Author Topic: CPU issue or sofware malfunction?  (Read 654 times)

Offline Wes14

• Gold Member
CPU issue or sofware malfunction?
« on: January 16, 2007, 07:48:49 AM »
lately my CPU on my pc can olny run up to 30% or it seems to just lock up/act idle,sometimes the screen just goes black and i have to unplug the pc and plug it back in

after runing for a while it idles down more due to something overheating

(it doesnt seem to do this if AH is running)

all the fans appear to be working

is the cpu about to bite the dust or is it some programming problem?
Warning! The above post may induce: nausea, confusion, headaches, explosive diarrhea, anger, vomiting, and whining. Also this post may not make any sense, or may lead to the hijack of the thread.

-Regards,
Wes14

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 08:14:19 AM »
How old a machine is it? Whens the last time you backed everything up and reformatted, reinstalled from scratch?

PC's get "clogged" up with stuff just like a drain pipe. I'm a firm believer in once a year burning saved stuff to DVD's, make sure I have all the drivers I need. Then repartition, reformat, reinstall windows & needed software. Then the games I play most often. With a bit of practice you can do it in a day. Figure a weekend for the first time.

You might just be surprised, anyway I highly doubt that its hardware, sounds more like software conflict to me, but I'm no expert.

Offline Wes14

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 08:17:29 AM »
the machine is less then a year old
Warning! The above post may induce: nausea, confusion, headaches, explosive diarrhea, anger, vomiting, and whining. Also this post may not make any sense, or may lead to the hijack of the thread.

-Regards,
Wes14

Offline Wes14

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 08:21:57 AM »
and i commenly leave my pc running all weekend to run defragment,delete unneeded apps,virus scan,and check for software updates

and i dont think Celron D processors can handle alot of workload at one time,
might get a duel core soon 2:D

-Regards,
Wes14

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 08:32:58 AM »
Do you smoke?
do you have pets?

if you answer yes to either.
When was the last time you opened the case and blew out the dust?
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Wes14

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 08:37:21 AM »
i have a pet (german shepard:D )

and i checked the inside is clean

-Regards,
Wes14

Offline CptA

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 09:20:00 AM »
It sounds alot like an overheating Motherboard component, or peripheral device rather than the CPU itself.

I would suspect that an electrolytic power capacitor has become damaged. These can fail gradually due to placement too close to a heat source, or simply due to a manufacturing defect.

On motherboards they are often mounted too near the CPU socket, or near other large heatsinked components.

Look for small cylindrical (mini Beer can) shaped devices mounted perpendicular to the circuitboard, with one end fitted flush against the circuitboard.

Obvious signs of damage or failure include bulges in the side of the can, discoloration, or leaking electrolyte.

Not much you can do if you find this except replace the motherboard or peripheral device that is failing, as most computer repair shops won't repair or replace electronic components these days.

Good Luck!

CptA

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 09:27:41 AM »
What brand of PSU do you have ?

Offline Wes14

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 09:31:28 AM »
PSU?
(please not im poorly computer oriented)

-Regards,
Wes14

Offline Wes14

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 09:42:38 AM »
Looked into that PSU=Power Supply Unit?

i know that the PSU on this pc is plenty powerfull enough

-Regards,
Wes14

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 09:56:13 AM »
My guess is that the heatsink/fan is poorly installed and the cpu overheats / throttles.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline republic

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 10:32:36 AM »
Also be sure to check the heatsink fins, even if the fan is clear, the fins can easily get clogged.
P-47 pilot

Offline Wes14

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 10:45:14 AM »
can electronics that has a big magnetic feild mess it up(even thou its a few feet away)?

-Regards,
Wes14

Offline doc1kelley

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 10:48:47 AM »
Originally posted by Wes14
i have a pet (german shepard:D )

and i checked the inside is clean

Don't let a general look see fool ya.  My mother's system fried and I came over and took it apart and inside the case was ok but inside the power supply was pet hair.  Get one of them air blasters and regularly spray into the vents of the power supply as well as all over the motherboard and really well into the small fins on the heatsink and fan.  The pet hair plugged the power supply fan on the inside.

All the Best...
Jay
awDoc1
awDoc1
The Flying Circus Rocks! We're clowns of a different color!

Beer! helping ugly folks get laid!

Offline Wes14

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 10:57:53 AM »
ill check for that bellybutton soon as i can

-Regards,
Wes14