Author Topic: Replace Current Oily Windshield: Suggestions?  (Read 3865 times)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Replace Current Oily Windshield: Suggestions?
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2007, 05:57:50 PM »
Another well known photo of a oil covered Jug.

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2007, 03:38:34 AM »
You know, even having 3 different oil 'patterns' would be cool, like someone above said.

That would be relatively easy to impliment, I'd think and you could have something like 'Minor', 'Moderate' and 'Severe' hits....

We could even have severe leaks favoring one side for example or something like that?

That would be a nice addition.
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2007, 07:06:43 AM »
Originally posted by Xasthur
You know, even having 3 different oil 'patterns' would be cool, like someone above said.

That would be relatively easy to impliment, I'd think and you could have something like 'Minor', 'Moderate' and 'Severe' hits....

We could even have severe leaks favoring one side for example or something like that?

That would be a nice addition.

Yeahhhhhhh...! :aok

Probably item 5,023,497 on the list of things to do at HTC. :rofl
~Nobodee~   Get Poached!
Elite: Dangerous ~ Cmd Odeed

http://www.luxlibertas.com/

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
HTC already did it !!!
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2007, 01:45:47 AM »
Originally posted by Odee
Yeahhhhhhh...! :aok

Probably item 5,023,497 on the list of things to do at HTC. :rofl

I was flying a Hurricane last night over TT airfield and I got a nose hit.  To my surprise steam was puffing up from the nose of the plane.  I have never ever appreciated damage to my plane before.  For a split second, it felt like someone had granted my wish.  Still, it was an awesome effect.  Excellent marks for HTC:aok

Anyone who has any questions as to what I am asking to see implemented, should fly the Hurricane (can't remember if it was IIC or Mk I).  :cool:

Placing the smoke in front of the cockpit instead of behind,  don't know how that would impact frame rates.   It would be sweet if it were just that simple to code.  ___________________

Odee, those were manly tears.  You know, like in Bud Light commercials.  (Chilli reaches for Odee's beer).:D

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
Re: HTC already did it !!!
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2007, 01:52:28 AM »
Originally posted by Chilli
...Odee, those were manly tears.  You know, like in Bud Light commercials.  (Chilli reaches for Odee's beer).:D

*drops the Snikers bar on the table, and back warily away* :O

Cool, Chilli...  I mean, like... ya know?  It's like goin into a biker bar and orderin Cranberry Juice... No sweat man.  

*runs screaming into the night*  It's a mad house!  A mad house!
:lol :noid
~Nobodee~   Get Poached!

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
I said Vodka and Cranberry Juice!!!
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2007, 06:02:29 AM »
Cool, Chilli... I mean, like... ya know? It's like goin into a biker bar and orderin Cranberry Juice... No sweat man.

Let a man make one lil slip up ............:D

Did you guys know that the Hurricane had this kind of damage and you weren't telling me.:confused:  Oh, man it was awesome. :O
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 06:05:35 AM by Chilli »

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2007, 12:39:53 PM »
Saw the same thing in my pony last night when I took a oil line and coolant hit...  Scared heck outta me, but I had that get in touch with your femenine side moment too  :eek:

Shame I hit a tree trying to land the kills made earlier... :cry :cry
~Nobodee~   Get Poached!

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2007, 02:16:22 PM »
Some planes seem to have there own special damage. The thing that mostly happens to that plane when hit. D9 and typh seem to be radiator first. P40 always seems to be flaps first. Is it me or do you guys see that too?

~AoM~

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2007, 06:43:52 AM »
I can see from the oft used photo that the oil has been blown out the upper engine cooling vent gap and been directed by prop wash and normal air flow over the wing root to the cockpit........

On a P47.

I could see how this also applies to most radial engined Bloooo planes and the Zekes and may be some others where the engine cooling is basically 360 degrees.

Even so I expect that the engine leak concerned is some where near the top of the engine?

Are there any pics of this re hurricanes spitfires, p51's, Yaks, Tony's and 109's? where would oil eminate from the engine canopy on these water cooled birds that did not have air vents to direct oil flow at the canopy screen? ( I dont know of a yak picture)

What about Radial FW190's and lavochkins where the cooling vents are low on the engine canopy sides?

