Author Topic: WOW, Aces High 2?!?!?  (Read 2636 times)

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
WOW, Aces High 2?!?!?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2007, 04:50:09 PM »
Originally posted by Sincraft
The big question I have is, does ANYONE here know of or personally play head to head (ip to ip) with someone on a modem?  My brother is still in the dark ages, their modem will not go higher than 28.8 and his wife refuses to let them get broadband as it is a 'waste of money'.  

He would go nuts if he could play this...
there are people who play in the main arena on dial-up it shouldnt really matter... it is not the speed of the connection that it most important, it is the stability, or packet loss that is important here.
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
WOW, Aces High 2?!?!?
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2007, 05:29:57 PM »
Originally posted by Laurie
<< also enjoying our econimies lead over dollar, AH is like 1/2 price atm :D

Hehe the dollar is cheap here too atm. That can change ofcourse and it does not matter to HTC so its a win-win.

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
WOW, Aces High 2?!?!?
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2007, 06:43:17 PM »
Most heavily populated game out there, and the Big Kahuna still comes in and says Hi to the new guys.

:aok
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline Gryphons

• Copper Member
WOW, Aces High 2?!?!?
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2007, 08:40:41 PM »
Played AH2, WOW and Warbirds on dial up for years and they all run fine, your friend should be able to play this game on a 28.8 connection.  Now the only question is do u really want to be the one responsible for your friends new found addiction?
Classic Army G36C, KWA Glock 17, Well M4, UTG M24
71 Squadron RAF
Gryphon5

Offline Sincraft

• Nickel Member
WOW, Aces High 2?!?!?
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2007, 10:11:25 PM »
hahaha good stuff.

Yes, the more I read the more I realize this may be an addictive game. :)  GREAT.  Amazing to see how many rather happy people in this game.  Even the best games have nothing but >THIS SUCKS< in the forums, and the sad part is - they are usually right!

Yes, I want to get someone I know in this game even though he is on 28.8, as he is a 'real' pilot and I figure he will know how to fly a bit.  He used to trounce me in other games so he should do well here.

Hopefully it will be a normal event for us to hook up on here and play together as it's been along time since games were playable on modem via multiplayer on the net.

*** *** *** BIG PROBLEM HOWEVER!!!! *** *** ***

I forgot, I gave my MS joystick to my father :(
Suggestions?  I have $10 worth of best buy bucks burning a whole in my pocket that would otherwise go wasted.  

Thanks and THANKS to everyone that welcomed me to the game!  See you soon!

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
WOW, Aces High 2?!?!?
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2007, 10:46:05 PM »
Saitex X-52 is the best stick I have ever owned. It isnt that expensive, I got mine on sale for $90 at Best Buy
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Sincraft

• Nickel Member
WOW, Aces High 2?!?!?
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2007, 11:34:13 PM »
well I was just in game and had issues with the mouse, then finally got it working.  Then, tried to launch but it complained that I couldn't launch that plane from that field...whatever, I tried another field...same...tried another plane..was in :)  (why would they let you select the plane from the list if you can't fly it?)

Guess I have more reading to do lol?

Then, I flew to an area that was flashing red, I figured that was a bad (or good) thing so, then I saw a ship.  Flew in closer and saw more ships.  Then when I was almost on top of them, more ships emerged.  Seems like the drawing is a bit off, wonder if I can adjust that or is that 'historically correct' for someone with vision from that estimated distance?

Anyway, I figured I'd do a fly by to check them out, then I saw puffs of black smoke, then as I was almost on top of them I saw a million little red tracers.  I straffed the sub and aircraft carrier then - I learned how to fly/hover/die with no wings :(

end of log entry for jan 31 lol.

Anyway - yea Im thinking of getting the saitex ps33 from best buy for like 40 bucks plus I have 10 off.  I dont want to buy anything expensive.  If I really get into it, I'll hand my joystick over or ebay it, then buy the better one.

I have a garage full of tools.  Some are entry level, some mid level.  I found that for how much I use them, even as a part time money makers - I use the entry level ones the most and wished I had the higher level ones but will do FINE with the entry ones as the differences say, for a cheap mitre saw goes from $89 > the much better ones which are like $500.  I can flip my trim pieces or lay flat my crown molding and adjust the angles/bevels for the extra $400 it would cost me.  

ANYWAY - just my little 'thought process' going out here..

AND - I already a subscribed member.  WHY?  Even without playing?  Mostly because of all the great reviews I am getting and friendly help via the forums.  Even if I think it SUCKS after a month, I can cancel but at least donated my money for the continuance of good gaming. :)  

As an IT person, self employed. I really enjoy positive feedback...rarely hear complaints which is nice but really enjoy the positive I get to know that I am on track.

