by any chance is that in relation to megadeath?? Thanks again. Sincerely, Adam

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2007, 04:32:09 PM »
Originally posted by KrYp
Hey Mustaine. Yeah I think I'm going to get one that has both the twisty and the rocker rudder so I can mess around with both ways and see what works best.

I think there's a misunderstanding here.  There are no sticks with BOTH twisty and rocker controls, it's either one or the other (or none at all).  Either will work and some prefer one over the other, it's a real "love/hate" type of thing.  The best answer would be to get whatever stick offers the features you need regardless of whether it's a rocker or twist and plan on picking up pedals at some later date.  In the end if you stay with the game you'll really want to switch to pedals anyway.
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2007, 06:56:35 PM »
i knew i'd be addicted so i went ahead and got the x-52

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2007, 07:02:14 PM »
Originally posted by Mace2004
I think there's a misunderstanding here.  There are no sticks with BOTH twisty and rocker controls,

Mace, I was referring to the fact that the Thrustmaster Afterburner II has an either/or option.

It has both a twisty axis and a rocker switch. The two can NOT be operated at the same time. But you can use the twisty if you like. Or lock the twist motion with a switch on its bottom and use the rocker instead.

And only Kryp can answer this, but i think someone in a wheelchair that has a general muscle weakness will have a hard time operating rudder peds (I might be wrong here, its always worth a try!!). AFAIK DMD starts in the leg muscles and is progressive.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 07:15:27 PM by Schatzi »
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2007, 09:34:58 PM »
Originally posted by KrYp
Your name by any chance is that in relation to megadeath?? Thanks again. Sincerely, Adam
Yup. My real life name is David, and I am a big Medageth fan. I actually ha a guitar signed by them. :aok

check what others have said... I don't know of a stick with both twist and rocker (though Schatzi says the thrustmaster does, I have never personally been in contact with that stick)

with muscle and hand weakness my first though (just now comes to mind duh lol) is a comfortable hat switch. I have a CH stick, and not so large hands. the hat switch is such a stretch i get cramps sometimes holding my thumb up there.

I am going to have to say, get to a bestbuy or similar, and physically try holding the stick.

the 2 biggest things you will be doing is using the Hat and the throttle (as far a moving around alot)

I think you will really appreciate doing that in the long run.

Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2007, 10:13:16 PM »
The Saitek Evos can be adjusted to fit your hand.  The rest for the heel of your hand is adjustable up and down for large and small hands and the top section with trigger and buttons gan be adjusted side to side and forward and back.  I had one and it can be configured for just about any hand.  I was even able to adjust it for left hand use. It's limited because its a stick only with a throtle lever and not a lot of buttons.  To few for me.   I believe the X-52 has the adjustable hand rest but I don't think it has the other adjustments.   Take a look at Saitek.com.
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2007, 11:39:01 PM »
Originally posted by Schatzi
Mace, I was referring to the fact that the Thrustmaster Afterburner II has an either/or option.

Ah, roger that Schatzi, I've never seen one and didn't go back to look at all of your original post.  Just goes to show that reading a little closer keeps the student in all of us awake.:aok
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline KrYp

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.muscularstangracing.com
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2007, 02:09:14 PM »
Schatzi: Yeah I'm not ever planning on using pedels of any kind because of the exact point you bring up. It starts in the calfs in the beginning, but eventually affects the entire body at this point in time.

Mace2004: I checked it out and it has the ability to do both as Schatzi stated, I'm going to at least go try some out first before I just jump into it.

Mustaine: Well it's a pleasure to meet you David. That's what I thought. They f**ing Rock! AHH dude that's awesome! My fav band is KoRn!!!! I love all kinds of metal. Yeah that's probably the best way to find out and to personaly hold them in my hand and see what's best. I'll keep that in mind when I'm looking as well. Yeah It will be better in the long run to try some out before buying one without knowing what it's like.
Thanks again everyone. Sincerely, Adam