Author Topic: Submarines?  (Read 2419 times)

Offline Martyn

• Nickel Member
Submarines?
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2007, 03:40:09 AM »
HTC's idea was different. He suggested a wolf pack controlled in a similar way to a fleet. I thought that was a neat solution as subs are so slow.
Here we are, living on top of a molten ball of rock, spinning around at a 1,000mph, orbiting a nuclear fireball and whizzing through space at half-a-million miles per hour. Most of us believe in super-beings which for some reason need to be praised for setting this up. This, apparently, is normal.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
Submarines?
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2007, 08:51:24 AM »
I really enjoyed Captain Virgil Hilts' idea. It sounds very neat, although it would be time consuming trying to make it.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Submarines?
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2007, 12:43:05 PM »
Originally posted by Captain Virgil Hilts

Once the sub is forced to dive, it can't out run the group, it must outsmart it or out maneuver it. Or get really brave and try to shoot its way out with torpedos.  

I think thats the problem we all talked about...How couold we make it dive...would need major changes.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Wes14

• Gold Member
Submarines?
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2007, 05:24:34 PM »
make it use similar to aircaft controls trouttle controls power and u dives like u were diving in a airplane
Warning! The above post may induce: nausea, confusion, headaches, explosive diarrhea, anger, vomiting, and whining. Also this post may not make any sense, or may lead to the hijack of the thread.

-Regards,
Wes14

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Submarines?
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2007, 05:52:15 PM »
But the problem with this is that you would need to redo the water tiles completely...on all the maps...that alone is hard to do.

You see a CV go through the water..it has its little wake...while the water around it is still.
Plus the fact...when you dive...how would you see around you
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Wes14

• Gold Member
Submarines?
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2007, 05:56:40 PM »
parascope?
and the water tiles wont have to be changed that much just add the "sea floor" below the water tiles and have it so u cant see unless u use a parascope (can be seen by someone with a keen eye):confused:
Warning! The above post may induce: nausea, confusion, headaches, explosive diarrhea, anger, vomiting, and whining. Also this post may not make any sense, or may lead to the hijack of the thread.

-Regards,
Wes14

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Submarines?
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2007, 05:59:07 PM »
true...or ext view..just make it above water

FlyKommando.com

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
Submarines?
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2007, 06:59:43 PM »
This is the bug with the water tile.

If you have a map where there is a water tile elevated, take a PT and swim into it. You will FALL THROUGH IT. You won't go over it, through it, but you will fall through it. If a sub tried to dive on the current water tile coding we have right now it would never stop diving.
FlameThink.com

Offline Martyn

• Nickel Member
Submarines?
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2007, 03:15:10 AM »
Perhaps the diving would just be a replay of set scene - a short vignette. The sub captain would watch this from outside with little control (maybe turning) until just the periscope rmains then he can take control again.

Why does a sub need to physically 'dive' at all anyway? It could just gently change shape from 'sub on the surface' to 'decks awash' to 'periscope only'. Nothing need actually go under water, the bottom of the sub is truncated at the water's surface. Is this similar to the PT boat now?

On the other hand - that's still a chunk of programming either way .

I seem to recall that subs of the period could only cruise at 4-5 knots with the periscope up because of vibration in the mast. Max speed submerged was pretty darn slow too - 7-11 knots I think. I can't remember the details.
Here we are, living on top of a molten ball of rock, spinning around at a 1,000mph, orbiting a nuclear fireball and whizzing through space at half-a-million miles per hour. Most of us believe in super-beings which for some reason need to be praised for setting this up. This, apparently, is normal.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
Submarines?
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2007, 09:04:34 AM »
Look out, we'll have people wishing for orions after we get this one!:cool:
FlameThink.com