Author Topic: Tried out some Joysticks!  (Read 331 times)

Offline KrYp

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.muscularstangracing.com
Tried out some Joysticks!
« on: February 02, 2007, 02:02:50 PM »
Well I was finally able to go out and try some joysticks. I went to Best Buy, they only had 3 though. Was hoping they would have had a little bit more of a selection but I was able to actually able to hold them in my hand and get an idea what i'm looking for. They had a Saitek Aviator Joystick, tried this one first and found it to a little to stiff to my liking. Wasn't that smooth, you really had to physicaly man handle it. Now remember this is due to my physical condidtion so to normal pyhsical able people don't just not by a type just because of me because or situations are different. I also didn't like the fact it didn't have a hand rest and I found it diffcult keep my hand where it needed to be. So this one is out. Next I tried some logitech I think, from the beginning of seeing it I hated it right off the bat. Same thing it was diffcult to move, again had to physicaly man handle it to move it, not to mention it was butt ugly lol. Saved the best for last. They had a Saitek X52, wow I was impressed. Like butter to hold in my hand, moved so free and easy, smooth, loved the hand rest, found it a little diffcult to get to the buttons on top but bareable to use, i think my hand is a little to small for it lol. The most part I could see buying it or another like it. Does anyone have a good comparison of the Saitek X52 and the Thurstmaster Afterburner II??? It would have been nice if they had a thurstmaster. Worse case is I can't get any more info on the the Thurstmaster and just fork over the extra money for the X52. lol I just realized I didn't even try the throttle out at all. That could be a key as well, I wouldn't want to get it and not be able to use the throttle. lol I just realized as well I didn't even attempt to "twist" the stick either, geez I guess I did a crapy job trying out these sticks lol. I've got more work to do on looking I guess, it was a start and I was happy with what I learned. Thanks again to everyone who helped me out on my last post. Adam

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 02:22:52 PM »
I've never tried the Thrustmaster so can't help you but AFAIK, the X-52 has the softest springs out there.  Also remember it has an adjustible handrest.  You should try raising it up and that might help you reach the upper buttons.  When you try the throttle, look on the left side of the base.  There's a thumb screw that you can loosen to make it easier to move the throttle if it's stiff.  There are some controls on the front of the throttle that you might have trouble reaching at full throttle but the most important ones are on the side and can easily be operated with the thumb.  The stick "twist" is fairly firm.  Not real stiff but something you definently want to try out.  It's pretty easy to twist left, a bit harder to go right because of the way you hold the stick.

I'd also recommend you check on line before purchasing a stick from Best Buy.  I've seen prices as low at $95 on line, should be much better than Best Buy's price.

Mace
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 02:29:20 PM »
I cann't help with the stick comparisons but it's worth remembering that a number of people find holding some sticks for a long period a bit uncomfortable. I have seen many use home made rests immediately in front of the controls so that the forearm or wrist gets more support. Also remember the deadband and damping settings you can use in AH. Basically use all you can if it helps get as comfortable as possible with whatever you chose.

Be fussy and re-visit to check out the sticks and do your best to find a place to try any others that interest you. In the end you are going to be using the gear for hours on end sometimes in one session! - You need to be as sure as possible what you get will work for you.

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 02:41:51 PM »
I also have a hand problem (actually, it's mostly fixed after surgury), and I could not use the twist on the X-52.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 06:04:49 PM »
I've got an old Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro.  Even though it has a throttle slider I have my throttle mapped to my mouse wheel so thats always an option too.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.