Author Topic: The Hartmann Escape  (Read 1285 times)

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
The Hartmann Escape
« on: February 06, 2007, 11:01:49 AM »
I was wondering if someone could provide a link for a detailed description of this maneuver.
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
The Hartmann Escape
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 11:26:48 AM »
Wasn't it just a negative gee split-S, performed simply by shoving the stick forward and gritting the teeth really hard?

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
The Hartmann Escape
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 11:38:50 AM »
What google found.
Hartmann Escape

The goal of this maneuver is to get the attacker to take a guns pass which he needs to lead you by placing your aircraft under his nose temporarily thus put you out of his sight. During this small out of sight window you have the opportunity to escape while he cant see you by entering a shallow dive in a direction of choice.

Description:

The attacker should be somewhat faster than you on his attack run. As he gets close, just out of guns range (d6 to d10 depending on his rate of closure), make a gentile roll to the right or left and start what looks like a break turn (Sick starts his maneuver by adding a fake to one side first then a low E break turn in the other direction). Continue your low E break turn until he rolls and pulls to lead you for his shot. If you have timed it right, he must put you under his nose and out of sight for a second to lead you enough to get his guns on you. He believes you will continue your break and reappear in his gunsight at about d1-3. You don't! As you disappear from his sight you push the nose over, pushing some negative G's and enter a shallow dive in slightly a different direction. Continue this shallow dive to gain your needed horizontal separation. Your attacker usually continues to pull lead in anticipation of you popping out in front of him in his sights. After a while he realizes that you are not where he thinks you are.

Its actually quite a riot watching your attacker continue to pull when your not there. I usually chuckle as I watch him rolling and turning. I know he's saying "Where did he go?" Meanwhile you are long gone.

Bronk

Edit: Not my description. Was found by google. Fixed with quotes.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 11:57:12 AM by Bronk »
See Rule #4

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
The Hartmann Escape
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 11:48:32 AM »
Oh!  I've never done it, but it's happened to me lots of times.  I hate it when they do that.  And you say you chuckle as you do it?  Argh!

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
The Hartmann Escape
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 11:53:14 AM »
essentially the manouver is just diving away and running when you know youve lost ;)
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
The Hartmann Escape
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 12:00:34 PM »
Ah, thank you.

I did try google first but my search yeilded nothing. :(

It is 5am, so perhaps that's why.

Thanks again.
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
The Hartmann Escape
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 12:02:52 PM »
Theres also a more violent maneuver he often used, referred to "pushing it into the corner".

Push the stick hard to front and side (front left or right corner) while kicking rudder in the same direction. IRL this would slam your head onto the top of the canopy from negative G, but the attacker would have to maneuver much more violently to keep you in his sights, either inducing blackout (if he rolls) or redout (if he pushes over) and giving you a few seconds to evade and set up your next move. And you are below his nose and out of danger if he doesn't follow.

I usually follow the pushover with a less violent pullout in the opposite direction (still going down) then continue into a high chandelle. If he followed you into the dive, you have a good chance of using the few seconds it gives you to get above and behind him, if not he'll have to pull violently to follow your turning dive and zoom, he'll probably blow a lot of E in the attempt.

Also quite effective if you have a good wingman on the perch.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
The Hartmann Escape
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 01:16:43 PM »
Seems like the googled maneuver could be easily countered with a high yoyo.... before getting sucked into pulling lead.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline squealer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
The Hartmann Escape
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 02:17:38 PM »
Originally posted by Benny Moore
Wasn't it just a negative gee split-S, performed simply by shoving the stick forward and gritting the teeth really hard?

You forgot the the clenching of the butt cheeks...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 02:51:26 PM by squealer »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
The Hartmann Escape
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 02:23:35 PM »
I use marbles.... I know.. I don't have many left. They are supposed to come and get me in the padded wagon and we are going to toy-r-us for a resupply. :rolleyes:  Until then I am confined to my 38 cockpit....
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)