Author Topic: Wether to have weather?  (Read 1329 times)

Offline Helm

• Nickel Member
Wether to have weather?
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2007, 04:48:53 PM »
I say YES!!...to weather!! ....
XO of ^"^Nazgul^"^
Proudly serving since campaign #13
"No Rain?" ...."No Rainbow, baby!" ....Bootsey Collins 2009

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Wether to have weather?
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2007, 04:51:50 PM »
I used to like those old storm fronts that were in AW I but they were frustrating if you were in a bomber and happened to find one obscuring your target.  Other than that I liked them.

Fog would HELP your FR.  Less info for your card to have to deal with due to shortened visibility.

Rain/Snow/Lightning would likey kill your FR's.

I think there's MORE furballing now than ever since the big maps went away.  Even though I'm in a fighter squad I sometimes want to do something other than furballing and it's hard to find something else sometimes.  There are now times when, if you want to get in a fight, the only option is to join the furball.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
Wether to have weather?
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2007, 04:55:35 PM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl
I think there's MORE furballing now than ever since the big maps went away.  Even though I'm in a fighter squad I sometimes want to do something other than furballing and it's hard to find something else sometimes.  There are now times when, if you want to get in a fight, the only option is to join the furball.

Only because with the small maps at peak times it compresses people into small fronts.
Maps still get reset, just less frequently. (also other factors for this, uncaptureable bases, arena caps etc).

What you get is two fields with a mass in-between them until one side gets the upper hand and takes the base.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 05:00:54 PM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
Wether to have weather?
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2007, 05:00:35 PM »
I like the idea of having weather. It would be cool to be in a bomber and be able to have a chance at avoiding fighter(s) by ducking into a cloud bank....stuff like that.
Perfect example, no offense Bailey, but there you have it.  More place to hide, more ways to not fight more ways to take the thrill out of this game for the guys that are here to fight.

Kev I am not arguing that the majority of the community and for the most part the game has skewed to much less fighter combat.  You are totally correct about that.  This game and the old guard that just wanted a place to battle against each other in WWII airplanes is just about gone.

But You try to make it seem ok by trying to demean Air Combat, by calling it air quake but that only shows your ignorance and bias.  

I think as a community of a combat flight sim people, we would see the loss of the pure fighter types a bad thing.  

Unfortunately that is not the case and the majority follow your train of thought about taking undefended territory and bombing tool sheds, thus the path of least resistance become means.  

For people like you, you like that.  For people like me, I hate that and it is not what I look for in a Combat Flight game or a community.  And it is sad.

Why haven't I left yet?  Well because I know why HT started this game and I hope somehow he will find a way to bring back what he lost in his pursuit to create more of what I see as a WWII Online type of offering.

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
Wether to have weather?
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2007, 05:02:22 PM »
I think there's MORE furballing now than ever since the big maps went away. Even though I'm in a fighter squad I sometimes want to do something other than furballing and it's hard to find something else sometimes. There are now times when, if you want to get in a fight, the only option is to join the furball.

One horde pounding the least resistance is not a Furball.  Let me know when you are flying Eagle I would love to see what you are talking about.  When do you fly?  Please show me these furballs.

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Wether to have weather?
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2007, 05:02:52 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
... Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the "weather" is designed into the map by the map maker along with wind (direction/speed/altitude)...

I'll try to dispel some of these common weather myths for you all.

1. While you can build clouds into a terrain (by including an AWA file from the AH Cloud Editor) it is possible to override that default internal weather file by loading another one into the server... something which only Skuzzy or HTC can do. So, yes... a terrain can have built-in clouds, but you are not necessarily stuck with those. This is how the CMs set up different cloud conditions in the SEA.

2. All other weather functions... fog, wind, etc.,... are handled at the server, and are independent of the terrain. These settings can be set by HTC if it is the MA, or they can be set by the CMs if it is in the SEA or AvA arenas. You can see for yourself how it's done by playing with the Environment settings on any map in offline mode.

Soo... if you'd like some weather, let it be known. I suppose if enough of a majority wants it, it can be done. However, I personally think that the majority of the MA crowd does not want weather, and for very good reasons. Most people want to have fun and fight, not navigate.

Try to get involved with SEA events or the AvA if you'd like to play in some non-standard environments, we'd love to have more players in those arenas. :)
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline yayyyy

• Nickel Member
Wether to have weather?
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2007, 05:03:07 PM »
and we should be able to have varying temperatures. like it can be 90 degrees and then 20 degrees. and then you could buy an adapter that would plug in and either blow hot or cold air/ and or a sun maker or snow machine. and then maybe a rain maker to

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
Wether to have weather?
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2007, 05:04:57 PM »
I personally think that the majority of the MA crowd does not want weather, and for very good reasons. Most people want to have fun and fight, not navigate.

Try to get involved with SEA events or the AvA if you'd like to play in some non-standard environments, we'd love to have more players in those arenas.

Bingo, Dux gets it, weather is cool and has it place, in SEA, not the MA.