Consider my first month me saying 'You're on track ...makers of Aces High 2!' hehe

thanks again guys...picking up my joystick tomorrow after I hit a client site near a best buy.  :)

Offline MOIL

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ltar.org
WOW, Aces High 2?!?!?
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2007, 11:48:03 PM »
Welcome aboard:aok

I,..........myself can quit aaaaaaannnnnnyyyyytime,  No, really I can;)

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
WOW, Aces High 2?!?!?
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2007, 04:07:39 AM »
Glad you came aboard sir. Watch out for those rooks guys though. There's
something wrong with them :noid
Lighten up Francis

Offline HevyHand

• Zinc Member
      • http://groups.yahoo.com/group/186thangeryinch
WOW, Aces High 2?!?!?
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2007, 04:09:28 AM »
Welcome: This game is like crack its true I am hocked help me:D

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
WOW, Aces High 2?!?!?
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2007, 06:16:39 AM »
Originally posted by Sincraft
well I was just in game and had issues with the mouse, then finally got it working.  Then, tried to launch but it complained that I couldn't launch that plane from that field...whatever, I tried another field...same...tried another plane..was in :)  (why would they let you select the plane from the list if you can't fly it?)

Mouse setup or as PDF.
As for planes not being available - where did you fly? OFFLINE arena or online? Note that there are different types of fiels. Airfields (A), Vehicle bases (V), Ports (P) with asociated task groups (C). You can get the field names by right clicking the map for options. INS and DEL zoom the map on the clipboard. Not all planes are available at all fields.
When you go to HANGAR on the clipboard, planes that are greyed out on the list are no available at the field you are currently at. Right clicking the list gives you options again, check "Enabled Only" when you do not want the greyed out planes to show.

Guess I have more reading to do lol?

Im 'fraid so, Sir. :) But dont worry... weve all been there and worn that shoe. The first few days can be very overwhelming, simply for the sheer amount of info to take in. But i give you no more then two weeks and youll find your way around allright. Youll never be done learning though.
This Quick Reference printout cheat can be very helpful to have at first. It contains the default key commands and the most common dot radio commands.
Learn how to use the chat/radio in game... that way you can always ask if you run into trouble.

Then, I flew to an area that was flashing red, I figured that was a bad (or good) thing so, then I saw a ship.  Flew in closer and saw more ships.  Then when I was almost on top of them, more ships emerged.  Seems like the drawing is a bit off, wonder if I can adjust that or is that 'historically correct' for someone with vision from that estimated distance?

Any item on the map thats flashing red is being attacked by an enemy craft that came into radar warning range (12 miles, the white radar circle on the map).
What you saw was a task group. A Carrier, a destroyer and a handful of support ships. They are like "mobile airfields" and can be directed to attack bases etc. How early (ie distance) you see them largely depends on your graphics detail settings (details and range). You can also change the vision range during play - SHIFT_F1 (full) through SHIFT_F3 (short) and SHIFT_F4 (Ground Vision range) for short range but high detail.

Anyway, I figured I'd do a fly by to check them out, then I saw puffs of black smoke, then as I was almost on top of them I saw a million little red tracers.  I straffed the sub and aircraft carrier then - I learned how to fly/hover/die with no wings :(

The puffs of black smoke is the 88mm puffy ack... explosives with a proximity fuse, shot by automated ack guns. The same goes for the red tracers... thats also automated guns (lower caliber). Some of the ack guns can also be manned... they are listed as "Gun ship or field" in the HANGAR list.

end of log entry for jan 31 lol.

Sounds like you had fun to me :)

Anyway - yea Im thinking of getting the saitex ps33 from best buy for like 40 bucks plus I have 10 off.  I dont want to buy anything expensive.  If I really get into it, I'll hand my joystick over or ebay it, then buy the better one.

I have a garage full of tools.  Some are entry level, some mid level.  I found that for how much I use them, even as a part time money makers - I use the entry level ones the most and wished I had the higher level ones but will do FINE with the entry ones as the differences say, for a cheap mitre saw goes from $89 > the much better ones which are like $500.  I can flip my trim pieces or lay flat my crown molding and adjust the angles/bevels for the extra $400 it would cost me.  

ANYWAY - just my little 'thought process' going out here..

AND - I already a subscribed member.  WHY?  Even without playing?  Mostly because of all the great reviews I am getting and friendly help via the forums.  Even if I think it SUCKS after a month, I can cancel but at least donated my money for the continuance of good gaming. :)  

As an IT person, self employed. I really enjoy positive feedback...rarely hear complaints which is nice but really enjoy the positive I get to know that I am on track.

Consider my first month me saying 'You're on track ...makers of Aces High 2!' hehe

thanks again guys...picking up my joystick tomorrow after I hit a client site near a best buy.  :)

I will be online in the Training Arena on Saturday afternoon/evening if you have any questions about setup, gameplay, flying and fighting tactics - youre very welcome to look me up there. When you go online, just choose "Training Arena" on the arena selection screen. Make yourself known on chat.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 06:20:49 AM by Schatzi »
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
WOW, Aces High 2?!?!?
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2007, 08:34:29 AM »
Sin  The game is way more than just flying.  

To be able to understand the gameplay fully and find where the best fights are and the ability to read the map are skills that will take many months to pick up.

If the planes in the hangar appear red it means the enemy have blown up that particular fields fighter hangars.  They stay down for 15minutes each and there are varying amounts of these hangars depending on the size of the field.

Goto the training arena and find someone like schatzi who can answer many of your questions on the game.

Otherwise your enjoyment maybe limited.  If you get vulched and killed everywhere you go the enjoyment may dwindle.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
Welcome aboard
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2007, 09:59:44 AM »
Wish this game wasnt as addictive as it is, but it is true there are alot more aspects to this then flying. At least for me there are. To me the overall complexity feeds my need, and I love stratagy. I cant fly that great, but Im definitly getting better, and I started about 8 months ago. The biggest turn on for me is base capturing. And co-ordinated strikes time perfectly. As a matter of fact one of the best raids was yesterday by the rooks, on A44 in Orange with lancs and 110's, Nicely timed execution, and brillantly done. Ofcourse I was on the recieving end of it, but i was sweet. KUDO's to planners for that one. Anyway theres enough here to keep you learning, and I would recommend you try out all the aspects of the game, including the firing of ship weapons, and shore batteries. Then hone in on what appeals to ya. I fell in love with the B-26. Really dig the Mossy also. Theres also other aspects too, like the dreaded resupplying runs, that few take, but must be done. Also check out the different squads around. I would recommend not to jump into one for at least a month, or more untill you figure what appeals to ya, but If you ever need some help bombing, Im on Vox 144 on the knights. Anyone one of the squaddies can show u the ropes if im not aorund. Which is very rare ( I have no life).

Cheers M8,
C U all my sights sometime
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline Erkel

• Copper Member
WOW, Aces High 2?!?!?
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2007, 04:08:38 PM »
Right there with you Sincraft.  I've been a cronic gamer for 15 years .  When I've gotten to the point where swords and rifles don't do it for me anymore, flight sims have all the necessary ingredients for that constant adrenalin rush.

I too recently rediscovered Aces High from the TV ads.  Best content of any combat flight sim I've played and the most populated online.  Having an active forum like this is just another plus.

What if the Hokey Pokey's REALLY what it's all about...

Offline Sincraft

• Nickel Member
1st kill on 1st flight!!!
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2007, 04:37:30 PM »
Whew.  What a rush :)  Even for these graphics I was pretty happy hehe.

I picked up my joystick after a long day of work, then came home - dropped my stuff near the door and unpacked the joystick.  It is the ps33 from saitek.  Kinda- hard on my hands as I dont know why but these joysticks have sticks sitting 40 feet off of their base.  It also came with flight sim x demo :)  !

Ok so I figure I'll plug it in and see what windoze says.  Finds it, completely and ready to go.  Ok so I figure I will go test it in game.

I get in and just hit NW for that end of the field and was taking off on the LATE GAME BLUE SERVER (whatever that means), flying a p51.

So I follow the map a few 'towns' down where I see lotsa little green and red dots, and something else going on .

Finally I get there and THERE IS ACTION.  I see 5 , no wait, 10 no wait...ok about 10 planes in the air in different locations but generally around that area.

As of course , being the chicken I was the highest up - I just sat there picking up on RED guys and tried my hand at dropping in on them.  I missed my first one completely.  Climbed with a full spin to clear my tail then a gentle turn to follow his progress.  I then dropped on him again and started shooting then a guy named Merlin came in and got him, although I know I got hits on him...at least I think I did.

Then, I fly away toward the land a bit where there was more action - I guess the rooks (which I was) were vulching an airfield.  So, I flew around a bit more and saw two planes following a guy that was saying on the radio about  getting these two off of him.  I dropped in, cut back the throttle and sprayed the first one.  I SAW EXPLOSIONS and all sorts of stuff, but no BIGGIE explosions or anything that would down the plane...I guess...I looked back and didnt see him so I put my nose down again and followed the second plane chasing this guy.  I sprayed him up and down, near the wing roots and on his canopy.  I finally was going to blow past him and pushed down shooting at him then saw a boom and then BAM I heard something hit my plane???

I then noticed my plane was very hard to steer, I checked my right wing and I was missing the whole damn thing up to the flaps!??

Somehow, I managed to get her home, land safely AND order pizza while steering with my chin while dialing.

I'm going to have to read more about this game and learn how to use all the commands and voice chat thing.  Sounds very cool, some people you can barely hear though.  

Anyway - very NICE pre-dinner flight for the logs today.  I have to get another kill before nights end :)  I think I was just lucky enough to find a decent mix of enemies vs friendlies.

:)