Author Topic: Any Joystick recommendations ?  (Read 525 times)

Offline all5x

• Zinc Member
Any Joystick recommendations ?
« on: March 06, 2007, 11:50:46 AM »
It's been awhile since I've flown on-line (Airwarrior days)... I pulled out the Microsoft Force feedback 2 from the closet to start flying AH.... Decided I need a better stick. can anyone recommend a quality stick that feels good and is compatible with  the game.... I'm looking at the Saitek X52, but I heard it may have a few dead spots, not accurate, and very light...
  Thanks,
 ALL5X
ALL5X 
III/JG2 Richthofen  MA

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 01:15:46 PM »
The X52 is fully compatible, and I've had 0 issues with mine so far. I got the extended warranty coverage just in case (burned through 3 saitek sticks in just under 3 years), but it's been fine, despite regular, drunken abuse.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Hoarach

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 01:23:34 PM »
CH
Fringe
Nose Art
80th FS "Headhunters"

Secret Association of P38 Pilots

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 02:36:23 PM »
My CH pedals are still working and I bought them shortly after CH released USB pedals. My last fighter stick lasted six years. My throttle isnt old enough to get tired yet. Id say CH is worth the price.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 03:24:30 PM »
CH - Never had any problems with mine - ever.  Had to buy a new USB set since I built a new computer without dual boot (needs Win 98 to programme the buttons on my old gameport set.) The gameport set I got sometime around 1999 I think and it still works fine on my wifes PC (A hand me down from guess who!).

I have always had Pro-pedals, Pro-Throttle and a stick. This time the fighterstick, last time the combat stick. Fighter stick has some 4 way hats in positions where the combat stick has single buttons, otherwise they are the same.

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 03:35:33 PM »
The CH gear is the cheapest way to go.   If you are a wise shopper, you will spend about $300 for FighterStick/Pro Thottle/Pro Pedals.   If you buy an X52, that's, what $125 or so and you get the privilige of buying new gear in a year or two; that's another $125.  ...and the trend continues.   With CH, you spend the $300 once and you're set for life.
The Hay Street Boys

Offline all5x

• Zinc Member
Joystick recommendations
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 12:57:16 AM »
Thanks for all the positive input. After some research, I'm going with CH products :CH Fighterstick, Pro rudder pedals, and Pro throttle. Just ordered from The Nerds Net....... Should be here in about a week, till then I'll use my old Micrsoft sidewinder pro to try and get a tiny handle on flying....
  Thanks again,
 ALL5X
ALL5X 
III/JG2 Richthofen  MA

Offline nickf620

• Copper Member
Re: Any Joystick recommendations ?
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 04:54:57 AM »
Originally posted by all5x
and very light...

just picked mine up and it isnt light
Since tour 75

Offline all5x

• Zinc Member
Joystick recommendations
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 05:05:01 PM »
Guess I'm used to the feel of the Sidewinder pro, that old stick is pretty solid, and it refuses to move out of it's own way on desk....Although, when I did fly allot in AW I burned thru three of them in about two years. Just wish it had more buttons.... When I researched my next stick, I saw that CH is making Multi function panels that you can custom set up for specific applications.. Anyone use them?  I contemplated a purchase of one of those also, but it was hard enough to hide spending $320.00 on Joystick stuff without adding an additional $175.00 to it... Just hope the wife doesn’t notice some additions to my computer desk...
 All5x
ALL5X 
III/JG2 Richthofen  MA

Offline eh

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 12:32:51 AM »
I am still using the MS Sidewinder FFPro, and I understand your love for it, because I have used one since AWII. It will last a lot longer in AH if you turn the Force Feedback off, and the stick will still feel hefty the way you like it.

The FFPro does have a lack of programmable buttons these days, but a real (and cheaper) alternative to a new stick and pedals is to buy a Saitek Gamer's Keyboard. It has a programmable key pad attached (27 functions) which will really enhance your MS stick. I have been using it together with the MS stick  for over a year now, and the two together are a great combo.

I am moving on to a new Saitek stick and pedals now, but the above is an option that you may want to consider... it's a great temporary solution, and it's budget friendly!

Regards
eh?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 01:06:51 AM »
My old analog (gameport) Sidewinder has lasted me a long time. It's still going strong but it's starting to act a little flaky (very little). Like a little bit of spiking at certain throttle settings, where you have to adjust the throttle just a hair to stop it. It's like the sensors or the LEDs are going nutty but the stick is still solid.

Oh and I'm wearing out my hat in 1 direction, but it's still working for now.

Overall I recommend this stick highly!