Author Topic: Wether to have weather?  (Read 1328 times)

Offline Laurie

• Nickel Member
Wether to have weather?
« on: February 16, 2007, 09:08:16 AM »
Was talking with a fellow squaddie last night about AH, as we all do, lol and saying what we think would enhance the game,

We both thought that different weather conditions would bring a new dimension to the game, and would be realistic, since when was it always sunny with patchy cloud?

Wind, Rain,Fog, overcast and the occasional snow/blizzard and tropical storm would be well. FUN.

The wind factor would also make people have to think harder about  their flight path's e.t.c.

But yup thats what we thought lol, also maybe a tweak with our sun that shoots bright death rays in your eyes would be nice

<<<<>>>>
Hul367th

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Wether to have weather?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 09:13:31 AM »
PC memory makers all over the world just gave you a standing ovation.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
Wether to have weather?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 09:16:30 AM »
3 words: Microsoft Flight SIM -

Its hard enough to get people to fight now you want them to have better places to hide?

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
Wether to have weather?
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 09:19:54 AM »
I remember a few years ago we had moving fronts, big heavy clouds you had to fly through,  actually needed to use your instruments to keep your wings level and watch your climb.  Cloud base was somewhere around 10k and went up to about 13 to 14k.   It was kinda fun to use the clouds to sneak up on someone :t   There was also a map that had an almost fog like quality to it, I think it was one of the winter maps used in AvA.  

One of the other things that was cool about having the bigger clouds and fronts was you would setup a bombing mission for a target then get there and find the target was obscured by clouds and either pick a secondary target or drop altitude below the cloud base and make a lower run

It would be nice everyonce in awhile, just to having something different.

Offline Laurie

• Nickel Member
Wether to have weather?
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 09:24:37 AM »
Originally posted by mars01
3 words: Microsoft Flight SIM -

Its hard enough to get people to fight now you want them to have better places to hide?

is this because you fly 10k above everyone else and worried you wont be able to planes to cherry pick, and how can they hide in rain anyway, be realistic, they used cloud cover to hide in during WW2 so why dont we, this IS WW2 sim right.....?

Offline Laurie

• Nickel Member
Wether to have weather?
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 09:25:50 AM »
Originally posted by Airscrew
It would be nice everyonce in awhile, just to having something different.

what i'm after, day in day out clear skies is boring and unrealistic

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
Wether to have weather?
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 09:28:35 AM »
is this because you fly 10k above everyone else and worried you wont be able to planes to cherry pick, and how can they hide in rain anyway, be realistic, they used cloud cover to hide in during WW2 so why dont we, this IS WW2 sim right.....?
Maybe you should get a clue who you are talking to before you puke out BS so bad your breath stinks.  I have never seen you in the weeds, where I usually am Laurie so check yourself.  :aok

The last thing this game needs it night or weather.  The majority of the player base already has enough excuses not to fight you don't need to give them another one.

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
Wether to have weather?
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 09:31:10 AM »
what i'm after, day in day out clear skies is boring and unrealistic

Maybe I could care less about weather etc, because I am more concerned about actually fighting than flying around in the clouds LOLH.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Wether to have weather?
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 09:34:15 AM »
Originally posted by Laurie

1. I don't think mars is an alt monkey. You get into a turn fight with him your going to know it.

2. This is a game based on a flight sim quality flight model. Huge difference.

Get use to that because ht said it himself.  Its a game.

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Keiler

• Copper Member
Wether to have weather?
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 09:45:31 AM »
Well at least we have some wind, randomly set direction at each map reset. At least the buffers and maybe also the ppl taking CV command would have to think about it (thats not a negative point, mind!).

I also agree that its a bit boring to fly in perfect weather all the time. More clouds and wind would do the trick for a start I think and would give the same map a different flavor next time you play it.

Just my 0,02€

Best regards,
Matt

Offline LEADPIG

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Wether to have weather?
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 09:55:28 AM »
The constant same weather is boring me too. The gameplay is great in AH...i just wish the graphics such as same buildings and trees appearing over and over again and no clouds every now and then and weather make it boring. I wish it had more of a IL2 look in the weather , clouds graphic department, it would greatly increase the imersion level. :D

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Wether to have weather?
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2007, 09:59:50 AM »
Originally posted by LEADPIG
The gameplay is great in AH...

Ever think the game environment has something to do with it?

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
Wether to have weather?
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2007, 10:23:19 AM »
I flew in my second snapshot ever last night...

It was a night mission and there were only a small number of pilots, but it ducking rocked.... So much that we ended up haveing a second round....

I dont think it would work in the MA, but it does make for some fun and that being said I would love to fighting in a thunder storm with heavy rain, dark clouds and bolts of lightning randomly stiking the ground....

NOTE: I DONT CARE IF THEY DID OR DID NOT FLY IN STORMS DURING WWII

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Wether to have weather?
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2007, 10:36:19 AM »
Don't know what game you guys are flying, but depending upon the map that is up, I have seen cloud formations and fog.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the "weather" is designed into the map by the map maker along with wind (direction/speed/altitude).

It was awhile back, but HT put up a map that had a "foggy" appearence to the landscape. The farther you looked out ... the hazier it appeared until you couldn't see I would guess beyond 12 miles or so. People pissed and moaned about it so it went bye-bye.

The cloud formations in AH I were blocks and looked pretty hoky as far as I am concerned. Yes, they provided thick cover, but I don't think that they had a place in AH II.

I would presume that somewhere along the line, we will see better cloud formations are a result of CT development, but until then we are stuck with what we have now.

As far as the sun ... flying directly into the direction of our current sun stabs my eyes just fine ... I see no need to add anymore discomfort.

As far as rain/snow ... I don't think so ... current cards have a hard enough time with what we currently have nevermind adding that kind of stuff.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
Wether to have weather?
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2007, 10:39:36 AM »
Think the point was -

Same perfect summer day everytime you logon has gotten old.
Would be nice to have some variation for a change.

I remember one Saturday a long time ago HT came into the old MA and turned on fog.
Everyone liked it, and contrary to what you might think reported an increase in frame rates, as opposed to a drop.

Just a change from the ever constant weather we have now would be nice.
People are already complaining about the lack of maps since the arena split, weather may give them another lease of life, for a while anyway.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory