Author Topic: Need training  (Read 533 times)

Offline GrimmTooth

• Zinc Member
Need training
« on: January 26, 2007, 07:53:20 PM »
I'm new and just started playing, I've been using an XBOX 360 remote and I have it calibrated and it's fully mapped but I don't know how to fly the Plane (Jets maybe but not planes) and I need to know how to turn and dogfight (Without blacking out of stalling) I also need to know a real good Controller map and tactics on how to dogfight, so in other words I need a ace type pilot or knight to help me learn the basics
Back-On

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Need training
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 06:04:40 AM »
Hello GrimTooth!

This is a link to the Trainer Corps Homepage. Its a huge collection of information on Setup, Gameplay and Fighting Tactics.

One of the most important things is to set up your views. Not loosing sight of your opponent in a fight is essential to be able to shoot him. After all, you cannot shoot what you cannot see.... and neither can you evade it.

Another important concept is "Energy", the WW2 prop planes dont have as much thrust as the modern Jets, so maintaining your E level by "storing" speed in form of altitude (maneuvering in the vertical)... managing your speed and altitude will also help you get a feel for stall (too slow) and blackout (too fast). Youll find a very good writeup and explanations as well as films for the maneuvers on our homepage.

Through this page you can also request training with someone from the Training staff. Or you just come online to the Training Arena and look for help there. I will be online later this evening (US afternoon).

Welcome to Aces High!
21 is only half the truth.

Offline GrimmTooth

• Zinc Member
Need training
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 09:31:40 AM »
thanks this will help a lot, Have fun flying

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Need training
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 11:44:50 AM »
I honestly don't know if an XBOX 360 remote has even half the functionality required of a joystick for this game.

Offline Fianna

• Nickel Member
Need training
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 12:17:22 PM »
It's gotta be better than a mouse, though.

Offline GrimmTooth

• Zinc Member
Need training
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 12:27:36 PM »
I got it configured now and the Y axis on this Remote sucks and it's got a harder control system, but yea, it's WAY better then a mouse, but I can't turn with the Remote...I guess ill buy a Joystick later
(Edit: fixed my errors)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 12:35:26 PM by GrimmTooth »

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Need training
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 12:44:18 PM »
If you get a Joystick, make sure it has the following:

8-way coolie hat
throttle lever
rudder (twist or rocker)
as many buttons as you can get your hands on

A good and cheap starter stick would be the Saitek 290 for around 20 USD at Walmart. Or, if you plan on staying a while and can spend a little more the X45 or X52 from Saitek. Top notch out there is CH - a full setup (stick, throttle, pedals) around 300 USD.

Whatever you get, stay away from Logitech sticks... theyve had serious quality problems.

A search in this or Software/Hardware Forum for "Joystick" will dig out a lot more detailed recommendations.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline GrimmTooth

• Zinc Member
Need training
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 12:49:02 PM »
Well damn, I shouldn't have bought that 360 a month back...Cause I'm kinda broke (5 USD short of a 20 dollar Joystick) But there cheap here in Texas, I can get one at Radio Shack for 50 USD and it's top notch

Offline GrimmTooth

• Zinc Member
Need training
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 11:54:43 PM »
Alright, can anyone take a screen of there X and Y scaling, mines no good cause the X is too slow and the Y keeps stalling

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Need training
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 10:54:09 AM »
Dang grimm I just gave away a saitek I'd have been happy to let you have too.  Whereabouts in Texas are you?
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline GrimmTooth

• Zinc Member
Need training
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 12:10:24 PM »
Well I don't know where I actually am, but I can get to Austin in a few hours.... (xD), By the way, I figured out why my remotes all screwed up, I got a Joy Max 360 controller so the X and Y analog sticks are crap...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 12:13:05 PM by GrimmTooth »