Author Topic: EsX_Raptor On Board!  (Read 479 times)

Offline EsX_Raptor

• Copper Member
EsX_Raptor On Board!
« on: March 12, 2007, 12:24:24 PM »
Hello to all Aces High II pilots and players from the n00b Raptor =]
I seriously have to say that my knowledge of airplane controls, functions, etc are very limited and thus need some advice from advanced users like you on how to operate those controls so that I can have a better flight experience xD

Besides, I'm not a native English speaker so if you all for some reason notice any faulty or erroneous misuse of words in sentences from my part, please excuse me xD... I'm also havig a hard time trying to figure out the meaning of some abbreviations you all use here such as CT for Combat Trim... you all get me right?

I'm a Spanish speaker and it'll be great if any of you here who speaks it too lets me know =]

It is pretty ovbious that I enjoy piloting the P-51D lol, it is a great plane and it'll be cool if I get any tips no matter how small they are on how to fly that plane better ;D

Ok

Some questions I've got are the following:

- What in the world is a Combat Trim, how do you use it and what does it do?
- What's a good landing speed for the P-51D?
- I have no idea how to bomb with it
- Nor how to aim the rockets with it
- Why is that when I'm about to land and I'm going directly to the ground, the plane at the last moment kind of levels itself and it is difficult to touch the ground? Like I have to push the joystick down harder =/

Those are my questions for the moment =]

Thanks to every one of you for your support!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 12:26:35 PM by EsX_Raptor »

Offline hammer

• Gold Member
      • netAces
EsX_Raptor On Board!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 12:42:52 PM »
Welcome Raptor,

Let me point you to the Trainers' Website where most, if not all, of the questions you have posed can be answered in detail. Here is the short form:

Combat trim automatically adjusts your plane's trim (think of it as small adjustments to the controls) to keep your plane in level flight at whatever speed you are going. While you are learning, leave it on and don't worry about it.

Good landing speed for the P-51 is about 110 - 125.

Easiest way to bomb in a P-51 is with a near vertical dive. Press BACKSPACE key until your ammo counter says B##. The ## is the size of the bomb, minus a 0. For example, B50 is a 500 pound bomb. Your secondary trigger drops the bomb.

Rockets are selected and fired the same way as bombs. The ammo counter will say RKT #, where # is how many rockets you have. Aim lower than your gunsight. How much lower depends on how far away you are.

I haven't really noticed having to push the nose down to land. It could be that you are going to fast and have too much lift.

Regards,

Hammer
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 01:13:52 PM by hammer »
Hammer

JG11
(Temporarily Retired)

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
EsX_Raptor On Board!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 01:05:02 PM »
Originally posted by hammer
[...]Press ESC key until your ammo counter says B##. The ## is the size of the bomb, minus a 0. For example, B50 is a 500 pound bomb. Your secondary trigger drops the bomb.[...]

Thought it was the BACKSPACE key....
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline hammer

• Gold Member
      • netAces
EsX_Raptor On Board!
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 01:14:35 PM »
I have no idea what you are talking about..... ignore the "last edited by Hammer..." ;)
Hammer

JG11
(Temporarily Retired)

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
EsX_Raptor On Board!
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 01:41:04 PM »
Welcome aboard
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline KayBayRay

• Copper Member
EsX_Raptor On Board!
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 04:31:26 PM »
Yeah you use the backspace to cycle through what ever ordance/ammo  you have installed to your aircraft.

That flairing you speak of may be from the use of flaps. If you use your flaps to land (as you should be for better control) it will increase the surface area of  your wings and give you more lift. Therefore you may be compensating for this by having to force your aircraft downward to make contact with the ground.

What I have trouble with is hitting a target with bombs or rockets. I am pretty good in the Training arena because I can see a visual impact point generated on the ground as I am flying. Unfortunately that aid is not in the main arenas. I wish there was somthing other than Kentucky Windage.

IIRC I thought most of the aircraft of WWII that were used for dive bombing missions had some kind of bombsight for dive bombing to assist the pilot in seeing the point of aim. However I could be mistaken.

Any advice on improving my accuracy would be greatly appreciated.

Later,
kaybayray
See ya in the Sky !!

Offline lagger86

• Nickel Member
EsX_Raptor On Board!
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »
Any relation to "East Bay Ray"
Lagger

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
Landing any aircraft
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 08:31:49 AM »
Some basics:

Keep in mind that the idea of the perfect landing is to have both wings stall exactly as the landing gear touches the runway.  That flaps are not a speed control but are used to increase the angle of descent.  When flaps are applied, they require the pilot to do one of two things,  lower the nose to maintain the current indicated airspeed and there by give up altitude or increase power to maintain the current altitude and airspeed.  An Airport traffic pattern was and still is made up of 5 elements, (1.Pattern Entry, (2.Down-wind, (3.base leg and (4.final approach, (5. Touch Down and roll out.  There are  many ways to enter the airport pattern the idea is to arrive at the traffic pattern airspeed, that was 250 indicated for most fighter airfields in WWII.  The down –wind is  parallel to the intended runway of landing, flying in the opposite direction of the intended landing heading.

For landing any aircraft , indicated airspeed is critical.  Airspeed during the entire approach is the most important element.  To slow you may stall and crash, to fast and the aircraft will float down the runway or fishtail after landing.

You need to start to slow the aircraft down for landing prior to entering down wind for your landing runway.  You control airspeed with the stick, raise the nose, lowers the airspeed, lower the nose raises the airspeed.   You control altitude with power, you want to go up you add power, you want to go down, you reduce power.  

The P51 will allow you to lower the first notch of flaps (combat flaps) at 300 MPH indicated, with the power reduced or off you hold straight and level and allow speed to bleed off, at 300 you put out one notch of flaps.  At 250 you put in a second notch of flaps, power off, straight and level aircraft is slowing for pattern entry to land on the NE runway you are turing on to a SW heading for a Left Down-wind leg.  

On Downwind about 1500 feet AGL as your airspeed continues to slows to below 175 you can extend your gear and lower your nose to maintain an approach speed of 150, you are descending now and put in the third notch of flaps while extending your left down-wind for your  turn onto your left base leg (90 degree turn to the left) .  You are descending  now with the airspeed slowing to 125 use your stick and power to maintain 125  while descending to about 800 ft AGL.  Turning onto final approach about 1.5 miles from the end of the runway.  

Time for the Fourth and perhaps fifth notch of flaps. Allow speed to slow to about 110, but not less then 100.  As you approach the end of the runway, and begin your transition to level flight just above the runway, then hold it off as the aircraft starts to settle, hold it off, you will end up in a slightly nose high attitude with the airspeed slowing and approaching stall, keep wings level, you should be very close to a full stall, lots of shaking and stall warning horn.

Don’t forget the rudder.  Standard props need right rudder, but use what ever rudder is needed to hold center line.  As the aircraft slows even more the rudder will become ineffective.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline EsX_Raptor

• Copper Member
EsX_Raptor On Board!
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 07:36:06 PM »
Wow thanks! :D
That's some excellent info right there xD
Now I'll have to apply and practice it x__X... lol
Thanks.