Author Topic: The man who saved my son  (Read 1704 times)

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
The man who saved my son
« on: February 09, 2007, 01:45:00 PM »
I posted earlier in the week about the soldier that got to my son Thomas, and stopped the bleeding.  His name is SSGT Ramon Dias. Come to find out he is from the same county we live in. I want to give you an example of the type of young men we have in this country. SSGT Dias's mother called last night. She identified herself and told me her son was a good friend of Thomas and was very worried about him. She stated her son had not gotten an update on Thomas's condition and was very worried about him.

She had no idea nor did I at this point that it was her son that saved my son. She told me , that Ramon words to her were....

"Mom, Thomas has gotten me out of a couple of tough spots, in fact if it wasn't for Thomas I might not be talking to you right now."

I assured his mother that they were all taking care of each other over there, and to tell her son next time she spoke to him that Thomas was doing well and would pull through. I also told her that an unknown soldier had actually saved Thomas's life Monday.

Thirty minutes later I get another call from SSGT Dias's wife. She had no idea her mother in law had called and said she had just gotten off the phone with her husband in Baghdad. He was very worried about Thomas. She stated that he was feeling guilty because he wasn't sure he got the bleeding stopped in time! So come to find out it was SSGT Dias who saved my sons life. He never told his mother, he didn't even tell his wife. He just expressed his remorse that he didn't do enough. Thomas has never spoken of whatever he's done to save SSGT Ramon. So we've got two families that owe a lot to each other. I just thank God they've been there for each other when it counted.

This  whole story has gotten me pretty emotional. SSGT Ramons wife sent me a picture of their their group taken at Christams in Baghdad. I want to share with you guys.
 Thomas is in the front row center kneeling to his left standing next to him is SSGT Dias.

In about two hours we are leaving for Brooks Army Medical Center. Thanks for all the support this week folks. I'll update you as soon as I'm back

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
The man who saved my son
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 01:53:14 PM »
such bravery should not be overlooked from both these soldiers.

thanks for the news shifty.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline DREDger

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
The man who saved my son
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 02:08:31 PM »
Wow, what a story....all my best Shifty, to you and yours.

Offline gusman

• Nickel Member
The man who saved my son
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 02:20:16 PM »
Shifty,

Words cannot express my feelings. Their Bravery is unreal!

God Bless you and your family.

gusman44

Lt Cdr gus
801 Squadron FAA
Squadron XO

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
The man who saved my son
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 02:30:59 PM »
Two outstanding individuals.

Thank the Good Lord we have them both.  Thomas and SSgt Dias.

Hope all stay safe while serving our Country.

There are many many more like them I am sure in our Armed Services.

I do hope this ends soon.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
The man who saved my son
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 02:36:00 PM »
Amen to that Hajo.  

It's amazing what we ask of our kids isn't it?

Was good talking to you Shifty.  All the best to Thomas and your family.  I get the impression that Thomas is a lot like his Dad.  Funny how that works :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Online BigR

• Silver Member
The man who saved my son
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 02:59:12 PM »
Shifty, that’s a great story bud. I am so proud of our armed forces. They are constantly put in impossible situations and always seem to pull through. The attitude and commitment that all these guys and gals show is amazing. Now if only their government was a little like them. I have many friends serving in Iraq. The armed forces are full of people like SSGT Dias and your son. I would like to see them all home safe…and soon!  I’m pulling for your son and your whole family. I won’t forget his sacrifice.

Offline NAVCAD

• Zinc Member
The man who saved my son
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 03:20:31 PM »
Shifty,

Both my wife and I work at the pentagon, She works for LTGEN Speaks (G8) and I work for the helicopter requirements section of the Navy.  Every Month the Pentagon brings a group of soldiers from Walter Reed through the Pentagon and allows us to show our appreciation.

Please let us know if Thomas gets the chance to do this.  My wife and I would be deeply Honored to thank your son and show our appreciation.   Please extend to your son and to all of the other service men and women that you'll see ther that our prayers and our thanks are with them.

God bless to you and your family.

NAVCAD

storch

The man who saved my son
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 03:21:31 PM »
shifty.  I'm glad your boy is recovering.  all the best.

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
The man who saved my son
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 03:28:15 PM »
I am so glad he is recovering. My best to him and the families. You will all be in my prayers!
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
The man who saved my son
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 03:29:01 PM »
Sounds like your Christmas shopping list just got a little bit longer there my friend. I see a BBQ in your future when all those guys get home together seeing as how they live pretty close to you and all.

I hope your boys are doing well and that Thomas has a speedy recovery. Give him my best from a former Army Artilleryman from the first gulf war.
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
The man who saved my son
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2007, 03:44:25 PM »
God bless em!  

Best Wishes to both familys.

~AoM~

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
The man who saved my son
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007, 03:55:53 PM »
I'm moved to tears by the story.  God bless them all indeed!!!

Tango, XO
412th FS Braunco Mustangs
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: The man who saved my son
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2007, 04:18:39 PM »
Originally posted by Shifty
This  whole story has gotten me pretty emotional.  

Imagine that.  Us, too.  Hang in there, and try your best to let your son know how much we all are behind him, and appreciate his sacrifice.

- oldman

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
The man who saved my son
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2007, 04:39:09 PM »
I only wish the best for both your son and his friend and all who serve over there for that matter.  Some of us will never know that type of brotherhood, the brotherhood of Heroes!  As in many battles that have come and gone and still to be fought, humans hear of this type of valor.  I would like your son to know how much his sacrafice is appreciated to me and my family!  Godspeed recovery for your son and the return of his friend!
<> Mark

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"