Author Topic: OT? New Phone w/ 262k color display...  (Read 151 times)

Offline JCLerch

• Copper Member
      • http://Lerch.no-ip.com/atm
OT? New Phone w/ 262k color display...
« on: February 17, 2007, 01:20:49 PM »
Greetings Gents.

I installed a Saltwater Screen saver in my old phone (1st step in the install procedure is "Fall off boat into ocean" :confused:

Anyway, new phone has a 262k color 240x320 display.  Most jpg pictures look good / great on it except a few sunset shots I have which end up with color banding.  If I reduce the color depth to 65K color with a dither style reduction, the picture looks better.  However, I'm now limited to 65K colors out of a possible 262k colors.  

Is there a software option out there that will save a jpg (or other format file) with 262K color depth?  I've looked around a bunch this morning with no luck.  Tried irfanview, paint shop pro, photoshop, and Gimp with no luck... (of course I might be an idiot, I did fall off the boat after all!! :)

BTW, how does a 65k color 24bit jpg work?

65K color = 5 bits red, 6 bits green, 5 bits blue, yes??

262K color = 6 bits each red, green, blue, right??

This craps so confusing.. :)  All I want to do is make the pictures on my new phone look as good as they can.  BTW new phone is a Samsung M610, it plays MP3s, MP4 video, and does a decent job as a photo album, all the time still pretending to be a phone and not a "Barbie Laptop" (IE a Treo, etc...)

:D