Author Topic: Interesting proposal on DRM music  (Read 441 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Interesting proposal on DRM music
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2007, 06:30:49 AM »
Originally posted by Vulcan
Guess what Skuzzy, thanks to RIAA lbbbying in NZ you fall into the category of a pirate.
Ironic, isn't it?  Anout half my library of vinyls are no longer in production in any format.

Many of my vinyls have been re-mastered for CD production.  Unfortunately, many also are completely different from the original vinyl master.  The Beatles re-masters are some of the worse.  Things like George Harrison's guitar solo in Let It Be are just gone.  Same with many of Starship's cuts.

It runs the gamut, from missing background vocals, to missing instrument tracks.  And all of them suffer, to some degree, some sound engineer thinking it would be cool if all bass guitar and bass drum actually caused a thump in the sub-woofer of a decent audio system.

Studio sound engineers who have never heard a live symphony in a good venue irritate me.

They want me to pony up and re-buy the music I have already purchased.  Screw em.  When they outlaw installing viruses (root kits, anti-this and that) on my computer just because I want to make a copy to protect my investment, then I will consider purchasing production CD's.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2007, 06:43:43 AM »
They've nobody to blame but themselves.

The original reason I went so ape over Napster after it first came out was because it was possible to find songs that had been out of production for twenty years or more.  Or songs that could only be purchased as part of a cd package that had fifteen more songs on it that I didn't want.

The more they tighten their grip, the more people will become involved in piracy.

HAAAARRRR!

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2007, 06:59:56 AM »
Originally posted by Shuckins
...The more they tighten their grip, the more people will become involved in piracy....

EXACTLY the point.

thats the whole reason I do the "naughty" things. I am NOT re-paying for young MC's full "best of" hits to get a song I own already on a cassette single I bought in grade school for $4 (for 1 SONG at that) just because I want to reminisce a bit about my youth.

I'm gonna DL the song because I already paid through the nose for it.

heck let's talk Pearl Jam's first album "Ten" for a moment. I bought the cassette back in the day, then played it to death, ruined it, bought another a few months later. then I bought it on CD when I finally got my own CD player. scratched the CD back when you couldn't fix scratched CD's without paying some guy $20 to do it at a store, and bought a second copy of the CD.

there's 1 single album I payed over $48 for overall ($9 each tape, $15 each CD)

,,|,, them if they want more money for any song off that album. I own it more than I should, and will do with it what I choose. play on my CD player, cassette player, make a hundred mix CD's with different track orders, play it on my MP3 player, play it on my computer, broadcast through my wireless thingy to my home stereo (which is not sending it anywhere else as you'd have to have the same special receiver for that brand audio devise, then run it into something via RCA plugs) or whatever else I can come up with, maybe a new MP3 player in the future once the HD dies on my current one.

all of those uses I listed above are fair usage of the song / songs I paid for, yet DRM says I can't do almost any of those.
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2007, 04:51:35 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy

Many of my vinyls have been re-mastered for CD production.  Unfortunately, many also are completely different from the original vinyl master.  The Beatles re-masters are some of the worse.  Things like George Harrison's guitar solo in Let It Be are just gone.  Same with many of Starship's cuts.

They actually did that right Skuzz.  The version of "Let It Be" on the 67 - 70 album is the single version (45).  It had a really sucky guitar solo.  In order to get the version with the good solo you have to buy the "let It Be album.  I'll agree though that the CD remasters of the Beatle's album sucks though...