Author Topic: Firefox2  (Read 972 times)

Offline Wizer

• Nickel Member
Firefox2
« on: February 07, 2007, 07:47:01 AM »
Is anyone in the community using Firefox or Firefox2?   If so, can you tell me if it is better than Windows XP?  Have you had any problems with it, especially when in Aces High?  Would you recommend using it?  Thanks for any input.   Oh one final question   Do you know why it is being offered as a free download?

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Firefox2
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 07:57:13 AM »
I've used firefox for years, and love it. However, I'm not aware of firefox making an operating system (like windowsXP) -- it's an internet browser.

It's free because it's "open source," developed essentially by volunteers who wanted an alternative to Explorer.

Advantages --

It's reputed to have better security, since it's more tightly programmed, and since its smaller user base makes it a less lucrative target for hackers.

it's smaller, lighter, and much more flexible. There are a wide varieties of "skins" you can download to customize the appearance, and there are individual "extensions" that add features you like. That's a big difference from explorer, which tries to do everything for everyone. For example, I use ectensions that link to the national weather service and put the temp and forecast on the browser bar; I use a script blocking extension that lets me choose when a site gets to run scripts at all; I use a translation extension; and I use a search function extension that lets me use the same search box for everything from dictionary searches to Wiki searches and plain old google ones.

Disadvantages --

There are some pages that dont work quite right when opened by Firefox.

They also make a Outlook competitor (also for free) called Thunderbird. Used it for years too.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
Firefox2
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 08:39:59 AM »
Firefox Rules as a browser .
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Firefox2
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 09:45:58 AM »
One page of note that doesn't fully function in Firefox is the extended scores page here.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Firefox2
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 10:07:31 AM »
Scores work for me, that's odd.  

Firefox is far better than IE, but as said before, it's not an OS so it doesn't affect AH one way or another.  Well, actually, let me modify that comment.  It avoids the trash that IE allows on your computer which would make AH perform better :)
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
Firefox2
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 10:20:28 AM »
Originally posted by ROC
Scores work for me, that's odd.  

Thats cause you have No score ......   (Botta bing) :D
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
Firefox2
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 10:23:07 AM »
scores page never worked for me
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
Firefox2
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 10:29:25 AM »
Originally posted by Saxman
One page of note that doesn't fully function in Firefox is the extended scores page here.

It's never worked in anything other than Internet Exploder for me, and I refuse to use IE outside of work where our app requires it.  IE7 uses the new interface they designed for Office 2k7 that I detest.
//c coad  c coad run  run coad run
main (){char _[]={"S~||(iuv{nkx%K9Y$hzhhd\x0c"},__
,___=1;for(__=___>>___;__<((___<<___<<___<<___<<___
)+(___<<___<<___<<___)-___);__+=___)putchar((_[__
])+(__/((___<<___)+___))-((___&

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Firefox2
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 12:23:42 PM »
Web designer time....

FireFox is my browser of choice. It is far superior to IE in many ways, mainly because it is open source. It loads pages quicker and displays code properly (and by that I mean it complies to the W3's web standards more fully than IE).

IE carries bugs. There are cookie bugs and CSS bugs and when designing web pages it is a pain in the bellybutton as you HAVE to dumb down your code to have IE display it correctly.

The problem (I think) with the scores page is that it uses the CSS rule;
position:absolute;
and then positions the table absolutely through pixel placing. Unfortunately,  while IE doesn't mind too much if you specify what denomination you are using or not (automatically defaulting to pixel when % isn't used), FF demands specifics and so the pixel placement on the page should be changed from;
left:150; top:1022.8
to
left:150px; top:1022.8px

Which will allow all browsers to display the page correctly.

Hopefully Scuzzy will see this post.
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films
I'm the "timid" "runner" in the zeke "BnZing" you.

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
Firefox2
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 02:23:21 PM »
IE is for chumps!!!

Firefox rocks!!!

Their OS is the bomb!!!  LOLH

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
Firefox2
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 02:33:24 PM »
Originally posted by TinmanX
Web designer time....

FireFox is my browser of choice. It is far superior to IE in many ways, mainly because it is open source. It loads pages quicker and displays code properly (and by that I mean it complies to the W3's web standards more fully than IE).

I actually stopped coding for IE when I found out they STILL (as of v6) did not render alpha transparencies properly with pngs.  Rather than include the lines of kludge to remedy this, put in double CSS entries (make sure the ones that confuse IE go last so the real browsers work right), etc I just add a browser check and put the Firefox link up for those who don't have it yet.

...along with a notice that if you insist on viewing my web sites in IE they won't work right...
//c coad  c coad run  run coad run
main (){char _[]={"S~||(iuv{nkx%K9Y$hzhhd\x0c"},__
,___=1;for(__=___>>___;__<((___<<___<<___<<___<<___
)+(___<<___<<___<<___)-___);__+=___)putchar((_[__
])+(__/((___<<___)+___))-((___&

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Firefox2
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 02:38:43 PM »
Firefox 2, Thunderbird :aok wouldnt use anything else.
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Dadano

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 06:46:25 PM »
Tin check your PM's
Dano
Army of Muppets

"Furballing is a disease, and we are the cure... Oink."
-Twitchy

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Firefox2
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 06:49:13 PM »
Thats cause you have No score ...... (Botta bing)

Ya, lol, I haven't logged into the MA this tour, might have pulled off 5 or 6 flights last tour :rolleyes:

Gotta love those FSO and Snapshots :D
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
Firefox2
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 06:51:44 PM »
Yea im lucky to have 2 hours so far (The "Car" ) is still hoggin up my late nites.
Roscoroo ,