Author Topic: Joystick question  (Read 378 times)

Offline Tsnow

• Zinc Member
Joystick question
« on: February 24, 2007, 12:40:18 PM »
Not sure If I should post this here or the Tech section:

I am currently using a St 290 pro and it has been a pretty good stick, but last night it was acting really weird.

I was flying during the day with no problems but when I logged on that night the stick had become incerdibly stiff, to the point of making creaking and groaning noises when ever I would pull back on it.

I lubricated it with some WD40 but it only seamed to loosen the stick up a little. All night every time I would pull back on the stick my plane would jerk and the stick will groan.

I went to bed frustrated and woke up with the intent of running out and purchasing a new stick. I went to try the stick this morning and to my surprise the jerking and groaning from the stick are gone.

So my dilema now is do I run out and get a new Joy stick or can I assume that the WD40 took a while to lubricate the ball and that's why I continued to have problems last night?

Are Saitek sticks prone to this type of thing? I am a left handed pilot and Saitek seams to be one of the only type sticks that are functional in both hands. If I do end up getting a new stick i am looking at the Saitek Aviator.

Any advice coments or tips on making a stick run smoother would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Offline DaChamp687

• Zinc Member
Joystick question
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 12:48:24 PM »
I have a St-209 Pro and I have never had a problem. I've had it for months and never had 1 problem but from what I've been told if ur gonna really spend time on the game u should get astick with more buttons. I fly ocassionlly and dont spend money to play in the main arena so I find it perfect for me.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Joystick question
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 12:53:19 PM »
If this stick has an external tension spring like the X45 and X52, grease the underside of the spring retainer with a silicon based grease. WD-40 will attack the plastic. This should stop the binding.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
Joystick question
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 12:53:39 PM »
Saitek is not known for long life.  But they are a reasonably priced stick with some nice features.  If it works again, It won't hurt to keep using it.

Maybe you had a spring hang up, or something come loose or out of place inside.  Do you have kids?? :)  It's hard to say.  I don't think Saitek's are made to be taken apart, so lubrication may be about the only thing to do.  It may be better to use a lubricant made for plastic parts.

Gunner
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Joystick question
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 01:22:45 PM »
If you wind up replacing the stick, you might try a Saitek Evo...around $35. It will provide you a few more features. Be sure to buy it with a replacement warranty, at a store such as Best Buy. As mentioned, low end Saitek sticks seem to have a 6 month shelf life. Your mileage may vary.

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
Joystick question
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 04:00:16 PM »
I'm also a lefty.  I used a Saitek Evo for a while.  It was great for the left hand but did not have enough buttons to free me from using the keyboard while flying.  It was also a little sloppy around the center and I found the htrottle to be too loose for my taste.   I tried the X-52 and it is not configurable for use with the left hand on the stick.   I don't know how much you are willing to pay but the answer for me was $300 for a CH fighterstick, Throttle, and pedals. (Provantage appears to have the best prices.)  I then paid to have the stick and throttle modified by Homeboy for lefty use.  It's not cheap but it's the best answer for a lefty who wants good gear.  Look here http://www.ch-hangar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3313 for the lefty HOTAS info.  Homeboy does beautiful work.  You won't be disappointed.  I've used it almost daily for months and it's flawless.
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL