Author Topic: Need some LCD TV help...  (Read 111 times)

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
Need some LCD TV help...
« on: February 20, 2007, 01:45:30 AM »
Could use some help with LCD TV info.

Looking to by a new TV (getting tired of the 14 inch CRT TV).

I could use some advice what to check for and what to avoid. At the moment I am not willing to spend a whole lot (possibly around 600 or so).

What IS important to me is good contrast as I intend to use it with the computer for picture editing. Now this is no deal braker, if I get better quality on my computer screen I will just use that but would be nice to have it on the TV.

I was in a store checking two TV's beside eachother, they both had a contrast of 1000:1. The film they were playing was Sin City. I found it to be exelent to check contrast. What surprised me was that one TV showed the contrast level in the faces very well, same as I am used to. Meaning that if there were 5 nuances of black in one persons face I saw all those. The other TV showed half the face (mostly) black and the other part as it should be seen.

Hard to explain really but it got me thinking a bit more.

What else differs two TV's with the same specs but a price difference of 300 or 400 bucks?

Also, checking Samsung, they are pretty much the only ones with contrast higher then 1200 (as I've found so far). They offer (not my pricerange though) LCD's with contrast 5000:1 which is near what plasma TV's give. Is this true contrast or is it some weird way of messuring in order to look better? Software contrast enhancment?

I am guessing contrast ratios and numbers are much like cameras and the megapixel hystery.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
Need some LCD TV help...
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 01:54:38 AM »
Ahhaaaaaa....

Found a good link about the contrast testing methods and also contrast importance in TV's and projectors.

Here

Looks like it is indeed just a way to try and sell without making too much impact.

So what should I look for?

Thanks in advance.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.