Author Topic: cold war certificate program  (Read 485 times)

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
Re: cola wars
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2007, 12:09:14 AM »
Originally posted by wes34th
No, but if you had a russian sub up your tail pipe you would understand:lol

You find me the russian sub with wheels on the bottom, and I'll give
it my full attention ;)
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
cold war certificate program
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2007, 04:50:40 PM »
Originally posted by firbal
I got mind a couple of years ago. Took I thing less than a month to get mine.

Sounds like you didn’t get the whole package. :huh

Offline Hawco

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2007, 05:25:36 PM »
Any of you cold war boys ever go to Berlin during the cold war? I'll never forget the Russain soldiers trying to swap badges and other crap with you for packs of smokes etc, they also swiped our ID cards, you that have been there will know the drill, Best uniform when crossing into the Eastern/Russian part, Trying like a bear to spend every East german mark you could as you couln't take it back across with you, was a strange place but full of life, very surreal.

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2007, 05:29:34 PM »
Originally posted by FiLtH
You didnt provide your name and ssn did you?

Filth help me out on this one...

I'll send ya my full name, SSN.... and various Credit Card numbers with the PIN to verify my American Citizenship okay?

Can you get me a Coin?

Mac

Is this upright and real?

Link?

Is it outta Nicaragra?  Tired of them butterers...They Lie!

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
Re: medal
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2007, 05:54:49 PM »
Originally posted by wes34th
you can also get a medal if you order it from a private company.the medal can only be displayed in certain ways.also, thanks to rumsfeld you don't get the military medal for the uniform just the certificate and the private medal.gee, staring down the russian bear and all that bull we put up with like missions other than war really paid off:rofl

I think the medal you all are referring to is the National Defense Service Medal (and Ribbon).  Subsequent NDSM awards get the bronze service star (that usually got looks from "the kids" during Class A inspections).  There is a lapel pin you can get for civilian wear.  I didn't have to buy either.  That's on the unit awards coordinator (or budget) more than anything most times.

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Awards/NationalDefenseServiceMedal.htm

I got that separately from the Certificate of Recognition, DD FORM 2774, 1 JUL 98
Service during the period of 2 September 1945 to 26 December 1991, that I listed above.

Just another example of awards being given out as candy in modern military.  WW II Vets that did a lot more than me have a couple medals to show for it, whereas 15 to 20 ribbons on an NCO (like me) or Officer is not uncommon these days.  The Bronze Star (w/o Valor device) handed out to leaders for what their troops do in country was one in particular that bothers me.