Author Topic: Firefox2  (Read 971 times)

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Firefox2
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2007, 07:36:01 PM »
Originally posted by Puck
I actually stopped coding for IE when I found out they STILL (as of v6) did not render alpha transparencies properly with pngs.  Rather than include the lines of kludge to remedy this, put in double CSS entries (make sure the ones that confuse IE go last so the real browsers work right), etc I just add a browser check and put the Firefox link up for those who don't have it yet.

...along with a notice that if you insist on viewing my web sites in IE they won't work right...

I'm pretty sure IE7 supports alpha transparencies in PNG files, which is nice, they're only 9 years behind every other browser on the market!

Now, to wait for 3/4 of the known world to upgrade to IE7 or dump IE like sensible people and use FF and give us coders a break.
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films
I'm the "timid" "runner" in the zeke "BnZing" you.

Offline NCLawman

• Nickel Member
Firefox2
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2007, 08:15:30 AM »
<---- Firefox and Thunderbird Rules.   Been using them since recommended by a friend in 2004.  Switched and never looked back.  Love they way they work, and look (and ability to switch skins to change the look).

Although, like others have said a few of the pages I go to, must be done using the IE plug-in for Firefox.

I think the open source code for the OS that is of the same minded people as Mozilla's Firefox is Ubuntu.  I actually got a copy of that and experimented with it some, I never could get the kernel set up right and abandoned efforts with it after a few weeks.  Back to Windows XP for me. :eek:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 08:18:25 AM by NCLawman »
Jeff / NCLawMan (in-game)

Those who contribute the least to society, expect the most from it.

Light travels faster than sound.  This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline CHECKERS

• Silver Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/1502/index.html
Firefox2
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2007, 08:54:57 AM »
Firefox is great !
Originally posted by Panman
God the BK's are some some ugly mo-fo's. Please no more pictures, I'm going blind Bet your mothers don't even love ya cause u'all sooooooooo F******* ulgy.

Offline wooley

• Copper Member
Firefox2
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2007, 10:37:21 AM »
Originally posted by Puck
IE7 uses the new interface they designed for Office 2k7 that I detest.

I'm not sure I fully agree with you there Puck - IE7 uses the 'Vista' style interface that's also used in - for example - Media Player 11. The big thing about this is that the menu bar is not shown by default and that is confusing a lot of people. Office 2007 (or at least Word and Excel) go a stage further and introduce the ribbon interface. This is essentially a set of expanded command bars that change to display appropriate controls depending on what task you are performing within the application. The idea is that you should have nice big obvious buttons for all the things you are likely to want to do at any given time, rather than the command be buried 6 deep in menus.

For me this works extremely well and is the one truly innovative feature MS has introduced with the recent round of releases. The other great thing is the WMP11 / Urge combination. Not exactly innovative, but it dumps all over iTunes.

Getting back to the original post, for the end user, Firefox 2 is still preferable to IE7, but there's not as great a difference as there was with IE6 and Firefox 1. I'm using both pretty much interchangeably at the moment.

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
Firefox2
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2007, 11:48:52 AM »
Opera browser all the way.

Does what firefox does but better, plus functions and customization.

Offline Kuhn

• Silver Member
      • Canvasman
I am a computer dummy
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2007, 11:57:56 AM »
Seeing all this talk about firefox makes me wonder if i shouldn't try it myself. Then I see a refernce to Opera. Dont know quite which one I should try. IE is very slow at my business, 53kbs max, unless i want to pay more for 256k. Will either one of these browsers mentioned help my slow connection.
325th Checkertails

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Firefox2
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2007, 12:55:31 PM »
Originally posted by TinmanX
Web designer time....

FireFox is my browser of choice. It is far superior to IE in many ways, mainly because it is open source. It loads pages quicker and displays code properly (and by that I mean it complies to the W3's web standards more fully than IE).

IE carries bugs. There are cookie bugs and CSS bugs and when designing web pages it is a pain in the bellybutton as you HAVE to dumb down your code to have IE display it correctly.

The problem (I think) with the scores page is that it uses the CSS rule;
position:absolute;
and then positions the table absolutely through pixel placing. Unfortunately,  while IE doesn't mind too much if you specify what denomination you are using or not (automatically defaulting to pixel when % isn't used), FF demands specifics and so the pixel placement on the page should be changed from;
left:150; top:1022.8
to
left:150px; top:1022.8px

Which will allow all browsers to display the page correctly.

Hopefully Scuzzy will see this post.
There are some legacy CSS statements which use the 'position absolute' tag in the WEB page, but all the variables always declare 'px' when that is what is needed.  I just varified that.  All those position statements will be going away.

The ranks pages suffered from the use of the DIV tag for the sorts.  FF will not allow dynamically enabling and disabling those tags, so you could not get the column sorts.  Perfectly legal code, according to the W3C.  Just does not work in FF.

All borwsers have some kind of oddity with them.  The easiest way I know to avoid those oddities is to apply the KISS principle when doing HTML code.

Oh, I just put up new rank and scores pages today.  I have not gotten the stats pages finished yet.  If you spot any oddities with the new pages, please post them in the game bug forum.

Oh, and personally, I had far too many problems with FF to use it.  The biggest issue I had was the constant crashing in the Sun Java stuff.  Not really realted to FF so much, but I believe the Sun Java stuff is the only game in town for Java under FF.
The worst of those problems were, I had to re-install the OS to get IE working again.  So, it will be a cold day in heck before I try that browser again. People like to point thier fingers at MS about thow they force a browser down your throat.  Try removing Sun Java and revert back to the original java.  It ain't pretty.

As long as a browser does most of the standard stuff (none of the them do it all) in HTML 4.0, then I am ok with it.  I dunt have issues with IE (but I do not use the standard configurations MS provides either).  Topo many sites out there depend on the proprietary garbage IE has in it.  I find this particularly true of banking institutions.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 01:12:03 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline wooley

• Copper Member
Re: I am a computer dummy
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2007, 01:00:31 PM »
Originally posted by Kuhn
IE is very slow at my business, 53kbs max, unless i want to pay more for 256k. Will either one of these browsers mentioned help my slow connection.

No.

Your connection speed has nothing (or very very little) to do with the browser you are using.

Are you using dial-up? If so, 53kbs is as much as you will ever get. You'll need broadband to go faster (although 256k can hardly be considered broadband these days). My cell phone has a faster data rate than that.

Wooley.

Offline palef

• Gold Member
Firefox2
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2007, 01:35:56 PM »
Install IETab for Firefox and you can open the scores page in an Tab.
Retired

Offline Kuhn

• Silver Member
      • Canvasman
Re: Re: I am a computer dummy
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2007, 01:39:35 PM »
Originally posted by wooley
No.

Your connection speed has nothing (or very very little) to do with the browser you are using.

Are you using dial-up? If so, 53kbs is as much as you will ever get. You'll need broadband to go faster (although 256k can hardly be considered broadband these days). My cell phone has a faster data rate than that.

Wooley.

Yes I have dial up. Only at my business. I have broadband at home, Thank god, some times I have to go do something else while downloading. The little town where I work charges Business rates of $40.00 per month for 256k and $80.00 for 1 meg. Quite ridiculous if you ask me.
325th Checkertails

Offline wooley

• Copper Member
Re: Re: Re: I am a computer dummy
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2007, 06:35:57 PM »
Originally posted by Kuhn
The little town where I work charges Business rates of $40.00 per month for 256k and $80.00 for 1 meg. Quite ridiculous if you ask me.

That is absolute robbery.