Author Topic: Tim Hardaway and his love of gays  (Read 4322 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Tim Hardaway and his love of gays
« Reply #195 on: February 26, 2007, 04:51:55 PM »
Originally posted by Viking
I don't think I can handle this new nice and caring Lazs. I want the old mean and grumpy Lazs back! :cry

Threaten to take his guns away and tell him that he's got a dinner date with Pelosi and the gun control lobby.  you'll see the old Lazs =)

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #196 on: February 26, 2007, 06:02:14 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
mighty... I have no problem with you being disgusted with gay behavior but... the person?   You can't just condem em all out of hand based on your dislike of something that they do that is natural for them and between consenting adults.

I would also say that if you have never told your brother how you feel about it then you don't know anything about him.   I was honest with my brother about the whole thing..  It might have  bothered him some but we could talk it out and get it out of the way.

lazs

I shouldn't speak for Mighty, but it's like this...

The person he refers to is a first-cousin. He is the son of our uncle, who was raised with us like a brother by our mother (when her family was orphaned). There is absolutely no need or reason to approach the cousin about it, because he is as he is, as is Mighty. Approaching the cousin on the topic would be totally unwelcome, and worse it would result in alienating the uncle and our mother. It isn't worth that to simply tell a person you disagree with their lifestyle.

As for how close we were to this young man, well, Mighty and I are both a little older. We babysat for him and his sisters while we were all growing up. It was obvious from a very early age this boy was gay. Was it environment, or genetics, or both? Who cares. He's gay.

Personally, I think Mighty is coming off stronger than he actually means to here. He doesn't hate the cousin, but he sure doesn't want to hear about his boyfriend. In addition, what he said about where we live is very true. We have a large and vocal gay population just north of us, and they get a lot of press. I guess Mighty could also throw in there tidbits about friends of his wife who are gay, how those gay friends mess with him, crap like that... they won't let him ignore them, they're in his face with their behavior. That crap would get old with anyone.

Offline BTW

• Silver Member
« Reply #197 on: February 26, 2007, 09:14:24 PM »
Thats the best way to debate a topic- personalize it. That just sparks objectivity :rolleyes:

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #198 on: February 27, 2007, 06:11:44 AM »
BTW,

If that is directed at me, so be it. I feel things were being directed at Mighty in a very personal way. He's my brother. That's personal to me, too.

If Lazs wants to give a "one size fits all" answer to the problem, then he should understand that one size doesn't fit all. I'm glad it all worked out for him, but it isn't that easy for everyone else.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #199 on: February 27, 2007, 07:21:56 AM »
Originally posted by BTW
Thats the best way to debate a topic- personalize it. That just sparks objectivity :rolleyes:

lol

Or...just paint an entire segment of society with the same brush and rant and rave about how terrible they are.  That's a much better way to debate the subject.

:rolleyes:

Kieran,

I assume you subscribe to the "We hate the sin but not the sinner" concept?

This is what a bunch of fundementalist Christians claimed here just before they held a massive gay bashing rally at our national stadium.  They actually invited gays to the rally so that "hands could be laid on the sinners" and they could be saved.

Their main agenda was to ensure that our human rights legislation did NOT extend to gays.  Nice.

To add insult to injury these same fundementalists are die hard supporters of a labour government...which is odd.  This government is known to have a Cabinet full of gay people.

So, on the one hand they are rigorously anti-gay...but vote for gays.

Just a bizarre bunch.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #200 on: February 27, 2007, 08:35:18 AM »
my point was that you either like someone or you don't.. there can be lot's of reasons.   I just don't think that being gay (in an of itself) is a good enough reason.   How they behave may be.   I may also be that you read too much into it...  Maybe not.   I certainly do not want to hear about what my brother does with his friends sexualy... no problem.. I just get that out in the open with him.

I tell him that it gags me to see it.   Don't expect me to be "tolerant"... don't expect me to go see broke back mountain...  In return.. I won't grope my girlfriend in front of him and his and I won't give him details of my sex life.

viking..   I have plenty of people who I consider enemies of my freedom...  I consider gay marriage a bad idea too so long as they want to leach off conventional marriage.

