Author Topic: Loaded but cant fly...  (Read 838 times)

ktorbert

Loaded but cant fly...
« on: April 05, 2000, 03:43:00 PM »
i just loaded my AH. i click on ah.exe and it clicks white screen then back to desktop. NO GAME.
I have a Dell Inspirion 7500 w/ P3-500 mhz, 128 meg ram, ati-rage moblitity 8meg 3d card, ess maestreo 3d sound card, i use a Logitech wingman force usb joystick.

[This message has been edited by ktorbert (edited 04-05-2000).]

[This message has been edited by ktorbert (edited 04-05-2000).]

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
Loaded but cant fly...
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2000, 08:59:00 PM »
ktorbert;

I don't know how far you have gotten in being able to run AH.  The first time you started AH you should have gotten an intermediate screen to select your video.

Next time you try to load AH do this first.  Delele the file "video.cfg" in the AH directory.  Then attempt to restart AH, when you get the video selection screen make sure that you select 16m and 640x480.

Another problem that I have had that was similiar to yours was when I was trying to start AH when I did not have a sound card installed.  Same exact thing happened to me.  Make sure that your sound card is up and running correctly.

I am not sure if AH requires a joystick properly configured to run, but give it a shot.  Make sure yours in properly configured in Windows before starting AH.

I hope this helps and know I was vague.  Good Luck!  

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew

ktorbert

Loaded but cant fly...
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2000, 09:11:00 PM »
Ok i did everything above. I did exe then it went white screen flickered then went back to white then back to desktop.

Offline indian

• Copper Member
Loaded but cant fly...
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2000, 11:51:00 PM »
Not sure but might be your vid card. Havent heard of that one before.

------------------
Tommy (INDIAN) Toon
  1st Aces High Trainer Corps.
Home of The Allied Fighter Wing A.F.W.
A.F.W. Homepage

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
Loaded but cant fly...
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2000, 06:48:00 AM »
The most common video problems I have seen on this board are:

1.) Get Video Current Drivers
2.) Needs DX7
3.) Select 16 bit color in video setup for AcesHigh

Try each of those.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure
Carpe Jugulum
"Real Men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires"

Offline maddog

• Nickel Member
Loaded but cant fly...
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2000, 10:29:00 AM »
Go to AH directory and erase config file... run again and pick 16bit and low res... that should do it... been there,done that
doc

ktorbert

Loaded but cant fly...
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2000, 11:32:00 AM »
ol guys i'll give that a try. Hope it works.... Thanks fer the help so far...

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Loaded but cant fly...
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2000, 12:15:00 AM »
Same problem here.  Deleted the video.cfg file, chose the primary display driver and 1024 x 768.  Screen pops up like it wants to load, then exits to desktop.

Pevious version worked fine!!  Voodoo3 card here, and current with all drivers.  All other online games work fine.

LePaul

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Loaded but cant fly...
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2000, 08:33:00 AM »
LePaul, are you sure you have 16 bit color selected?

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

Perfect plans, aren't.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Loaded but cant fly...
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2000, 11:51:00 AM »
Yes.  Its checked.

And when not playing games, I am running High Color 16 bit (so I can do 1280 x 1024).

Ideas?

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Loaded but cant fly...
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2000, 12:07:00 PM »
Just some followup...

I delteted the video.cfg file and when Aces High fired up, it asked if I want 16 or 32 bit, and the resolution.  For sh*ts n grins, I tried 32, and was promptly thrown back to the desktop.  So, she tosses me out on 16 and 32.

Still maintaining my sense of humor  :-)

LePaul

Offline snag

• Zinc Member
Loaded but cant fly...
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2000, 12:20:00 PM »
yes strange bug, I had the same problem exactly in W95, deleted the video.cfg, changed 16 to 32 and back, various resolutions, delete the hires files, redownloaded it, reinstalled : no effect.

then I checked how AH was in W2k (it's a dual boot machine), the shortcut points to the program in the W95 drive : it worked fine (except of course kbd input, but that's another story).

then I booted back to W95 and this time it worked ! very stange.

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Loaded but cant fly...
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2000, 10:14:00 PM »
First of, make sure you Direct X 7a  (note the a, this is an updated version of DX7.0 and is only available at www.microsoft.com/directx  )

ATI video card I see, I've been having troubles with an xpert98.  Don't be surprised if you have strange graphics problems if you get it to work.  You could try newer drivers, but be sure to read the known problems list.  All of the new ATI drivers I've seen have a huge list of problems.  If you see listed problems for games like Janes WWII fighters, forget that version.  (You might want to take a look at the screenshot I posted under "ATI 128 driver bug" to see what problem I'm now having.)  My current card is an ATI xpert128 using driver 4.12.6069.

FYI:  I also have another computer at college that has a Diamond V770 Ultra card using Diamonds 4.12 drivers.  It has ABSOLUTELY flawless performance in any game I've tried.  (Note, this is Diamond, the worst company on the planet for tech support.)  I'm hoping ATI will impress me, otherwise they will be losing a customer soon.

bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Loaded but cant fly...
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2000, 03:23:00 PM »
Well, I have the DirectX Software Developers Kit in here (7a) and I really dont want to hose my development machine over HiTech's bad code/booboo.  My other DirectX games are working great, just this one refuses to go after the update.  Grrr  :-(

As to the Diamond comment...yes, I couldnt agree more, their support is a labyrinth at best [follow-the-email-addresses].  Im told from resellers they no longer sell the Ultra 770 due to an enormous return rate.  I had one, as I was dying to have a 32mb video card.  4 days later, it up and died.  So, I went for reliable and chose the Voodoo3.  Yea, I cant play Delta Force 2 but everything else works great.

Still can't play Aces High, Tech Support.  Ideas?  I miss my B-17

LePaul

[This message has been edited by LePaul (edited 04-09-2000).]

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
Loaded but cant fly...
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2000, 04:44:00 PM »
Is that the Laptop Dell?  What res are you running it at?

'Nexx'
NEXX