Offline Deth7

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.pigstompers.net
Wether to have weather?
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2007, 05:10:36 PM »
No Thanks..........
EA Still Blows...AOL Still Sux

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
Wether to have weather?
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2007, 05:13:17 PM »
Originally posted by mars01
Perfect example, no offense Bailey, but there you have it.  More place to hide, more ways to not fight more ways to take the thrill out of this game for the guys that are here to fight.

Kev I am not arguing that the majority of the community and for the most part the game has skewed to much less fighter combat.  You are totally correct about that.  This game and the old guard that just wanted a place to battle against each other in WWII airplanes is just about gone.

But You try to make it seem ok by trying to demean Air Combat, by calling it air quake but that only shows your ignorance and bias.  

I think as a community of a combat flight sim people, we would see the loss of the pure fighter types a bad thing.  

Unfortunately that is not the case and the majority follow your train of thought about taking undefended territory and bombing tool sheds, thus the path of least resistance become means.  

For people like you, you like that.  For people like me, I hate that and it is not what I look for in a Combat Flight game or a community.  And it is sad.

Why haven't I left yet?  Well because I know why HT started this game and I hope somehow he will find a way to bring back what he lost in his pursuit to create more of what I see as a WWII Online type of offering.

No doubt thats what the game originally was.
No-one has said losing the pure fighter types would be a good thing.
If anything it the fighter types who would quite happily dispose of all/any other players who don't play the game the way they think it should be.

If you think I (or the squad) spend our time taking undefended bases or toolshedding, just shows how little you know.
More than often you'll find us surrounded by a mass of red over our own base.
Or inbound to base capped by red to try and break it.

But yup, we'll pork when needed, we'll GV when needed, we'll buff when needed.

I hope in the end we get AH2-
With the ground aspect of BF1942
The graphics of IL2

You would need many many arenas to fit everyone in.

I thought that the furballers had made EW their home?

Air quake is no more demeaning than labelling people Toolshedders.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 05:18:04 PM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
Wether to have weather?
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2007, 05:18:12 PM »
Originally posted by Dux
I personally think that the majority of the MA crowd does not want weather, and for very good reasons. Most people want to have fun and fight, not navigate.
I personally have no real idea what the majority want, I have never seen a poll on this question. But I want to have fun and fight and I sometimes want some weather to make it interesting too. If dar is out I love trying to sneak up on someone using cloud cover. Likewise I need to watch out for the other guy trying the same on me.

So variety is the key for me. Lets have Clear Skys some of the time, Occasional clouds, Darnright overcast or Foggy sometimes, all work well in their own ways.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Wether to have weather?
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2007, 05:33:23 PM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl
I used to like those old storm fronts that were in AW I but they were frustrating if you were in a bomber and happened to find one obscuring your target.  Other than that I liked them.

Fog would HELP your FR.  Less info for your card to have to deal with due to shortened visibility.

Rain/Snow/Lightning would likey kill your FR's.

AW had weather?  

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Wether to have weather?
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2007, 07:36:52 PM »
Originally posted by Blagard
I personally have no real idea what the majority want, I have never seen a poll on this question. But I want to have fun and fight and I sometimes want some weather to make it interesting too. If dar is out I love trying to sneak up on someone using cloud cover. Likewise I need to watch out for the other guy trying the same on me.

So variety is the key for me. Lets have Clear Skys some of the time, Occasional clouds, Darnright overcast or Foggy sometimes, all work well in their own ways.

Don't get me wrong, Blagard... I love the weather, too. But this topic has been around as long as AH, and the majority concensus has always been "more fun, less work". That's why I hang out (and am deeply involved with) the SEA and the AvA... because we get to play around with that stuff in there, along with other players who also enjoy doing something different and having some variety. :)
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
Wether to have weather?
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2007, 07:43:39 PM »
Originally posted by mars01

No offense taken Mars, I don't mind that we have different opinions.  I think AH is a game that offers players multiple objectives. There is more to do than get down in the weeds  and furball.  Some players, myself excluded, like to strategic bomb.  What you seem to be saying is that you think your objectives in the game are the only worthy ones.  I respect your desire to furball, I just think you are disregarding that not everyone likes to exclusively furball.  Some people like to organize missions, take bases etc.

These people could plan missions that use weather to their advantage.. or perhaps they would have to plan around poor weather.  It shouldn't bother you that bombers might try to duck into clouds to save themselves. When was the last time you were high enough to go after a set of buffs?   :)

Offline MOIL

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ltar.org
Wether to have weather?
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2007, 10:52:09 PM »
Quote:
"Perfect example, no offense Bailey, but there you have it. More place to hide, more ways to not fight more ways to take the thrill out of this game for the guys that are here to fight"

What does adding a nicer landscape and possible altered weather effects have to do with "taking the thrill out of the game" ?

If I'm not mistaken on the front page HT states they are going to be adding some new foilage to the ground model.

None of these things take away from "fighting" there is tons of "fights" every night, both in A/C & GV's.  If you think I'm kidding about that tag along with my squad sometime you'll have more "fights" than you can shake a stick at:eek: