Author Topic: Will there ever be another reset?  (Read 420 times)

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
Will there ever be another reset?
« on: February 10, 2007, 01:39:37 PM »
I don't know...Seeing how whenever one is in sight, EVERYONE switches sides and rook ENY is 20+, and nothing happens.  Well something happens.  We end up losing fields.

Can't stand this eny.
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 01:53:11 PM »
EVERYONE switches sides

Hey wait, switching sides is supposed to FIX the ENY.  There are countless threads that state people like me who don't switch sides are the cause of the ENY problem.

Do you remember what the game was like before ENY?  Seems to me there was no problems with getting to fly what you wanted (except perk planes) and that perk points were being used to limit rides.

So, I say do away with ENY and go back to the old way.  

I'll step aside and let myself be flamed now.

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 02:01:31 PM »
Hitech.  Would it be possible to make a rule where if a country is on the verge of reset....(owns 100% of their own fields, and at least 20% of other country's fields), switching to that country becomes un-enabled?

Something has to be done, and its not ENY.  Make a cut off, and stop the switching all together when that mark has been reached.  It will be far more effective than ENY.
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 02:34:23 PM »
Ah, the ever-loving quest for perk points by association!

You've got EW and MW small numbers and individuals farming for perks on uncontested fields and bases.  10 to 30 pilots and 350 player caps.

You've got one country or another with massive numbers in one LW arena or another --- da "horde".

You've got mass migrations when 1 side get's close to a reset, as these riders-of-coat-tails attempt to get a few meager additional perks from the reset, or by riding the horde swell to "victory" --- and thus throwing ENY up hard.

You've got a deserted AvA arena, and SEA events that are hit or miss for participation.  Cooperative play in the war arenas also very hit and miss.

It can get real frustrating.  I look forward to KOTH and Snapshots more than anything these days.  

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 02:45:13 PM »
Originally posted by tedrbr
You've got mass migrations when 1 side get's close to a reset, as these riders-of-coat-tails attempt to get a few meager additional perks from the reset

The funny thing is: they don't get the reset points.
They even get much less perks from combat, for they have a hard time finding enemies and the perk bonus is hiding in the basement ;)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 02:53:54 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Major Biggles

• Gold Member
      • 71 Squadron Website
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 02:51:34 PM »
funny thing is that i made over 50 perks (two resets worth!) in one sortie by killing a few ponies nikis and spit16s in my spit1 the other day. why some of these guys think winnign the war is a good way to earn perks is beyond me...

71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Member DFC

Offline Virage

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 02:59:57 PM »
You should never be able to switch to a team with the highest numbers.

click.... " That team has too many players, please select another team."

or if you don't like the 'never' part, kick in the limiter once the numbers reach a certain threshold.
JG11

Vater

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 03:01:24 PM »
Originally posted by Major Biggles
funny thing is that i made over 50 perks (two resets worth!) in one sortie by killing a few ponies nikis and spit16s in my spit1 the other day. why some of these guys think winnign the war is a good way to earn perks is beyond me...

I regularily get 10-15 perks getting a couple of kills and DYING in my Spit V.  Wonder what it would be like if I landed someday.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 03:02:12 PM »
Originally posted by Lusche
The funny thing is: they don't get the reset points.
They even get much less perks from combat, for they have a hard time finding enemies and the perk bonus is hiding in the basement ;)

Yes, but the clueless noobs keep doing it anyway!  Never meant to say it "works".  They see a winning side, and they all migrate over.  

Guess I'll start migrating to underdog.  Good perk bonus, no ENY, cheap perk rides.

Online rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2007, 03:37:37 PM »
Maybe there should be no perks for winning the war?

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007, 03:46:59 PM »
Rabbit...I think people would still switch.  There needs to be a # that kicks in when X amount of bodys or X amount of Land is controlled by one country, where side switching to that country becomes disabled
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

Online rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007, 03:52:42 PM »
I don't disagree..  what I don't get is why folks want to be on a hugely dominant side.  It kills the fights and eny kills perks and choices for rides.  Heck, If I get on and the perk mult is less than 1 and I don't have anyone to fly with I look elsewhere.  I don't disagree with a side switching limiter based on numbers but there are a few who would.

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2007, 04:12:40 PM »
Originally posted by rabbidrabbit
I don't disagree..  what I don't get is why folks want to be on a hugely dominant side.  

All about feeling good about themselves.  Positive Reinforcement.  Pack mentality.  Mob mentality.  Enabling them to feel dominant.  

Not looking a for a challenge.  Not looking for a fair fight.  Same mentality that gives you kill stealers.  Those that live to vulch (sure it's fun, but not all the time).  "Alt Monkeys" who only come down to "cherry pick" (chasing the score and name in lights above all).  Spawn campers.  

It's an online game.  This kind of attitude and actions are prevalent.  Most everyone has displayed the above at one time or another to greater or lesser degrees.  Human nature.

The problem here is the way those common attributes tend to effect the arenas like ENY and the numbers per side.  No enforced leveling of numbers.  
This is partially necessary to keep squad mates together, but there are many pilots that are unaffiliated.

Probably too late to change the game mehcanics, but something along the auto leveling systems found in games like Battlefield2.   Members of squads choose the side in an arena.  Unaffiliated players may find themselves switching teams when one side grows too large.  

Trying to enact and enforce such a system after the fact would not be popular with long term players, and those loyal to one country or another.  There would also be many more "1-player" squads formed to give the player more control over where he plays.  Not a perfect solution, but it is not a perfect situation.