Author Topic: The man who saved my son  (Read 1715 times)

Offline crims

• Nickel Member
Re: Re: The man who saved my son
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2007, 06:55:23 PM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
Imagine that.  Us, too.  Hang in there, and try your best to let your son know how much we all are behind him, and appreciate his sacrifice.

- oldman

Well Said Oldman

When you talk to your son make sure he and his fellow Brave Men and Women

Now that we are more behind them then the NEWS will but on the TV.:aok

Crims

479th Raiders FG
Life's to Short Don't Forget To Laugh 479Th Raiders FG

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
Re: Re: The man who saved my son
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2007, 07:20:07 PM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
Imagine that.  Us, too.  Hang in there, and try your best to let your son know how much we all are behind him, and appreciate his sacrifice.

- oldman

here here best of luck to you and yours sir and i am keeping you all in my prayers
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
The man who saved my son
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2007, 03:01:56 PM »
Guys thanks for all the well wishes. I'm still here at Brooke Army Medical Center. Thomas is doing well and in great spirits. having his brother here as well has really lifted his spirits. There's always laughter when those two get together.
 They have not yet been able to close his wounds because of the amount of debris pickrd up in the explosion. He's in the OR as I type this getting another wash out. These really knock the wind out of him, and I expect once they are able to close up the wounds he'll make real progress. He lost both legs above the knee. However I've already seen young men in much worse shape then Thomas.
Please think of and thank all these young warriors.

They may have fallen , but the spirit they display leaves no doubt they will stand again. For all the tragedy here, this is the most inspiring place I have ever been in my life.
Anybody wishing to write or send cards..........

SPC Thomas Vandeventer
Brooke Army Medical Center
MCHE-DN-4W
3851 Rodger Brooke Drive
Ft Sam Houston Tx 78233-6200

Heart felt Thanks agagain everyone.

Shifty

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
The man who saved my son
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2007, 03:09:36 PM »
I'll get right on it.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline CUTT

• Zinc Member
The man who saved my son
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2007, 03:36:05 PM »
All,
There isn't enough that can be said about our soldiers. On behalf of the 325th Checkertails VFG I send your families our warmest wishes. I pray for your son and a speedy recovery.

Cutt
325th Commanding

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
The man who saved my son
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2007, 05:09:37 PM »
Shifty, one of my all time favorite books is “Reach for the Sky”.  It’s about Douglas Bader.  It’s an incredibly inspirational book to any able bodied person; I can only imagine how it might read to a soldier in a similar physical situation.  When the pace calms down you may want to pick up a copy for your son.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
The man who saved my son
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2007, 05:30:59 PM »
I'm glad you posted this Eskimo. I was thinking of getting him a book on Bader

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Hawco

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
The man who saved my son
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2007, 06:00:04 PM »
Hey John
Pass on my thoughts to him would you? I'll also send him a note shortly.
Christ, it all comes back to you just as you think you have buried it when I see what's going on with Thomas.
Graham

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
Valor
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2007, 06:56:13 PM »
Shifty, Sir.

The prayers of my family extend to yours and to that of SSGT Dias.  My sons are too young for this round of chaos in Irag.  I could only hope they would perform in a like manner exhibited by yours.

It is always in times of dire circumstance that that all that is good in man shines forth the brightest.  
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
The man who saved my son
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2007, 08:30:31 PM »
Shifty,

Other than cards, notes, etc..., what does Thomas want, need, enjoy?  I'd be happy to include what I can when we write.

our prayers

« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 09:28:53 PM by Dichotomy »
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
The man who saved my son
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2007, 10:16:04 PM »
Originally posted by Shifty
Guys thanks for all the well wishes. I'm still here at Brooke Army Medical Center. Thomas is doing well and in great spirits. having his brother here as well has really lifted his spirits. There's always laughter when those two get together.
 They have not yet been able to close his wounds because of the amount of debris pickrd up in the explosion. He's in the OR as I type this getting another wash out. These really knock the wind out of him, and I expect once they are able to close up the wounds he'll make real progress. He lost both legs above the knee. However I've already seen young men in much worse shape then Thomas.
Please think of and thank all these young warriors.

They may have fallen , but the spirit they display leaves no doubt they will stand again. For all the tragedy here, this is the most inspiring place I have ever been in my life.
Anybody wishing to write or send cards..........

SPC Thomas Vandeventer
Brooke Army Medical Center
MCHE-DN-4W
3851 Rodger Brooke Drive
Ft Sam Houston Tx 78233-6200

Heart felt Thanks agagain everyone.

Shifty

I will write your son.  

Shifty, be strong and if you do need a talk, feel free to call me (I'll pm you my #).    I'm a good listener and supporter in times like this.   Ask Mac, we had a few talks.    Sometimes we went to the DA, and just typed or talked on vox where it was quiet.   I'd like to think I made a friend out of those talks.  

I'm proud of every Veteran I come across, as I myself am not one.   However, I appreciate the damn fine job they do, and wish they were treated better sometimes than they are.   Your son made a sacrifice, and for that I and other's should do the best we can to "lend assistance".   That is the least I can do.  

Jay "Karaya"
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
The man who saved my son
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2007, 10:32:12 PM »
Originally posted by USRanger
I lost a knee to an RPG over there in '03.  The emotional trauma is just as bad as the physical, and I can attest first hand that letters of support, even from strangers,  work as good as any medicine.

If we ever meet Ranger, don't you ever worry about "buying lunch", or any rounds.  It'll be on me.   I hope you have recovered to the best that you can.  

I'm not a Veteran myself but am proud that you guys risk life and limb to make the United States the best damn Country on this Earth.  

<>
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline bzek74

• Copper Member
The man who saved my son
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2007, 07:44:32 AM »
I see hes a 1st Cav soldier. Once Cav always Cav he has brothers for life. I did my time under the big patch. Live the Legend

90prf

Offline sgt203

• Nickel Member
The man who saved my son
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2007, 09:56:15 AM »
You could fill entire librarys with all the great things our soldiers do on a daily basis that you never hear about..

The fact these two fine young men have never chosen to talk about what they did for each other is a testament to their characters as individuals and as soldiers..

Shifty that was a very, very touching story and I wish nothing but the best and a speedy recovery for Thomas...

He is doing for us all that which not all can do for themselves, he is fighting for our way of life and our freedoms which we hold dear..  

Please thank him for me and my family and let him know he will be in my thoughts and prayers. I cannot state in words the gratitude and admiration I have in my heart for all of these boys...

I will place Thomas and SSGT Diaz in my prayers

God Speed..

Offline weazely

• Silver Member
The man who saved my son
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2007, 01:36:42 PM »
<> shifty and ur family
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX.
Invidia V2 Catless Downpipe
STi Catback
HKS SQV BOV