I have no time to hate people based soley on their sexual preference so long as it is between consenting adults.   To many real threats to be making ones up.

I think I am consistent if maybe a tad pragmatic.

BTW...  the topic has no point.   You have no point.   or, so far as I can see, you are being dishonest about it.

You say that at least some of it (homosexuality) is genetic...  ok..  you are born with it.   end of subject.  

you say that some is environment...you won't say how much or if you think environment can change someone born either way to the opposite sexuality in some permanent way... so... end of subject.

you say some is chemical?   like what?  Dr jekl and mr hyde formulas?   lead in the air?   which is it, do the "chemicals" make you strait or gay?   will a tinfoil hat help?   you won't say.

lazs

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #201 on: February 27, 2007, 08:47:56 AM »
Wow, never realized the impact a washed up NBA player had.  He was a non-factor then, as he still is, regardless of his book.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

storch

« Reply #202 on: February 27, 2007, 09:28:25 AM »
but his car wash business has gone down the rainbow flagged drain

Offline BTW

• Silver Member
« Reply #203 on: February 27, 2007, 09:43:17 AM »

you say some is chemical?   like what?  Dr jekl and mr hyde formulas?   lead in the air?   which is it, do the "chemicals" make you strait or gay?   will a tinfoil hat help?   you won't say.

lazs

You really have no clue what I'm talking about?

Sorry, I thought this was basic high school biology, and I though you were being purposely dense.

The chemicals (chromatin proteins ) affect the fetus in the womb or uterus. In fact, thats how the sex organs are formed. Every fetus starts out as a female.
It is believed these proteins may also affect sexual orientation.

Here if you want some heady reading on the subject.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1170931
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 09:48:55 AM by BTW »

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #204 on: February 27, 2007, 09:54:11 AM »
Originally posted by Mightytboy

Well for the record I try not to  treat gays any different in person than I do anyone else.

...but I mind my own business and stay out of theirs as long as they don't try to force me to participate. That includes parades,demonstrations or even to change/create laws.

I express my opinions here like everyone else but I try to never offend anyone in person unless they offend me first.

By not trying to treat gays any different than anyone else,aren't you implying same treatment/rights for them?...Then you say you don't want anything to do with changing laws that gives them the same legal rights..?

I read somewhere that in five states it is a felony for two men to have sex..yet in two of those states it is legal for a man & woman to have anal sex..but two guys? >>>Jail<<<

Fix the laws so everyone has the exact same rights...Marriage/adoption/benifits...Then the only protests you will see are those who don't want the same rights for everone(KKK,Religious right..ets)

Reverse discrimination would also vanish if hiring quotas based on skin colour were banned.

Same rights for everyone...What's so wrong about a level playing field?

**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Mightytboy

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #205 on: February 27, 2007, 10:19:28 AM »
Originally posted by SirLoin
By not trying to treat gays any different than anyone else,aren't you implying same treatment/rights for them?...Then you say you don't want anything to do with changing laws that gives them the same legal rights..?

I read somewhere that in five states it is a felony for two men to have sex..yet in two of those states it is legal for a man & woman to have anal sex..but two guys? >>>Jail<<<

Fix the laws so everyone has the exact same rights...Marriage/adoption/benifits...Then the only protests you will see are those who don't want the same rights for everone(KKK,Religious right..ets)

Reverse discrimination would also vanish if hiring quotas based on skin colour were banned.

Same rights for everyone...What's so wrong about a level playing field?

So I either have to accept them and give them everything they want or I have to treat them like scum? Sorry it's not that simple.

As you often forget gays have the same rights right now.

A man can marry a woman.

A husband and wife can have sex how they want.

A Husband and Wife share benifits.

As far as adoption goes they should be treated just like anyone else. What is their mental state? Can they provide a good home?

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #206 on: February 27, 2007, 02:37:17 PM »
btw... thank you for clearing that up...  as I suspected you are talking about the fluid in the womb which would make being gay a genetic (born that way) and a chemical (born that way) condition..

now all we have to do is get you to explain the environmental aspect of your post.

but.. at least at this point... you seem to be saying that it is mostly being born the way you are.    sooo...  all that is left is for you to explain how much is environmental.

leaving out the environmental (since you haven't explained that) you are pretty much saying that... homo or hetro... it's just the way we are born.

