Author Topic: p-47M  (Read 2661 times)

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
p-47M
« on: February 22, 2007, 05:29:13 PM »
this thing is a hot rod!!!

top speed 470!!

it was used to catch v-1 flying bombs!!

scored victories over the 262 and the 234 jets!!

had air brakes fitted to the wings so it could decelerate once it caught the enemy planes!!

the LA what??

the p-47M, accept no substitutes!!

obviously a perk ride (or not)
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
p-47M
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 06:27:39 PM »
Our P-47N already goes 472mp/h, so...

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
p-47M
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 06:29:33 PM »
I think they said "no" to the P47M because it was only used for specific duties (mostly V2 interception). It was only one group, and not a wide-spread variant. It had large teething problems as well, and naturally those won't be modeled in AH.

I say leave it out, use the -N instead.

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
p-47M
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 06:31:06 PM »
Only if they'll let the N wear M skins. Theres some really kewl lookin ones to be done.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
p-47M
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 08:10:21 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
I think they said "no" to the P47M because it was only used for specific duties (mostly V2 interception). It was only one group, and not a wide-spread variant. It had large teething problems as well, and naturally those won't be modeled in AH.

It wasn't used to intercept V2's.  Nothing could intercept V2's but the ground. It was envisioned that with the higher speeds it could possibly intercept V1's, but was never used in this role, because by the time it was fielded, the V1 launch sites, for the most part, were behind allied lines.  56th FG used all of them, and when the engines worked as advertised, they were hot aircraft.

P-47N has a top speed about 10 MPH less than P-47M, although its the same engine, but in a D airframe.  N model was much heavier, with a max t/o weight some 3000lbs greater than the M.  Remember though, that the 470+ MPH top speed was achieved at something like 32,000 feet.  Just like all the Jugs already in AH, that capability is, for the most part, wasted as the combat only exists in the "too impatient to climb zone".

Personally, I don't buy the "teething" argument as many of the AH MA hotrods had the same or worse.  Mostly with the M, it was a matter of learning how to make the engine perform properly and maintain it.  Introduced in early '45, the 56th FG mechanics, working with P&W contractors ironed out the engine problems over the course of a couple months.  Some other AH MA hotrods left the factory with airframe, engine, weapons problems, or just plain shoddy workmanship.  The only condition that I see as a factor is that only 130 were produced.  On the other hand, I wouldn't think that it would be too hard to introduce, since all you'd have to do is model the -N engine in a P-47D40 airframe.  I'm no programmer, so I have no idea how difficult this would be to do, but it seems like it would be easier than creating a new airplane from scratch, or even remodeling a current plane that is one of the older models like the F4F.  I'll defer to HTC to make that determination.  

What I really wish they'd let us do is model the M skins on the D-40, since they already let us use C, D-15 and D-23 skins on the D-11.  And, the perfomance difference between a D-11 and a D-23 is equally or more (since a D-23 can carry ordnance and would climb like a D-25) than the performance difference between a D-40 and an M.  Further, the appearance of the D-40 is practically identical to the M, whereas the difference between the D-15 and D-11 is noticeably different, with the D-15's and beyond having wing pylons, and the D-11 without.  Personally, I wish they'd just add both to the planeset, and then I could find something else to post about.:aok

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
p-47M
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 08:11:47 PM »
Originally posted by Treize69
Only if they'll let the N wear M skins. Theres some really kewl lookin ones to be done.

Why not?  They let a M model P-38 skin in for the J.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
p-47M
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 09:01:11 PM »

There's some holes in this reasoning. P-47Ms never chased a single V1. By the time they arrived in Britain, the V1 launching sites had already been overrun.

Substituting the P-47N for the P-47M doesn't work well. Based upon the P-47D-27, the M was much closer to our P-47D-25 in terms of appearance and range.

There's no lack of flight test data to model the P-47M, which was a much better climber than the heavier N model.

Of all fighters that could be added with minimal effort, the P-47M and P-38H are the easiest. There are zero visual differences between the P-47D-25 and P-47M, just as there are no visual differences between the P-38G and P-38H. You need only an appropriate skin (there are already several P-38H skins in the game now). The labor involved would be modifying the flight models to conform to test data.

P-47D and P-47M flight test data

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
p-47M
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 10:21:50 PM »
Well they've flat-out said "no" to 47M skins, and if I recall they've flat-out said "no" to the 47M itself.

They must have a reason.

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
p-47M
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 10:27:15 PM »
They also keep telling us CT is just a little while off, I think when I started perusing the boards 2 years ago it would be by summer...

Wait, who are you? Howd you get in here?? TAKE YOUR HANDS OFF ME! AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
p-47M
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 11:15:11 PM »
Well they've flat-out said "no" to 47M skins, and if I recall they've flat-out said "no" to the 47M itself.

They must have a reason.

It would be nice to know, wouldn't it?

Widewing, do you know what weights were used for these tests?  I couldn't see anything except for the N, where it said normal fuel load of 205 gallons.  I'm also assuming no armor or MG's/Ammo.  Nice gouge!

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
p-47M
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 11:53:48 AM »
Originally posted by Stoney74
It would be nice to know, wouldn't it?

Widewing, do you know what weights were used for these tests?  I couldn't see anything except for the N, where it said normal fuel load of 205 gallons.  I'm also assuming no armor or MG's/Ammo.  Nice gouge!

They define weights as "combat weight" and list them as follows. Note that the Army always tested with ammo or ballast in place of ammo.

P-47D-30: 12,731    

P-47M-1: 13,262    

P-47N-5: 15,790  

Note the 443 mph @ 29,000 ft. max. speed of the P-47D-30.

Note also that the P-47M DOES NOT have the same fuselage as the P-47N. It was merely a re-engined P-47D-27. It also lacks the under-wing pylons that were later fitted when deployed to Europe.

My regards,

Widewing
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 11:56:22 AM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
p-47M
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 12:06:21 PM »
Back in late AH1 i ran the campain for the N model. A few months after i had to leave we got it. :)

The M is just a hotrod and the N is almost as fast but better in almost every other category.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
p-47M
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 12:09:14 PM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
Back in late AH1 i ran the campain for the N model. A few months after i had to leave we got it. :)

I have an idea: Do a campain for the Do 217 and then leave and  play something else :D
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
p-47M
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2007, 12:12:50 PM »
Hehe

The DO would be nice to have indeed.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
p-47M
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 12:47:39 PM »
He is just politely asking you to leave.
 :p :D

Nilsen

Bronk
See Rule #4