Author Topic: Skin Request: Spitfire mk V  (Read 1959 times)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Skin Request: Spitfire mk V
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2007, 01:58:01 AM »
How about and MTO based Spit VIII from 43 Squadron in the more standard gray/green but with the MTO red spinner and codes?
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2007, 02:00:53 AM »
Or maybe a CBI based Spit VIII from 17 Squadron?  This isn't the best profile I've ever done, but you get the idea.

As for sentimentality and Spits.  I saw my first when I was 7 years old at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry.  They have a B of B vet Spit I there.  I've been Spit goofy ever since so ya gotta trust me on this stuff Serenity.  40 years of Spits ought to count for something :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
      • http://rogerdee.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2007, 05:10:28 AM »
guppy i understand your love for spitfires they are beautiful like a race horse,but man ya still cant beat  that old carthorse of  a hurricane:p
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

it does what it says on the tin

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2007, 08:01:54 PM »
Originally posted by Guppy35
How about and MTO based Spit VIII from 43 Squadron in the more standard gray/green but with the MTO red spinner and codes?

Whoops, my fault Dan.

Had it all ready to go, forgot to submit it :( .
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2007, 08:20:56 PM »
Battle of Britain was fought with Spit Is and very few IIs.  If you are asking for Spit I skins then it's going to make sense cause they didn't use the gray/green outside of OTUs when they were no longer front line combat or ASR Spit IIs.

We only have 2 Spit I skins.  Both are B of B skins, 54 and 74 Squadrons.  If you are 'sentimental' about the B of B then fly the Spit I in the brown green.  Or fly the Spit V in brown/green and pretend it's a 92 Squadron Spitfire Ib.

You have to understand the scale on which the Spit V fought which is covered wonderfully by the skinners, and Kev in particular.

We've got Malta based, Italy based USAAF stuff, North Africa, pre-August 41 ETO and post 41 ETO when they changed to gray/green.  RAAF PTO etc.

We could still use a Russia based Spit V and a camo RAAF bird, and potentially a good North Africa RAF bird just to even things out.

In all honesty, considering it's use, it would make more sense to ask for more gray/green Spit Vs cause they saw more service in those colors.  As it is, I think we have a wonderful selection of skins for the V and adding another brown/green makes less sense then the 3 others I mentioned if we are to get more V skins.

I know Spits are your passion at the moment, but you've been changing on the fly from B17s, to 109s now to Spit Vs.  I'm guessing you'll find another passion long before we get more skins.

Not meant as a shot btw, just an observation as your passion for whichever plane is clear, but seems to be relatively short lived.  It wasn't that long ago that I coulda swore you were 303rd BG B17s for life and that died fast :)

My passion has never wavered. I still love Bf-109s, and fly them, I still love B-17s, (Any time a scenario or snapshot has them I am in the lead plane) Im just trying to expand my horizons. I started on the Spitfires because I OBVIOUSLY needed to learn ACM, and everyone suggests those. I still love the 303rd, and B-17s, and im still making time every night to read those books you sent me sir. But while what I am vocal about changes, my passions still remain. I simply notice things that I would LIKE changed more on aircraft if I fly them regularly. I understand your point of BoB. I think I might not have worded that properly. When you think of Spitfires, you think of the brown-green camo. This comes to mind first because the spitfire was made famous in the Battle of Britain. I do fly the I by the way, ive been practically living in the AvA this last week during BoB. And again, this is just something I would like. I understand, and agree with your point about service action. I just dont favour those schemes. Once more, I understand you werent jabbing me, I know you are far to honorable a man to ever consider that, I just want you to know my loves have never waivered. I still find myself drawn, almost constantly, to those 4 big engines, or that Iron Cross. I just force myself to expand my horizons ;)

(BTW, I think I can start making skins again. I realized what I was doing wrong in the beggining, so this will be my last skin request. But, if you could be oh so terribly kind, is there any way I could ask you to dig down once more into your heart and send me your Spitfire template? Ive been having terrible trouble making my own. If youd rather I do it myself to learn, I will understand perfectly. Thank you again sir for all you have ever done for me.)

Offline Ball

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2007, 06:27:26 AM »
Almost missed this.  AR213 is being restored to flight.  It was a fairly well known flyer for a while but is being restored all the way back to Spitfire Ia standards.  It previously flew with 4 blade prop, wrong windscreen etc.  They're taking it back to factory fresh and last i heard it will probably be in it's OTU codes that it wore when Ginger Lacy flew it as a 'bounce" aircraft for the fledgling pilots.

If we're lucy it will carry the markings Ginger had on it.  AR313 was one of the last Spit Is built so it never saw combat.

You may be interested to see this Spit I (Spitfire I R6915) too,  check out the (original) markings:-

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2007, 12:19:10 PM »
Originally posted by Ball
You may be interested to see this Spit I (Spitfire I R6915) too,  check out the (original) markings:-

Those aren't it's 'original' markings, but the markings it was wearing in 1945.  That Spit also has an extensive combat history from the B of B.  I'd love to see them do to that bird what was done to the FAA Corsair where they took off the layers to see what was below, ending up with the most original Corsair in existance in terms of wartime markings.

That Spit ended it's service days as an OTU aircraft for training.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Ball

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2007, 12:42:54 PM »
Those aren't it's 'original' markings, but the markings it was wearing in 1945.  That Spit also has an extensive combat history from the B of B.  I'd love to see them do to that bird what was done to the FAA Corsair where they took off the layers to see what was below, ending up with the most original Corsair in existance in terms of wartime markings.

That Spit ended it's service days as an OTU aircraft for training.

Sorry... that is what i meant, it's original markings meaning unrestored.