Or am I missing something that you will, in your normal manner, graciously explain in your next post while being careful to not insult anyone?

lazs

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #207 on: February 27, 2007, 03:30:53 PM »
Originally posted by storch
but his car wash business has gone down the rainbow flagged drain
:rofl
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #208 on: February 27, 2007, 06:37:14 PM »
Originally posted by Curval

Kieran,

I assume you subscribe to the "We hate the sin but not the sinner" concept?

That is the cliche, but I don't much care for the "hate" part, because it is misconstrued. The Bible is written in the language the readers of the time would understand, so you see references about people needing to "hate the darkness and love the light", but of course that is a metaphor. What Christians are supposed to do is recognize sin and turn away from it. They are also charged with trying to turn their fellow man away from sin. Christians aren't supposed to condemn others for their sins, rather they are to help lead them away.

This is what a bunch of fundementalist Christians claimed here just before they held a massive gay bashing rally at our national stadium.  They actually invited gays to the rally so that "hands could be laid on the sinners" and they could be saved.

Were gays forced to attend? Do you understand the purpose of "laying on hands"? Whether you agree with it or not, those Christians' intent was to reach out in love. You may think it misguided, but their purpose was to help. So tell me... where again was the gay bashing part? See, this is the hard part for me as a Christian... I can understand my beliefs not being welcome, no prob. What I don't get is how that gets turned into "hate".

But, tell you what... you find me a single Biblical passage that directly says homosexuality is okey-dokey with God, and I will be perfectly fine with it. Seriously. Otherwise, how would you expect a Christian to behave?

Their main agenda was to ensure that our human rights legislation did NOT extend to gays.  Nice.

I know it's splitting hairs, but no, that's not the main agenda. The main agenda (I say this as in "usually", I wasn't at your event) is to protect their own vision of society, which is their right to do. If you believe in a God that tells you a certain behavior is detestable to Him, you certainly don't want your society normalizing that behavior. How would you expect these people to act? Like it or not, Christians in a democratic society also have a right to vote, to enter government, to try to affect the way government works. Or would you deny them their rights based on their religious beliefs?

To add insult to injury these same fundementalists are die hard supporters of a labour government...which is odd.  This government is known to have a Cabinet full of gay people.

So, on the one hand they are rigorously anti-gay...but vote for gays.

Just a bizarre bunch.

I think this is very telling... it's obvious Christians don't hate gays in your country, as you suggest, rather they are against many of the proposals the gays put forth. See, this is how the argument gets framed... if you are against a group's policies, you must hate them. Ridiculous!

Of course that is a standard tactic by minority groups of all types... yell "bigot" or "racist" or "homophobe" and you immediately have the other side on the defensive trying to explain how they are not. Discussion over.

Offline BTW

• Silver Member
« Reply #209 on: February 27, 2007, 07:45:43 PM »
btw... thank you for clearing that up...  as I suspected you are talking about the fluid in the womb which would make being gay a genetic (born that way) and a chemical (born that way) condition..

now all we have to do is get you to explain the environmental aspect of your post.

but.. at least at this point... you seem to be saying that it is mostly being born the way you are.    sooo...  all that is left is for you to explain how much is environmental.

leaving out the environmental (since you haven't explained that) you are pretty much saying that... homo or hetro... it's just the way we are born.

Or am I missing something that you will, in your normal manner, graciously explain in your next post while being careful to not insult anyone?

lazs

If you suspected I was talking about chemical influences in the uterus, you certainly avoided it in your "tin foil hat" rant. What else would I have been talking about? Mercury based immunizations? This stringing out of the obvious reminds me of Bill Clinton's desire to have "is" defined for him. Also your jump from "born that way" to genetic is ridiculous. They are not the same. There are changes in the fetus while in the uterus that have NOTHING to do with genetics, the most obvious being brain injury.

I've explained the environmental aspect already. Its not tree pollen, its the behavioral environment. The behavioral environment is that which is learned from observation and interaction. Its an important part of the child's psyche.

And as far as me being insulting in my responses(I think you were implying that) I can be just as passive aggressive as the you :)