Ideally (admitting that ideally is not something always doable)

It seems to me

that radials could have the oil leak source split to upper or lower engine.
that radials with 360 degree air flow vents (out) should allow oil to flow upper or lower fuselage accordingly.
that radials with side only vents should have oil flow out along side fuselage accordingly
that inline water cooled should have oil flow out accordingly (where from??)

Then the degree of oil black out is a feature of the model type for various single engined planes just as it is on various twins/singles.

That given that the cockpit canopy should be capable of sliding back as would be possible on the model.....the degree of black out should be as would be experienced on the model.....
Ludere Vincere

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2007, 11:17:12 AM »
Not all the blue planes had 360-degree cowl flaps.

The F4U-1 did, but I think the top 3 or 4 were usually permanently fixed closed in the field (actuators removed, I guess?) due to oil throwing under NORMAL operations, much less from damage. I think most 1As and later didn't have those particular flaps at all.

Not sure about the cowl flap arrangement on the Wildkitty or Fatcat.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2007, 01:43:31 PM »
During my banner towing days on the Jersey Shore, while towing the Allen Carpet banner near Sandy Hook, NJ and just about to cross over to tow  Coney Island beach NY when I lost one jug on the 150HP Lycomming.  

The aircraft was a J3 Cub modified for banner towing.  Hot Oil was thrown up on the windscreen and I had to side slip left and right to see, I had the right side of the J3 open and I had to lower the left side window as it became covered in oil film to be able to continue to see out that side when I slipped in that direction.  As I remember it there was no white smoke, just heavy black smoke out of the exhaust stacks .  I think HT has it pretty much right the way it is.  

Oh, I lost the banner, but was able to put the J3 down at the fish factory which had a runway for the fish spotter fleet that work out of Leonardo NJ.  The aircraft which was classic Cub Yellow at the start of the flight was now black from the spinner hub back to the cockpit and brown from the cockpit back to the tail.  I was covered from head to waist from leaning out into the slip stream to see where I was headed.  You could not see forward through the windscreen at all. The inside was a total mess. Oh yea, the oil was very very hot. I had a few second degree burns on the face, neck and arms.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2007, 02:36:39 PM »
I don't think its modeled inaccurately though it would be nice to have more variable types of damage.  It would be even more fun to have the worst of the oil stains cover the front windscreen almost entirely and be able to open the cockpit to see better.  Of course our pilot would go ouchies ouchies! and cuss occasionally.

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2007, 11:48:12 PM »
Originally posted by Traveler
During my banner towing days on the Jersey Shore, while towing the Allen Carpet banner near Sandy Hook, NJ and just about to cross over to tow  Coney Island beach NY when I lost one jug on the 150HP Lycomming.  

Nice story, and even better flying!

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
YES! Someone Who Gets It!!!
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2007, 12:18:28 PM »
Originally posted by Tilt
I can see from the oft used photo that the oil has been blown out the upper engine cooling vent gap and been directed by prop wash and normal air flow over the wing root to the cockpit........

On a P47.

I could see how this also applies to most radial engined Bloooo planes and the Zekes and may be some others where the engine cooling is basically 360 degrees..................Are there any pics of this re hurricanes spitfires, p51's, Yaks, Tony's and 109's? where would oil eminate from the engine canopy on these water cooled birds that did not have air vents to direct oil flow at the canopy screen? ( I dont know of a yak picture)

That's what I'm talkin about:aok   I think Filth also has a point that seemingly, type of damage has been altered on some models.  

So, compromise :confused:   Keep it, enhance it, even make my life miserable for choosing to fly a jug or likewise vulnerable to oil damage aircraft. :huh  Just turn it off or down in those not as vulnerable.  ( I would much rather recieve engine sputters or even dead engine with more frequency than currently every HO resulting in spiderweb).

Traveler, awesome story and point of view.  This does firm up a suspicion that oily damage would be more likely or severe in jugs (closely resembling wings and rudder strapped to massive engine).:D